1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Bad Design

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by slo rider, Aug 28, 2011.

1. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    I would like to meet whoever it was at Husky that decided putting the right radiator hose connector right behind the pipe would be a good idea. I owe them a kick in the junk. A minor spill today pushed my pipe into said hose and allowed all the coolant to leak out.

[IMG]

The cylinder is scored so it looks like time for a 144 kit, but I also want to do something to the radiator to prevent another incident like this from happening. I vaguely remember someone using a LH CR radiator and splicing the radiator hose to work. Any other ideas?
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Funny, just got back from a great ride. 2011 CR125, 2011 CR125 with 144 and FMF pipe / muf, My 2009 WR144... FUN... But we spopke about the crapy hose placement as well. Needs fixed. Seems any good rad shop could relocate this. I like it. BTW i am running a KX125 pipe and not only do I like the power (rode high mountains today) it fits far better than stock. No interferance with the resi, EZ to get to oil fill, misses that hose better.

I forgot how freaking fun these bikes are. It did take a while to sort out for me as i have been riding the 511 exclusively for almost 1800 miles.

To steal one from PV... meeeeep.

K
  3. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

a good fabricator could fab up a small stop or guard on the header tank. and moving the hose bib would work, as long as the flow pattern still works. i have seen larger header tanks installed on a number of bikes, perhaps that is a route to take.
  4. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    pahusky was the one that bolted up some CR radiators.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/08-cr125-radiators-on-a-09-wr125.16206/
    He's currently running a WR left and CR right.
    I'm going to find a local radiator shop and see if they can swap the bottom tanks for me or at least move the right spiggot. I wouldn't mind moving the left spiggot further in as well since I caught that hose and ripped it during the last enduro :banghead:
  5. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Take a look at ebay, there is a 2001 CR125 being parted right now, the lower hose is for tanks with the spiggots on the inside like your swap setup is. Looks like you could put the 2001 hose on without any funky fittings. I almost bought it incase i swap my tanks but i figured you needed it more than me!
  6. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I had noticed this and went to Napa and had taken that plastic brake wrap stuff and wrapped my hoses all up to at least lesson the contact.
  7. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    All you have to do, is heat the pipe up (off the bike) where the header pipe comes out of cylinder, down to first bend. Stick a piece of pipe down it's throat (while its cherry red) and bend it out some (Not very much). Gets like that when you crash on the right side and bends the pipe in towards radiator. Keep doing it a little at a time, cause you don't need to bend it very much. I heat/pull mine out about 3/4 of in inch away from hose. Had all pipes do it including the Dyno port, which is pretty beefy.
  8. Jhunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

I took an old piece of intertube and cut out about a 3" x 6" section. I wrapped the hose 2 complete loops and then added 2 zip ties. Cheap and easy protection.
  9. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just took a hammer and put a dent in the pipe where the hose is.
    BCdirtbikegal likes this.
  10. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    Thanks for the info. I'll see how well it matches the modified radiators.

I ended up sending the radiators to Myler's and had them swap the bottom tanks for me. It cost me $100 and I shouldn't have to worry about my hoses being in harm's way anymore. I'll post up pictures of the new radiators later.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    PNW style baby :cheers:
  12. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    Here's how the modified radiators turned out. Shouldn't have to worried about anymore damaged hoses.

[IMG]
    typeone likes this.
  13. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    Here's the final solution all bolted up. The lower hose from a 2001 CR125 fits perfectly.

[IMG]
    typeone likes this.
  14. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Nice job slo rider. I just found a set of WR125 rads from a '02 on fleabay for $40 last winter and got the same result. It always pays to watch the fleabay even if it is agravating.
  15. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Ballin!! Bashing pipes is lame, nice ugrade.