1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc anyone runninga PWK 36 on their 144?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by razornpc, Jun 16, 2010.

1. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

if so im wondering about what jetting to sart off with.

im wanting to try to put the carb off of my 200 ktm onto my husky 144.

any help is appiciated guys!
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Mark / NWRider is.

From the 125 jetting sticky...

Year & Bike Model = 2006 WR125
    Pipe & Silencer = stock with TCII
    Other Mods = 36mm PWK, RB cut head, 50% Avgas
    Temperature range (deg F) = 60
    Elevation (feet) = 1500
    Main jet = 162
    Pilot jet = 42
    Needle = JD Blue (from old 250sx JD kit)
    Clip position = 3
    Air screw setting = 1.5 (doesn't really matter much though)
    Slide = 6.5
    Conclusions/Results = Runs clean. Will chug and pull on the pipe with ease. Very little spooge. Go one step richer across range if using pure pump fuel.
  3. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

thanks kelly, i missed this some how earlier.
  4. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good to know - a 36 is what I'm putting on mine as soon as it comes in.
  5. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Let us know what you think of it
  6. noairkerr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 yamaha wr250f 2005 ktm 200 exc
    I too have a 36mm PWK. Came off a 2008 KTM 200 same flange to flange length has a 42 pilot ,#7 slide ,162 main. Just got it, have yet to try it out, am going to try a 172 main. Hopefully this weekend.:thumbsup:
  7. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

ok guys total FAIL on my part. then had some other stuff pop up i had to do. heres what i found for what its worth.

took both carbs apart last night, wrote down all the jetting/slide/needle specs. might post them later when i get home, not that it matters, the tmx is what it is.

did fint out the mount flanges are the exact same on both so they will mount up that way. looks like the pwk could use an adapter to make it the extra 7/16 longer so it will mount up nice with out pulling the air boot closer to make it work.

all in all very easy mounting it up. dialing the jetting in will be the hard part.
  8. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Kan't Take Much guy. Shouldn't you leave that carb on your orange thing and try to sell that bike to one of the many #%%@!%^^& Ktm guys out there!! Just kidding, but do not see the bigg fuss over the different carb. I will stick with stock. Good luck.
  9. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Bill has the new carb in so I'll try it out this weekend and post up.
  10. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I ran a 36mm PWK on my FBF 135 kitted WR125 and it worked really good.

I am debating on putting a 36mm on a 144 to see how it works.
  11. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I picked up the carb. Has a 165 main, 50 pilot and #5 slide. I'm not able to get at the needle yet to see what it is. I did purchase a 42 and 45 pilot and put the 42 in. I can't imagine it needing a 50 pilot - I think it would be blubbery rich at best on the bottom. My last two bikes (YZ125 and KX250) both ended up with 42-45 pilots depending on the season. I can't wait to get it bolted on let'r rip! (I might have to call in sick tomorrow!)
  12. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you bought a standard 36mm PWK it probably came with a DGJ needle. This did not work at all for me. I've had the best luck with the JD Blue, CCK, and DCL but I have not tried other options.
  13. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Was the DGJ too rich in the middle?
  14. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

No it would have a lean bog when the throttle was whacked open. I had to go all the way to the richest clip to make it go away and then it was rich at half throttle and up.
  15. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

16. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Attached Files:

17. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have had better luck with the CCK over the JD Blue.
  18. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 36 is mounted up and the only change I did was go up to a 45 PJ as the 42 was too lean. It ran well with no bog but had a flat spot that was apparent at full throttle in 4th-6th gear. It lugged down better then I expected it to with no stalls. I'm really happy with the bottom and top end - now to get the middle cleaned up. I'm still running the stock PV springs also with the arm adjusted. I'll get a CCK needle to see how I like it and then start playing with the PV springs from Wally.
  19. BikePilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2019 TX 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CR250R, Montesa 315R, XR650R..
    I suspect you'll loose some peak power with the smaller carb. Might be worth the trade-off or you could see about having it overbored or fitting a PWK 38. Just a thought:)

When I was racing 125s back in the 90s everything came with 36mm carbs stock and all the performance shops and teams ran 38s for a significant improvement in mid-top power. I was too broke to have a built up motor at the time though. For the past decade or so nearly all 125s have had 38mm carbs I belive. Ktm I think runs the smaller carbs on their woods bikes to improve low rpm running.
  20. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Lawn Dart,

You should try the CEL needle with the 36 and see how it works. It is the bomb in the 38's for the 250/300 and should be similar for the 144 in the 36. But what do I know as I have never tried the 36 and I am eagerly awaiting your final jetting thoughts.

When you get the kit go straight to the white spring with the silver inner spring if you have the PV linkage adjusted more than 2/3 of the way up. Just a starting point and a combination I really liked in my 144 before I ganked it out to install the 167.

Just random thoughts,
    Walt

Mike, I love your user name "lawn dart"