Armed Services Members to Ride Huskys at GNCC

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Norman Foley, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    March 17, 2009 - 01:16 PM

Armed Services Members to Ride Huskys at GNCC

Husqvarna Guest Factory Riders program salutes America's best at Rounds 3 and 4 of the GNCC Series

By: Press Release
    Article Comments MORE IN OFF-ROAD >> Since the "Husqvarna Guest Factory Rider" program was announced it's attracted the attention of riders across the continent hoping to be selected to participate at one of the 2009 GNCC events. Rounds 1 and 2 featured former AMA National and 6-Day "Husky Heroes", Terry Cunningham and Mike Melton who both did themselves proud with their performances and reminded us once again what made them great back in the day. Now with GNCC rounds 3 and 4 in the crosshairs a pair of Armed Services members, Jeffrey Gordy and Toby Atkins, has been recruited to pick up where Cunningham and Melton left off.

After retirement from a 27-year career in civilian law enforcement, Jeffrey Gordy joined the U.S. Army where he's served for the past couple of years including a 13-month stint in Iraq as an embedded law enforcement professional investigator with the 3rd Infantry Division 3rd Brigade.

"It is one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had and I look forward to continuing my service with the United States Army," said Gordy.

A two-time Police & Fire Motorcycle Olympian and prior to giving up riding to serve his country Gordy was a top finishing SETRA "A" class Hare Scrambles rider and runner up for the 2004-05 age group title. This soldier is also a tri-athlete and no slouch on or off a motorcycle.

As a Guest Factory Rider his intentions are "To represent service members and the law enforcement community who serve our country in Iraq and Afghanistan." He's also guaranteed that he won't tear up the Wyatt Seals prepped factory 450 Husky like he suggests his good friend Mike Melton did at Round 2. Game on, Jeff, and good luck to you!

With 5-years of off-road motorcycle racing under his ammo belt, Army Staff Sgt. Toby Atkins, became motivated about the Guest Factory Rider program after reading of the targeted outreach Husqvarna made to members of the U.S. Armed Services.

"It shows Husqvarna's genuine appreciation for what members of the Armed Forces have done, are doing and will continue to do," said Atkins. "No other manufacturer has done that and I truly appreciate it."

The 26-year-old Ohio native is an Army Combat Engineer with tours in Iraq and Korea. He's received recognition for training other soldiers how to shoot their weapons and how to drive the Bradley Fighting Vehicle; skills that may prove beneficial to him aboard the 450 Husqvarna.

"If it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight," he insists, "a Combat Engineer can do it!"

At the GNCC, however, Atkins' only plan is to ride like he's been trained to, and the only thing he's hoping to destroy is the competition. Win or lose he's certain to have an interesting ride.
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    salute!! to the real heroes
  3. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Cool stuff........just wondering how one joins the Army after a 27-year career in civilian law enforcement.(like you would be 50 or so) Probably mean the Army National Guard. And they bring a lot to the cause for sure. As valuable today as the "minuteman" was in 1775. Big Hoaah stuff
    Thanks Husky, Scot, and Rob.
  4. Husky Relic Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 511, 2012 TXC 310, 2013 TXC3
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW GS1200, Zero S, Zero DS, Zero FX
    I heard the army is desperate and will take anyone these days. How's your training coming Joe? Have you picked a date yet for your comeback ride at the GNCC series?
  5. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

LMAO! Deperate times mean desperate measures. I Have gone from :cripple: to :cheers: and finally enough snow has melted here I am :ride:. Got a motivational moment last week as I had the privlege of meeting Doug Henry while skiing and he was another personal inspiration to recovery/riding/racing. Just got to keep trying to hang on to the 310 as it whips through the trees.
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I like where this is going!! Go Joe!!! Husky needs another Pole at the control!!!
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Sounds great!

:lol:

Another possibility is he may be a consultant as opposed to the traditional 'joining'. It does seem strange.