APT -v- Lectron

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Motosportz, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So the APT carb is very good IMHO after several rides testing it. Vinduro generously offered to let me try the new Lectron carb he bought. reading up on it seems VERY much the same, same engineer, same metering rod (no jets) kind of deal. What it seems to add is a Dial-a-jet type top end adjustment and less cost. My puzzlement is if they are similar technologies and the Lectron seems to add something more (But not external metering rod adjustment) whats the big deal about the APT and why has the Lectron not caught fire? the Lectron is less expensive and been on the market for years, so why no hype?

This article seems to paint much the same picture as I experienced with the APT. Better throttle response and overall jetting / run-ability.

http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product-reviews/2000/122900_lectron_carb.htm

My interest in this tech is peaked because of the APT. Is there already a cheaper solution out there but just not well publicized?

We will see. Anyone tried the Lectron carb? Seems some did and hated it but might have been because they did not get the right metering rod?

fun stuff.

let round 2 begin...

[IMG]
    huskybear, Steve-oh, typeone and 3 others like this.
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'm all eyes. Has he even tried it yet?
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No is out for a few months with injuries.
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That sucks. Well look forward to your report K. Thanks for allowing K to test your carb and give us and you the scoop :cheers:. Get healed up soon Vinduro.
    flyingbob and Blakelpd5 like this.
  5. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    SOMEONE PUT ONE ON A 300!! OR better yet, send it to me and I will put it on mine. :cheers:
    Long_Stroke and Dirtdame like this.
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

When my SC gets back I'll see if I can't put it on my friends 300 GG.
    marcmo0 likes this.
  7. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    subscribed :D

Power Jet or Power Jet High Velocity? what size, 36mm? i like the price way better!
  8. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    I am interested in this comparison as well, I am still waiting for apt to contact me and the price of the lectron and availability is definately better! This will be interesting:popcorn:!
  9. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    I remember the Lectrons being used back in the day(early '80s) This should be cool...... I wonder what Lectron has to say about the APT..
  10. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    probably:naughty:!
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  11. rajobigguy Administrator

Early Lectrons were great carbs for max HP like in drag racing but suffered from driveability problems. They were also finicky to tune. I think that the lastest versions have addressed some of those issues. I haven't seen one on a bike in many years so it will be interesting to see how they have improved.
  12. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Lectrons are not finicky to tune but some wouldn't change the needles if needed and just tried to adjust the full range with the adjustment. Like trying to tune a Keihin or Mikuni with just the pilot jet. Once adjusted they are altitude compensating and fuel efficient. Pentons used to come with them back in 1976. A Canadian / German friend of mine still uses them on most all his motorcycles , vintage and modern. Fast by Gast has been using Lectrons for decades in drag racing. Kenny Roberts used to use them on his road racers. I have used them on several motorcycles. Paul Gast bought Lectron a couple years ago and further refined the basic carb. I like the fact that you can drop the bike and the bike will continue to run without dying. Fuel economy will improve 20-30%.
    rajobigguy likes this.
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    It seems to me that the key to the Lectron is getting the correct needle. I haven't heard wether the Smart Carb offers different flat needles or if it has even been necessary to change one. If you think about it the needle is the all important piece in the Mikuni or really any 2t carb, without the right one the circuit transitions are a problem to tune.
  14. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

SmartCarb does offer a range of what they call metering rods for their carbs. I think the standaed rod is a A100 or something and it covers a wide range of bikes.
    lankydoug likes this.
  15. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

One of the major improvements in the Lectron carbs is the needles and how precise they are now made. I think they still use a 2 number system to designate their needles. Say they have a 5-2 needle. The first number is top end and the second number is midrange. If your top end is too rich then you need a 4-2 needle. Then if you midrange is too lean you go to a 4-3 needle. You adjust the low end "pilot" circuit by screwing the threaded needle in or out in 1/4 turn increments. You do need to pull the slide to do this. If your top end is very close but just a tad lean then you have a adjustable power jet than can be richened with just a screw driver. I think their standard Power Jet uses a #60 Mikuni pilot jet. I think the extra $15 for the adjustable one is worth the extra money rather than having to buy Mikuni pilot jets. Lectron sends the carb pre adjusted for the bike you tell them it is for so it will be very very close in jetting stock.
  16. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I go in Friday for a Right Shoulder Hemi Arthroplasty. Had my Left done this past Summer. 3 month healing time if lucky. I am tickled on the results of the first surgery. My shoulders are just eat up with arthritis.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks for the info. I read a bunch about the Lecton last night and it does seem the metering rod was confusing some "tuners" and might be the main issue some did not like it.
  18. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The Lectron is smaller and lighter than the Billet APT. One advantage of the Lectron is the Power Jet. Plus 38 years of refinement. Pentons were using these back in 1976. HiPoint sold them and some Pentons could be ordered OE with an Lectron. We used them on Factory Hercules in 1976-77 also. I also had one on my 1978 Team Yamaha IT175 too.
    steadydirt likes this.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The APT worked great. Had some issues with the throttle cable (which they are addressing on the cast version i have read) and also burned a hole in the bowl to bell crossover tube on my exhaust (that is also supposed to be address) and is rumored to flood the engine when the bike is flipped although I did not have that issue when i flipped my bike into the weeds (also supposed to be addressed). The CNC version is HUGE. The Lectron I bolted up in 5 minutes and have never touched again other than to lean the metering rod a half turn (the APT took 10-12 clicks and two, on the trail, throttle cable dislodges). I really like the Lectrons simplicity, build quality, throttle cable retainer (super EZ no brainer), performance, support (Kevin is awesome), and the ability to adjust the top end externally. Both great functioning carbs but I personally prefer the Lectron as it works, is available, well supported, zero issues, well tested and has worked perfectly for me for about 15 rides now. Love it. Will not be using any other carbs on my 2 strokes.