1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

Best Husky for trail riding?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by 99WR250, Apr 11, 2013.

1. 99WR250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    Was wondering what everyone's thoughts were as far as what the best Husky model would be for trail riding. I'm 32 years old, 6'1" 175lbs and will be trail riding once a week for a few hours April-dec. I currently have. 1999 WR250 but have not had much time on it yet. I've been fixing it up over the winter. The reason I ask this question is I have a chance to pick up a 2009 TXC 250 Standard ("slightly used") for 4 grand. I know they are two totally different machines....so what's a suggested husky for a beginner trail rider?
  2. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Buddy! Go to the fire sale they are having, you can get a brand new 2013 WR125/144 for $4500. Everything is on super sale due to the KTM buy-out. The 144 kitted WR is tuff to beat!
  3. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    I agree. Buy new at these prices then spend a bit more for your taste. This is your golden opportunity.
  4. 99WR250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    Where is this sale?
  5. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Should be at every Husky dealer.
  6. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    $4K is too much for a 4 year old bike given the prices you can get a new one for.
    jmetteer likes this.
  7. 99WR250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    So I can just order a wr144 from any dealer...or would they have to have it in stock to get the sale price?
  8. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think my dealer was trying to get more. I'm sure you can get them at the discounted price if they order it but call and check. Where are you from?
  9. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Just call BMP or Hall's and have them ship you one.
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  10. 99WR250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
  11. 99WR250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    So WR or TXC ? Thoughts?
  12. 99WR250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    Where did you see this price?
  13. nonamerider Husqvarna
    AA Class

your 250 is one of the best trail and woods bikes you can have. few mods tough to beat.
  14. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've been racing 4t bikes since 1999. They can be great, but when they break, hold on to your hat! $$$$$

My opinion, all bikes depreciate, the new Huskys I've had were worse to sell than anything else, and I had to give them away. Buy the cheapest to get, own and repair. Parts might be an issue someday too, I'm guessing KTM will change everything. The 2t bikes have a long history and decent parts support. The day you need a cam bucket or rocker for a 10 year old 310 Red Head, who knows?

So, officially, I recommend the WR125/144. Convert it to a 167 at some point if you need more torque. You can't get a 250 or any 4t even close to the feel of a 125 chassie. I thought I'd have trouble adjusting, and I'd probably always be faster on my 4t, but it is so much fun to ride and the 125 style/speed will come back to me at some point.
    panhandlebars likes this.
  15. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Town & Country KTM Husky in Hamburg, NJ. 973-875-2111, ask for Cynthia. See called me as soon as they got the new discounts. I figured it was coming so I asked her to ring me up if/when. I'd be all over one but I can't justify it after building my nearly NOS 1999 WR125 to fit me, new suspension and all that.
    Jimmy250 likes this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    First off the 99 WR250 is a great bike. Do some upgrades to the suspension and ride it. then if you want something different and ridiculously fun find a husky 125. Ride it till you wear the piston out then put a 165 kit on it.
    Jersey Woods and johnnyboy like this.
  17. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    Wagner is my local dealer. Their words: They can't honor the discounts since all bikes in stock were already purchased before the news.

another vote for the little bike :D my '09 WR144 (now 165) is my favorite trail bike yet!
  18. wxc300 Husqvarna
    B Class

My first Husky is a wr250 2011 model, I have been on it a year now, added handguards,skidplate, reklush clutch. Its a very good bike, I rode ktm for 10 years and wanted to try the Husky, I went with the wr so I dont haft to worry about top ends and bottom end life as you do with a 4 strokes, Ive had both over the years and enjoy the hassle free 2 stroke.
  19. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Had a 99 WR 250 for about ten years, now ride an 09 WR 250 and it is hands down the best woods bike
    on the planet for the money. Fork re-valve and done. Don't let your friends ride it.
  20. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Any dealer who ordered new bikes under this sale will get rebates on their current stock as well as the ones they ordered. Those who didnt take advantage of this will be hatin life trying to sell the bikes on their floors.