1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Anyone using the full power jet kit?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by redbone, Jan 28, 2010.

1. redbone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Anyone out there using the full power jet kit in the 09 or 2010 WR 300? I was wanting to get some details on how its working as far as performance, mileage and so on. Does it make a big difference?
  2. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

I bought it, but while I was waiting on it to come in on backorder I got dialed in pretty well with a clip position change on the stock needle and a different pilot,...and I never bothered with installing it when it finally came in. It's actually nothing more than the "GAY" needle that Johnny's running over on the Swedish ice, and a few fatter pilots, and a couple leaner mains anyways. Someone said the "GAY" needle made it burn a lot more gas,....I don't know.
  3. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

giving the "GAY" needle this name was mikuni's revenge for husqvarna's continuing efforts in two-stroke engines. i am pretty sure about that... :busted:

r
  4. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello! I´m the "GAY"-man! Haha! Yes, that´s right, i use that needle. it´s standard on my bike in the full power version. I really like the way the bike works as it is from my dealer. It was jetted with GAY needle in 3rd clip pos, 430 main and 45 pilot when i picked it up. I never rode it with that main as we have about 25 degrees F here and only go iceracing this time of the year. I put in a 480 main and left needle and pilot as it was, and it has been running very clean with a nice dark brown colour on the plug. I also tried a different needle named 6DEY15-74, but my bike didn´t work so good with it.I had a slight burble out of the corners and the bike didn´t go up on the rear wheel as it used to with GAY needle. It also hesitated on overrev. My friend said the same thing when he tried it. Maybe i try it in the summer and go one clip leaner. I can´t say that it takes more fuel than my previous CR 250-07 for example. My friend KTM 300 EXC -08 use more than mine. He needs to refuel earlier. He is running a 170 main on that(Keihin). I haven´t compared any other needles, but mine runs fine as it is now! A Husaberg 570 couldn´t outrun me on the straights when we were iceracing last weekend! He went:eek:!

Johnny
  5. yakka Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 '09
    In Australia the 300 ('09) comes standard with #430 main, #45 pilot & the GAY needle-3rd clip. Runs good, maybe slightly rich down low. A #40 pilot should make it near perfect.

The needle must make a big difference as it would explain why the standard US jetting is much richer on the main & leaner on the pilot.
  6. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    I am running the power up kit.

I was running the GAY needle with a 450 main and 32.5 pilot and this was just way too rich on the main.

Just switched to a 440 main and seems much better. Not sure, but I might put a richer pilot in.

I am going for a short ride today (hopefully) so we'll see...
  7. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

´ll go out on the ice tomorrow again. I will compare it now with the GAY needle in it again. We have 10degrees F now so the 480 main will stay. Almost time for the 490 at that temp! And an extra pair of underwear.. Tomorrow we will go out on the sea and race. It´s so frosen now that i can´t se floating water:sweden:!
  8. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

What temperatures do you have where you live? Humidity? Seems strange to me that my bike came with 420,430,440 mais when i have a so low temps here, 5-10F. It feels like i would blow my engine running on the ice with a 440 main! I use 480 now and it doesn´t burble at all.
  9. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Hey rusty, i k now you've posted it somewhere else, but can you re-post what you've done to get the stock needle dialed in? It looks like I'm on the verge of owning a 2009 wr300.

I'm not too worried about peak power, but i am worried about smooth drivability, easy starting, etc..., and somewhat about off-idle torque and stalling resistance. If I can get good versatility and drivability out of the stock needle, i may just go that route.

do the bikes come with any spare jets or needles like certain orange bikes do?
  10. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Certainly,...Fellow Cafe Husky'er 'Krieg' and I got our WR300s about the same time and sorta shared notes. All we ended up doing was raising the clip one notch on the stock 6BFY43-74 needle to lean it a tad, and swapping the stock 35 pilot out for a 30. Krieg later stepped back up half a step to a 32.5 pilot and liked that better, so naturally I got JD to send me one too, but I've still not tried it yet. I may put it in there for the first big ride this spring just to see how I like it, but I got by fine last year with the 30 just running the air screw out 2 1/4 turns in the heat of summer, and cutting it back as the temps dropped in the fall. My bike carburets just as crisply and cleanly from idle to WOT with this new TMX as either of my KTMs do with their Keihins, and does quite well on it's range with the stock tank as well. It does dribble a slight trickle of spooge,...(something Jeb would not tolerate :D)...but then so do both my Katooms.

