1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc APT Smart Carb Question

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Tentontimmy, May 2, 2013.

1. Tentontimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GSX-R1000
    OK, I know the Lectron carb has an increasing following on this site, but I have a question for the guys running Smart Carbs.

Has anybody found that their Smart Carb doesn't offer enough adjustability with the standard metering rod?

I ride in a part of the world where it is hot (80 to 90 degrees) and humid (80 to 90%). I just can't get the bike to run lean enough.

I spoke to the guys at APT and they said the carb has a usable range of 70 clicks from full rich (not 50 clicks as it says in the manual) on the low-speed adjuster. I have gone to 70, 80, 90 clicks from full rich and am still way rich.

My bike likes it LEAN: to get it running sweet I had to run a 35 pilot in my old PWK, and a special needle that JD Jetting sourced for me because neither of the needles in their standard jetting kit were lean enough.

At this point I am a little frustrated. APT initially said they would send a leaner metering rod to try, but now they say they are going to have one of their technicians call me because they don't understand how the bike can still be running rich. So far, nothing, and I am a bit gutted because I though the Smart Carb would be the END of my jetting woes!

Am I doing something stoopid :confused: ??
  2. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes
    454x likes this.
  3. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    I would think the closer you are to sea level the richer you need to to set the carb? do you have a stuck choke? My carb is set lean but I live at 6,000'?
  4. Tentontimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Thanks for the suggestion, a stuck choke could explain the rich running, particularly low-to-mid range. I will investigate.

I agree that at lower elevation, the bike runs leaner (so you must jet richer). But in my case that's offset by the fact that at warmer temperatures and higher humidity, the bike runs richer (so you must jet leaner).
  5. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    I had 2 husky 125/144s while I was last living in Florida(similar temps--65-95F and 70-100% humidity) and mine generally speaking used leaner settings than most others here on the forum.

Is it spooging?
  6. Tentontimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Yep it's spooging.
  7. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Humm I have the SC on my 08 CR WB165 and had no trouble dialing it in and no spooge. It does sound like the choke may be on somehow. I can't see you needing a different metering rod so something else is going on. Have you talked to a tec yet?
  8. Tentontimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Not yet. Will be interesting to hear what the tec can suggest. Thanks for the input.
  9. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I hope you get it sorted out.
    Just out of curiosity, do you know what your compression pressure is?
  10. Tentontimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GSX-R1000
    No, not checked the compression. Do you think poor compression might lead to these kinds of symptoms?

The bike was running sweet with the PWK right before the swap to the Smart Carb :excuseme:
  11. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    But you said you had to lean out the PWK, way beyond normal-
  12. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    If compression is low, you'll notice it at the bottom end the most. Will really struggle to get going and yes, will also appear to run super rich.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I ahve been dealing with some JD EFI tuners and Lectrons not working right in Australia and we have narrowed it down to the gas is WAY different then here. Maybe thats a big part of your issue. You might need a leaner rod to accommodate your fuel type.
    surfer1100 likes this.
  14. Tentontimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Thanks for the input everyone :thumbsup: . So now the list of things to investigate is:

- possible stuck choke
    - compression
    - fuel type

And also to speak to the APT techs.

Thanks again.
  15. Tentontimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Had another afternoon messing with the Smartcarb yesterday.

Turns out the nut that connects the choke assembly to the body of the carb had woked its way loose. This meant the choke plunger wasn't seated properly when the choke was in the off position, so the carb was continuously pulling fuel from the enrichment circuit.

Problem solved, cheers guys!

Cheers also to Corey at APT who could not have been more helpful, great customer service from those guys.
    john01 likes this.
  16. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Glad you got it figured out now you can just enjoy the ride; :cheers:.
    Coffee and Tentontimmy like this.