Big Creek ride - Before and after the rain

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by ray_ray, Jun 28, 2014.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Seeing these creeks and river rise due to rainfall and runoff from the mountains is always interesting to me ... Lots different from the AR where it is mostly flat lands and in WA where the creeks there rise and fall each yr due to the snow melts ... GPNF is too far to see any of this creek filling start and once the creeks are full, they stay that way for a month or so I'd guess ... Looks better maybe than here but nearly as dynamic ... These creeks rise and fall almost hourly...

--
    I went out today, just to stay local, have an easy ride, and get an idea of how muddy it is after the rainfall we have had over the last few days ... Never expected the river to rise so much today ... You can see in many of the pics that the sky is blue and with big fluffy white clouds.

Saw this new pier(?) on the way out of town (Danao) heading north.
    100_1885_result.JPG

This is about 2 miles from my APT ...I've been down to this creek often but usually I do not ride up and down it too much. I might try to map it out in the future with my GPS.
    100_1887_result.JPG

Here's my hybrid plastic 250cc TC Husky I'm riding today... Its my rekluse equipped, WY bike, with sideplates from my WA 250 Husky, and the blank number plate on front is from my 012 TC EFI 250cc Husky.
    100_1890_result.JPG
    The road is just above that small home and you can see a small trail going up the right side of the pic ... I'd go back out and up that path but my rear tire is toast and I don't want a battle just to get back to the road ....

-
    I really like the colors here of the water and rocks and the reflections...
    100_1891_result.JPG
    Dirtdame likes this.
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This is downstream from the bike ... You can see all the work these guys are doing here with the dirt ...
    100_1894_result.JPG

Here's a little better look of the water ... Gotta be natural spring feeding this.. You can see it looks pretty rough towards the end ...Probably impossible to go through there on a bike. And if that bottom is rock, it will be ultra slippery ...
    100_1895_result.JPG

More fat-of-the-land-stuff -- Not alot here unless you like red...
    100_1903_result.JPG

Thats a toasted tire .. Looks like the center knobs have another wear-marker deep deep in the tread.... 100_1910_result.JPG
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Dirtdame likes this.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I really like how I can roll my bike out of the house, though town, and head out a few miles into the countryside and waste time away, day after day :)

--

Here's the TC250 Husky climbing out of the creek and heading back on the top side road for a view of the creek where I was just parked ... Once on the top, I'm a movie director and maker and not so much a rider ... You can see the small hut on the top and the waterfall that has very small amount of coming over it at this time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1R4X1o2oQs
    Dirtdame likes this.
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Dirtdame likes this.
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    These pics are from my new parking spot in the creek ...
    100_1913_result.JPG

Gets really bad on back south if you tried to ride it... I might could hook this up into the first spot I stopped in the creek but I'm not sure
    100_1915_result.JPG

Here's a better look at that rock I'm using as a KS ... Lots of the rocks here have that look in this area.
    100_1916_result.JPG

Back north view where I just rode from.
    100_1919_result.JPG
    Kevin_TE250 likes this.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here's the ride back down the creek to where I entered past that dozer .... I saw several places along the way to exit the creek, but I wanted to make that climb out on that washed-out, gnarly small climb.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kzzk37NpgM

--
    Am I reklusing it up that hill towards the dozer? Nope, big boy style clutch feathering .. Simple really, just apply about 2lbs(?) steady weight on the lever with a finger or two, and feel the HYDRO magic.
    dozer-Climb.jpg
    See the finger on the lever and that small gap between the lever and the rubber dust guard?
    BarberPole and Dirtdame like this.
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Left the creek and went looking for smoke ... where there is smoke, there is food maybe and maybe BBQ ...
    100_1924_result.JPG

A little better look at some chicken feet cooking ... Very poor out here in the providences and nothing is wasted ..
    100_1926_result.JPG

Still got new chain kink after quite a bit of riding ... Seems I have solved the money issue on chains and sprockets.
    100_1929_result.JPG
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    After taking a couple pics and videos of the creek, I just rode back home as slowly as I went out on this short little, easy ride ..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3phQ4WOUzsg

--

After arriving back at the APT, I saw these clouds in the SW from where I had just been riding ... I was wishing I was still out there :) ... There was a little thunder and lightening but I think it would be safe overall... Safe if a landslide does not hit you AND you don't wanna be in any creeks that are surely gonna rise ...
    100_1931_result.JPG

100_1932_result.JPG
    Dirtdame likes this.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Never saw a rain cloud that entire morning or when I went west where the chicken feet were being cooked ... Most of the video I shot show no rain clouds ...
    But I'm well aware of the hazards of being in creeks here. The local rain is not the issue... its the rains out a few miles in the mountains that all drain back into the Pacific that cause the danger. And this big specific creek drains lots ... The ocean is just a couple miles away ...

Here is about the first view I got of the creek I was just riding in a couple hrs before. Probably about ~1 hr after that last short video of this same area.
    100_1933_result.JPG
    I'm not sure what happens when the creeks rises ... Might be that the small trickle of water already in the bottom just slowly builds or it might be a wall of water that comes down it and builds into what you see here ... Not sure ...

This is location in the river where the first pics were taken ...
    100_1942_result.JPG

Here's the road down to the river past that dozer. Looks like a few more rocks fell off ... I left the bike by the dozer for safe keeping ... If something happens down there with me, I do not want to worry about getting the bike out, along with my butt. Safety first.
    100_1949_result.JPG

A little better look at the river ...Probably only waist to armpit deep but very fast moving water ... 100_1951_result.JPG
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here's the waterfall in this area with some Mississippi looking muddy waters coming over and few more pics ..
    100_1944_result.JPG

100_1955_result.JPG
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This video is sort of cool looking ... You can see some of the locals guys here fishing with a sane net ... Looks like he has a eel or something because he's hitting something with a rock and he seems a little afraid of it ..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RjByVkpexk
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here's another shot of me reklusing the bike along in 1st gear as I hold the camera in the other ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXSC7LTiUgY&feature=youtu.be

--

Just put a ~worn out Kenda Carlsbad 772 on the rear of my WY TC250 4t bike (from my good friend Dave back in the states) ... Gonna go out now and test it in some mud ;)
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    So I put the Kenda on and went back out to the creek :0) ... No dozer and that small uphill was still gnarly :)

This is the the normal creek volume, I'd guess ..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvgj-3ynFaM

--
    Another thing I like about riding my Husky here ... See that happy little kid running up the road behind me? Nothing really shows up well on helmet cams, but I was ~gassing the Husky and made that small jump over that dirt hill ... That little guy liked it :) ... I'm sure sure he went and his buddies what this AmericanaO was doing ...Mission Accomplished for that brief moment in time ...