Sorry,..no brief case, tool kit, or little tube of jets, needles and PV springs with the Husky,...but the grand you save will buy all that stuff handily.
  11. lunatick Husqvarna
    AA Class

I,ve got a 2010 WR 300 and i had to go down to a 30 pilot to get it right

PS i,m in queensland with temps over 30 deg Celsius and high humidity
  12. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

kewl. I stopped on the way home and putted around in some boring terrain near my house just to heat cycle the engine and see what the jetting was like. I had to turn the idle up a bit. With the AS at 1 1/4 or so the bike started without the choke, which tells me the pilot or needle could be leaned out slightly, but it started fine with the choke too, which tells me it's not hugely rich. after a bit i went to 2 turns out on the AS and it seemed to run pretty well. (3000', 50 degrees, dry air).

I'll pick up a 32.5 or 30, but leave it stock for a good ride that starts at normal morning temps (35-40) and see how it starts. Might be a good wintertime setup in there right now.

Moto-tech has 2 different styles of pilot jets that look identical except that one has a tiny etched ring around it about 3/4 of the way up the base of the jet. Any idea which of these is the right one? i'm lazy so i'd rather not remove the existing jet to bring it in and match it up.
  13. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    The motor's are super tight and take a while to loosen up. The stock pilot and main were livable, but the needle had to be leaned one clip to get the bike to run decent. This was March of last year, riding @ 1500-2500' and temps in the 20/30's.

My bike was a bear to start with the stock exhaust, but fired up super easy after putting on the PC pipe & silencer. It will fire now with the laziest of kicks. Guessing I was too lean with the 32.5 on the stock pipe, but its perfect for the PC unit.
    We'll see how things change next time I ride it with the PWK carb.

I just looked at the 35pj that came stock and there is a tiny ring etched about 7/8ths the way up the main shaft. Just below the identifying marks stamped into it.
  14. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

interesting. Mine started 2nd kick and i was wearing flimsy topsiders deck shoes.

I have found from my kx and 200xcw that needle/pilot interplay can make a large difference in starting. too rich is just as bad as too lean, but in a different way.

I'll be prepared to lean out the needle. Looks like i need to take off the seat/tank to easily get to the screws that hold the carb cap on. I'm kinda skeered of phillips screws for that location.
  15. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Those screws are junk. I yanked them for some stainless allen head bolts. Taking off the seat and tank takes 2 minutes..... its a one bolt affair :thumbsup:
  16. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Same as PC here on the rings. The stock 35 pilot I took out, the 32.5 that JD sent me, and all the pilots that came in the 'full power' kit all have the rings.
  17. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have made some experiment with the needles i have. I have changed my jetting to 6DEY15-74 needle in 2nd notch from the top, 470 main and 40 pilot, sea level and about -5 degees Celsius, and the bike rips! I runs very smooth on coldstart and idles on the choke for itself without any hesitation for at least 3 minutes before i push the chokeknob in, and it starts fine with a slight twist on the the throttle before i kick it. Smokes very little. Much better and smoother from zero to light throttle opening and strong in the middle! This needle gives more fuel in the low to medium throttle range, and seems to lean it out a bit at idle and very small throttle. My bike is not hitting the fuelreserve before my friends KTM EXC 300 is empty. I´m running 3,5% oil on the iceracing days and don´t have any spooge and very little smoke now. :applause:!