1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc AV-GAS

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by racerjak, Mar 21, 2011.

1. racerjak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC 450 Rockstar - 15 FE 501
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW Boxercup, BMW k1600gt
    anyone tried av-gas in there wr250 or 300? Race gas is really getting expensive. can pick up avgas for 5.00 a gal. 100LL at an airport near my house. Doesn`t seam to be much different than 100 race gas.
  2. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

AvGas is not the best thing to run in your bike. Probably better than E10 Gasohol. Throttle response can suffer and some say you will loose a bit on top end also. Best bet is to mix it with real race gas. At least 1gallon of Race Gas to 4 Gallons of AvGas. 2 Gal. of RaceGas to 3 Gallons of AvGas would be best. OR mix 2 gallons of NON ETHANOL Pump Gas if with 3 gallons of AvGas , if you can find it. Watch mixing it with Castor based oils and Maxima 927 (also Castor based). It has a tendency to separate or not mix. I crashed an Aeroplane that used a 2 cycle engine because of this.
  3. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

They still make pump gas without ethanol around these parts D?

Going to be at Reds this weekend?
  4. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    Av-gas is designed to be a stable slow burning fuel. Airplane piston engines are large displacement slow revving and run at high altitudes and are usually supercharged. So it's anti-knock (100 octane if you will) is designed to cater to it's operating environment. That's why using an ethanol based auto gas is a bad idea in aircraft - at altitude the alcohol degrades and has a greater chance to vapor-lock.
  5. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'll be at Cornerstone. If you look hard enough you may find some unbranded gas that is non Ethanol or E0. But in Mississippi I have been told that it has gone away or is going away. I heard there was a station near Reynold's Pasture (Maplesville) that has straight gas. AvGas is only about a $1 more than pump premium. So if you can find some $8 race gas ( or non ethanol if you're lucky) to blend with it you are not going too deep into the hole and might acutally save your self a lot of headache and repair $. Just don't run it straight. You are not really going for the higher octane as 93 oct. works fine in most unmodified engines. You are going for NON ETHANOL GAS.
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

We still have non-ethanol premium available here and many stations advertise it, as it is much sought after. At the golf course we demand E0 gas so we don't have issues with all our 2t small equipment. My CR 167 has 190 psi of compression and runs great on pump premium and I saw no problems with it even at sea level. Now I ran out of my E0 gas and had to mix up some with the local premium and it was crap. Like Dwight says....Non Ethanol Gas....period.
  7. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

We´re now just getting two types of fuel here in Germany: bio-ethanol mix and premium. The government has signed up and guaranteed a percentage bio-ethanol sales. But no one´s buying it at the pumps. Very embarrassing for the government. I remember when avgas was not taxed in the UK and everyone tried to drive up to the pumps illegally. I used it whenever I could. No harmful effects.
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I know people that have ran Avgas for years in their 2 strokes and never had an issue. I rode a wr144 last Saturday that was burning Avgas and it flat ripped. Had the owner not told me it was burning AG then I would have thought it was gasoline.

For Portland area people, here's your ethanol free 92 premium: http://olsonbroserv.com/
    $3.99/gal as of 8am this morning. Most all marina's in Oregon sell E0 as well, but be prepared to grab your ankles when you see the price.
  9. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

VOCI in Vancouver Wa, sells 92 E0 , $3.79
  10. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

11. Erik B Husqvarna
    C Class

Got a question,
    I have 2 husky's, a 2008 TE250 that I run on 92octane, no problems with performance felt but have never tried a higher octane, I just took delivery of a 2010 WR250 (still in the crate, ordered a bunch of bits for it and waiting for everything to arrive) I am a bit concerned the 2-stoke performance will not be the best achieved with the 92octane.
    Due to where I live race gas is not available here yet, the main fuel company here is called Pertamina and they just released a 100 octane race fuel late in 2010 but it is near impossible to find out where it is sold, I have seen the photos of it in 20 liter containers, but until the day I figure out how to get a hold of it my only option would be to try aviation fuel.

I will buy a few liters of avgas and give it a try, any recommendations of jetting while running avgas or things to look out for?
  12. oregon_rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

For states where they have ethanol by law with some exceptions - oregon & washington fall into this category... You can go to the website pure-gas.org to find a station near you with ethanol free gasoline.

I ran av gas for quite a while and found that mixing it with pump makes for a better blend. And running it straight puts alot of lead deposits on the ports/piston. The lead in the 100LL av gas bumps the octane in the unleaded premium that I am blending it with. If I have premium e10 (ten percent ethanol) - then I go 50/50 av gas to pump gas to dilute the ethanol. If I have e0 premium pump gas (no ethanol) - then I go 4 gallons pump to 1 gallon avgas to make things "happy"...

For jetting - the av gas has a higher specific gravity than pump gas - but only slightly so. By blending it with pump gas you don't have to worry about jetting changes.

jeff
    Vinduro and Motosportz like this.