Apples-n-Oranges

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by pvduke, Oct 26, 2014.

1. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    2014 KTM 350 ECX-F v. 2012 Husqvarna WR300

Riders: two gnarled old doods you proly don't wana mess with if they aint had their coffee and Tylenol with over a million trail hours behind them.

His bike- stock, sans gearing change to 13/45, KTM Factory re-done suspension.
    My bike- bone stock Thor's Hammer that's lucky to see a bath or oil change once every year with a RR shock WAY overdue for service and a left hand grip that wont stop spinning.
    Price: KTM: (a lot) north of $9000.00. 300 Husky: $4899.00 out the door.
    Weight: about the same. Really, who cares, they are close enough. "Easy to get on the stand light"- how's that.
    Seat height: KTM is taller with both bikes @ 4" race sag.

Terrain: 3500-7000', 40+ miles of fun, dry, swoopy 2-track stuff, ugly steep rocky steps, hard-pan, rocks, no sand or whoops.

Impressions: the KTM 350 is probably the perfect bike. It's street legal, has a button, is super slim, the motor really works everywhere, the engineering is amazing, the fit and finish is a 10 and it looks like a race bike with all the killer bits on it. Owner claims it can cruise at 60mph. He's faster than me everywhere and the few minutes I can stay bar to bar with him it gives the 3hondo a solid run for the money. I can bridge gaps at will with a slip of the clutch, but the KTM's modified suspension and expert rider means he's way faster in the ugly stuff that I end up pogo'ing and nose wheelying over- my shock is so WAY overdue for a service, so there's that. But watching him ride he's sitting down and just FLYING up some truly ugly crap and you can see the bike just sucking it all up. It's a flying couch with a button and I hate it! I had to slow down and jump everything- my high-speed damping is now a high-speed spike. So yeh, get 6 feet of air off a 3 inch lip....long day for me, I need to fix that yesterday my shock oil is like mud I bet.

On the trailer they are as different as night and day. Really cool to see them side-by-side. I don't think one part from my bike would fit his. This is an Apples to Oranges comparo!
    But out on the trail they both serve the same purpose- eye-ball popping speed in the trees. I think the 300 turns better, much better, at least for me anyway. I also think the 2012 Husky 300 motor is the best off-road engine ever made, at least for me anyway. It has a TON of flywheel, great clutch and man you snap or slip the clutch and you had better be hanging on. I also like not having a battery or any of that stuff I seriously don't have time to diddle with anymore, I like kick-starting my bikes- good incentive not to stall on steep ugly crap! Oh- and the Katoom STILL gets hot on the long ugly climbs...really? Are they ever gona fix that??? The owner is on top of it and has some ZipTy XF coolant at home. That should help. And a fan. (lol) But that's the only fault I could find with it. Seriously- that was it. The KTM is stupid nice, the Factory has really got their stuff together and it shows. It's VERY impressive.

Summary: if I had the cash? Yup, like yesterday. It's not a 250F (too small), it's not a 450F(way too big), it's juuuust right. Burelson said it along time ago- "The 350F will be the perfect bike". Well, he's usually right, again. The thing is street legal, has a Button, engine's exhaust is whisper QUIET and has great power all over the place, it's controls are effortless, everything on it screams "race bike" or "trick parts", it's a thin as a toothpick and man it is WICKED fast, believe it. KTM nailed it, it's ready to race- with blinkers! It really is the perfect bike.

As you know, we don't do pics on the trail, so here's a couple from after the ride when we got back to the shop after some major shenanigans....
    Two burly doods:
    001.JPG

One Apple, One Orange:
    003.JPG

The Perfect Bike!:
    002.JPG

The perfect bike got roosted! Weeeeeeeeeee!
    004.JPG
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Let me see....I like Italian stuff, so....I choose.....that one!:D
    [IMG]
    pvduke, Bill502 and LandofMotards like this.
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Well Duke, just drop a few honeys in that Wrrrr and get the boingers dialed. Besides, out there in Amurica, can't you get that baby plated?
  4. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    yup! new plate on the way! braooop to the bar fer meeeeeeee!
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  5. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You would think for 9000 plus ktm would throw in the fan, they know the bike needs it !!!
  6. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    The bike is advertised as race ready if you were doing race pace you wouldnt need a fan but people delude themselves at how good they are, leave em to overpriced boiling bikes if it keeps em happy.
  7. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Very nice. My heart screams Italian.....the price is sweet!! Time will tell.....
  8. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Looks like an MV there Dirt Dame. Love your taste. What brand of boots are those please.