1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc BAHH HELP! I can't decide. Sell or Don't Sell....

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by JRod4928, Aug 18, 2013.

1. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    I almost have my mind made up, but wanted another opinion...

I want a 144 (and maybe bigger in the future) kit. But I also want good suspension, and a lightweight bike for trail use, and the occassional MX track. No racing (yet). I weigh 160.

I have the option to buy a 2012 CR 125 with 144 kit uninstalled for $2600 - just looked at it today. 7 months off the showroom floor. It runs good - very crisp, no problems as far as I could tell. It could use cleaned up a bit - but it can't be that bad seeing as how it only has about 30 hours on it.The guy is selling simply because he needs money. It really looks like a steal.

I have an 08 YZ 125. In order to fix some immediate problems (fork seals) and get a 144 kit, I need to put about $700 into it. I'll need a clutch and would like a revalve soon, which would put me up to $1200 or higher pretty quickly.

Here's the question

Should I sell the YZ and the extra parts I have for it (wheelset, extra misc parts) for about $3000 and buy the 2012 husky? If I did - I'd almost have enough left over to get a 165 kit as a spare.I've read so much about them that I feel like I'd be doing myself a dis-service by not trying it out.

However, I must say that My dreambike (at the moment) is the YZ144, with revalved suspension for my weight. This might change if I try and love the husky. I hear so much about the Husky's that I want to give it a shot. I love the versatility of being able to go to 165 if I want to - it's like getting a new bike.

I'm torn
  2. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    I would sell the yz, get the cr and ride it stock for a while until you have the funds to upgrade if necessary.
    72racerx, wallybean and ray_ray like this.
  3. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    At that price even if you hated the Husky you could sell it and not lose any money. Sounds like a no brainer ;)
  4. Nordic Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oset 20
    If you can afford to buy the Husky without borrowing, then it sounds like a good deal. You can ride it as is until you have the money to upgrade stress free. Assuming that the bikes are set up well, including suspension, my guess is that most of us are not being limited in our riding by the bike, but rather by the rider. Just my thinking, as it is true in my case anyway. All the new bikes are just so good these days when set up right.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  5. bsh7680 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 PW 50, 08 KTM 50 JR Pro
    If u buy the husky, u will NOT regret it. I bought one about 6 months ago and love it. If u decide u do not want it, please give me the guys # that has it.
  6. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    You can decide. You know exactly what to do. You just want us to tell you how right you are. That's why you posted that question on a Husky forum.

Make the switch. I did, and the only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner.
  7. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TC 250 '13 CR 150 '11 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    Are you certain that you can get $3000 for an 08 125? I know you have extra parts but you might get more by selling the wheels seperately because most likely anyone looking at an 08 125 will likely be a younger guy who won't need/want an extra set of wheel if he can get the bike itself cheaper without the extra wheels OR a moto dad looking to move his 14 year old to a bigger bike without breaking the bank.

Regarding the Husky-----I got a CR 125 with 144 installed earlier this year and really do love the bike. I had three 450's before this bike and still have a KTM 250 XC but put most of my hours on the CR this year.

For $2600, I'd say GO FOR IT. I got a '13 in June during the major discount campaign but if there were a '12 around here for $2600 I'd be beating on the guys door at midnight with cash in hand.

After you get the CR, put about $500 into the suspension because the stock valving SUCKS MAJOR for off-road. And I mean MAJOR. I just put the Race Tech Gold Valve compression valving in the forks ($170-DIY) and have the Gold Valve for the shock on the way ($170 +$80 labor). Huge improvement so far. Or send the suspension off to Hall's or Zip-Ty when your riding season is over and get it set up for about $350 PLUS $100 shipping and handling. I'm 165 lb and needed to go two sizes stiffer on the the shock spring to get the right sag ($115). So that's $2600 + about $500 equals $3100 for a '12 CR 150 with suspension set up for your weight and skill level and a VERY strong engine.

When you have an extra $325, put the Lectron on it (skip the "custom made" cable and get a Motion Pro T3 +5 inch KTM throttle cable for $35 ($15 less then I paid for the lower quality "custom made" cable which was $40 PLUS $10 for the required adaptor------since when does a "custom made" cable require an extra adapter to work? LAME ) The carb takes the CR to the next level, no doubt.
  8. 72racerx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 WR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VFR800
    Go the Husky !!! If my memory serves me correctly to convert a YZ125 into a 144 requires an engine strip down and machine the crankcases.
  9. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    In my area, I believe I can get $3000. I've had plenty of interest already, a lot of trade offers, and only one sounded like a teenager with no cash. People are realizing the fun factor of 125s :)

YZs require you to grind some of the case for piston clearance, but it's a DIY job, no splitting cases.
  10. Caferacerman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Keep your Yamahahahaha and then give me the guy's number that is selling 2012 for $2,600...I'll buy you a beer when I come get it ; )
  11. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    the guy ran it with the wrong oil at first. had to give it back to the dealer and they flushed it out. seems fine now - any concerns there? When I rode it, it seemed fine.
  12. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Well atleast you got the new 144 top end with it lol. Ride it up and down the street and see how everything works. For a 2012 at 2600 with the extra top end almost nothing would stop me from buying it lol. I don't know 2 strokes like these guys but atleast it doesn't have cams and valves to replace lol
  13. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    I hear you man - its one heck of a deal. lol. I might even be able to get him down to 2400.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  14. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Where is your area? I have a really tricked out 08 YZ with boxes of parts that I would trade straight across for a 144 Husky like you describe. Around here I'd be doing good to get $2,100 for my YZ. I haven't seen a good used 125/144 Husky around here in the 3 years I've lived here. BTW my YZ suspension was set up by a guy that works at Marshall's Racing in Stillwater OK, he is a 160 lbs A rider and I must say it's every bit as good as the LTR Olins that was on my Gas Gas 200.
  15. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    North east - Pennsylvania area. 'Tricked out' 2008 or 09's go for about 2500-3000. Bone stock ones are about 2200. 06's go for about 2000. anything older than 06 is less than 2000. Maybe an 05 would creep over 2000 if a buyer isn't aware of the suspension change in 06.
  16. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    the problem right now is that no one has money. I've got about a dozen trade offers with people saying 'if i sell mine, i'll buy yours' but theyre going to have just as much trouble selling theirs as I am. Though 125's don't sell as fast here as 250's (2 or 4 stroke) and 450's, so maybe that'll work in my favor.
  17. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    resale on husky's is pretty tough in this area. I agree with you that I should be able to recover the money. But in the north east - you almost never see huskys.

If i buy the husky, i'm in it for the long haul because resale value is garbage around here..... That and because my wife is going to get tired of me buying/selling bikes all the time. But in this case - she's ok with it because of the value I'm aquiring, and the versatility of the CR125 being able to go to 144/165 when i (inevitably) get bored with the bike and want to change something. :)
  18. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    ive posted on other forums too. more... 'neutral' forums. lol
  19. Glenn haynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 yz250f 08yz85 11ktm 65 09 ktm65
    lankydoug likes this.
  20. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    lol i actually contacted that guy - he said...

HIM: '$(#* you it's not for sale'
    Me: Better remove it from craigslist then
    HIM: I didn't put it up there!

hahahhhahaaha

Where are you located Glenn?
    Glenn haynes likes this.