1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Best bet for more low end?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by rotcorp, Jun 15, 2012.

1. rotcorp Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 wr 250
    Just got a brand new 2011 wr250. previous bike was a 2001 ktm 250 exc. When the power band hits on the husky its crazy! I don't mind that, but i don't usually ride in that part of the power. I like to ride a gear high and lug it in the bottom. This is not working so much with the husky. i've been all reading everything i can find and it seems that a new pipe (thinking FMF gnarly) helps. Also it seems switching to a keihin carburetor helps too. So my question is: If i can't make both of these changes, which will get me more usable low end power? thanks
  2. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    For starters I would get the Husky race head. It raises the compression ratio which will boost the low/midrange power.
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Admittedly, that's why I bought the 300 after riding both the 250 and the 300. I used to have a KTM EXC250 and I didn't care for the lack of torque on it either.
  4. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Gear change,what do you have right now?
  5. rotcorp Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 wr 250
    where would one get a husky race head? I'm actually not sure the gearing, i'll have to check when i get home.
  6. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Get a Powernow, 12t countershaft sprocket and a Steahly flywheel weight. That's what I've got on my 08 WR250 and it lugs great. I ride with a couple guys that ride a 300XCW and my bike lugs just as well as theirs does. Brad.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Have the head milled and the squish redone for by RB Designs for more compression and run race gas. EZ and quick / cheap solution for more low end power.
    MOTORHEAD and wallybean like this.
  8. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    A 511 solves this issue nicely :-)
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Your digging that bike I see. :thumbsup: Something endearing (yes i just said that) about these 449/511 platforms. Always working for you instead of against you. Fun. Mine is a wheelie machine too. More fun. Ride more.
  10. rotcorp Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 wr 250
    my gearing is 13 and 48. does anyone have an opinion about my original question? pipe vs. carb?
    Motosportz, I saw on your site you have driven shift levers. I'd like to buy one of these.
    i'm in portland. any change i could come pick it up to save on shipping cost?
    -thanks
  11. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

How does using race gas affect running temps and longevity before rebuilds? where can i find info on mix ratio percentages when using race gas?

cheers
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Race fuel lasts longer without going stale and if you need it because of high compression it's better for your engine than detonation on pump fuel.

I have the stock head and gnarly pipe with a crisply jetted Mikuni and 13:50 gearing. I have a smooth but hard pulling midrange and a great top end that doesn't flatten out like it used to with the stock pipe. I run VP 110 because once I jetted it on the crisp side it tried to ping on pump 93 octane.
  13. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    For sure get the flywheel weight, eliminates stalling and runs more like a tractor
  14. yzracing Husqvarna
    B Class

where did you get the 12t sprocket ?
  15. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    There is no race head for the 250, just the 300. I agree with Motosportz, have RB do the head. The squish varies somewhat on the 250 which in turn increases volume. Not good for low end. Once it's cut down right you should see a huge improvement in low end.

Also, make sure your low speed jetting is right. Too lean or too rich can hurt low end, too.

Carb or pipe??? I'd do the carb after the head and then the pipe.
  16. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

i know they make thicker and thinner base gaskets for the 125s. do the 250 and 300s have this option too? it allows you to change your port timing and compression at the same time but its way cheeper then a machine shop and youll have your stock parts if you dont like the outcome.
  17. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    My bad, I was told there was a race head for the 250 as well. I had Eric Gorr do my head, I think he raised the static compression from 8.4:1 to 9.0:1.
  18. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think there is.
  19. Anthony_1978 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Shave your head, port it and make a PV Spacer. My 2009 WR250's compression went from 160 to 230Psi

20. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    Dude! I couldn't watch the bike stuff! Haha. After watching it three times, I had to cover the hottie just so I could see the motor rebuild.

So what's with the PV spacer? Purpose? If you have the head reworked for correct squish, is race fuel needed?

I want more low end so if these are the correct routes, then I'm listening.
    huskybear likes this.