1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Anyone running race head with dome piston wr300

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sandgroper, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have had the race head on my wr300 since new. the bike now has about 40 hours on it. Im looking at fitting the gas gas dome top piston. is it possible with the race head? Anything i need to keep an eye on with both mods made?

cheers
    S
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    My god man, how much power does one need? :eek:
    R_Little and Xcuvator like this.
  3. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Ive got a less than 1hr old gg300 piston, rings & wristpin beaing. I prefer the flat top piston. Looking for good home.
  4. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

what was the difference in power delivery like?

The dunes suck the power out of the 300 so im trying a few mods, lighter rear tyre, piston, lighter flywheel and possible a cr250 ignition but i dont know alot about electricals so thats last :)
  5. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Don't bother with the GG piston, it's nothing but trouble. If you want more compression have the race head cut further. The flat top should actually produce more power. You can have the squish cut to 4 degree and .045" at 40% of the bore, then set the volume for whatever short fuel you want to use.

If you want more top end power have the rear boost port cut so it's timed to open with the main transfer ports and boost port the piston. While you're at it, have the sub exhaust ports set 1mm higher and opened up for better flow, along with a good port clean up.

Then try a DEP pipe.
  6. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I dont have the race head. I installed it on my stock 2009 which had a 38pwk and pro circuit pipe/silencer.

If I remember right it felt a little more responsive off idle, but wouldn't rev out. I did one short ride with it, took it out and bought a Vertex flat top.
    It can be made to run and Pro Circuit has done it, but they have cool toys and big brains at their disposal.
  7. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    Pro Circuit did one for/with MXA magazine and it made 52 HP and a torque curve that would make a 4 stroke jealous.
  8. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanku for the feedback. Machining the head is pretty straight forward so i may do that instead of the piston based on your recommendation. Motorhead, how do those porting mods affect the bottom end and midrange?
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    You won't see any bottom end loss and it will improve from the mid up. If you set the squish at .045" with the head as it is, you will see an increase in bottom and you will have big gains all the way up. All the work could be done to the cylinder, as you can cut the deck to get the .045" squish with the thickest OEM base gasket installed.
  10. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

ok great, one step at a time and see how she runs. thanks again.
  11. jaxsplatt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '10 WR300, 2000 TE410
    Keep us posted Sandgroper as im Interested in gaining some extra ponies, and I like the sound of Motorheads advice:thinking:
  12. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

porting aint my specialty so i will start with the basics. unfortunately i dont have dyno access so its going to be a ride it ans see approach.