1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Bike purchase help...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Grey Jay, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Grey Jay Husqvarna
    C Class

A friend of mine is looking to buy a 125 for his son. If it was me, I would be choosing between a Husky CR or a YZ. The closest husky dealer to us is listing '10 models much cheaper than what the YZ is going for. I told him that you can't beat the reliability on the CR and that 144 kit can be bolted on in the future if need be. The only benefit I can see that may be worth the extra price of the YZ is the ease of parts availability. Anyone else have any thoughts?
  2. smoke229 Husqvarna
    A Class

we have 2 yz125s and are waiting on the husky cr150 to make it to the dealer. nothing wrong at all with the yz's , but we are willing to give the husky's a try so i would go with whats cheaper. as for parts i have no advice other than with the yz's the 5 local dealers always had to order all bigger parts in so i dont think it would be any worse on the husky.
  3. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had an '05 YZ125 and loved it. I think out of the box the YZ suspension is better and there are a few more (not many) aftermarket parts for it. But with either bike you would want to adjust the suspension and the CR can be just as good as the YZ. Both bikes are pretty solid but if adding CC's in the future the Husky is much easier. The 144 kit is a bolt on with no case grinding that would be needed on the YZ. I love my '09 WR125(144) and have had no issues with the chassis or motor. The replacement parts for crash breakage have been easy to get at my local (Bill's) dealer. On my YZ I gave up on the local dealers that didn't stock any parts for 2t bikes and ended up having to go online for parts. And to top it off compare parts like rims, brakes, handlebars, etc. and you'll find that the Husky comes with top of the line components. Advantage Husky in my opinion.
  4. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'd have to agree with LDM, in stock form the suspension on the YZ is better. Both very good and very reliable bikes. I'm not sure what it's like where you are but around here the kid would probably want the YZ just because it's better known. Also agree with LDM, there are very few dealers that stock many parts. And the people behind the counter will more often than not just frustrate you. So, I wouldn't consider parts/dealer network at all.
  5. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

One thing to consider might be ergonomics--the Husky is a big bike. Even with the '09+ frame, it's a big, rangey, high-riding bike. If your son is on the small side, the YZ might be a better fit.
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Tell him to get the Husky. IMHO the Husky is a better bike overall. A friend of mine has an 08 YZ and I have the 08 Cr125 Husky when we ride together he always wants to hop on my Husky. I like the YZ but not enough to trade or buy one. If your son's friend ends up on a Husky he'll get lots of people ask about it; at lest I do. Parts... you don't need no stinken parts for a Husky...jk!!! When you do you can get them just as easy as a YZ. Either way they are both great bikes and he won't go wrong with either one but like you know, the Husky is a bolt on a way from a 144. Can't say that for a YZ.
  7. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Exactly. For those who dont realize, the CR125 comes with EXACT SAME forks as a YZ125. Valving is the same as well.

The WR125 comes with 50mm Open Chamber Zokes which are good woods forks. Better than the Twin Chamber IMO.
  8. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    ride every weekend with a gent on an 04 yz. im onna WR125 09.
    back to back comparo on ergo's and parts:
    yz is about 1" to 1.5 shorter in the saddle with same sag. easy fix if it's too tall: mod the seat or i think the optional lower seat will fit. parts for the hoosk are easy to get and way cheaper than the yz. cr has WAY better bits and wheels by a long shot. cr is easier to service. yz is completly worthy but id get the husky as it's every bit as competetive and its fun to play different and the money you save you can put into suspension, tires and farkles. nothing wrong with the yz, jsut my 02.
  9. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    If the Husky is cheaper, I'd buy it.
  10. vegtablebrain Husqvarna
    AA Class

Save money and buy the Husky. Dealer maybe further away but will mail parts to you if needed. Plus if you get the 144 kit at time of purchase you will end up with a bike with better and more power than the yamaha and have a spare barrel and piston. But for many it comes down to what colour they prefer.
  11. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    ive had well over 30 bikes. no dealers have supported me better than my husky dealers and the "brotherhood" the brand seems to foster. there's really nothing wrong with any bike too much per say today but ive gotten parts way faster and cheaper, had better bend-over-backwards service, gotten more personal and passionate support with huksy dealers than anything else the past almost decade. plus i love playing different and if im having a good day and im spankin' the kids they get to have some rubbed back in their face by the old guy on the husky. (cuz they let me know i ride one every darn day we go out lol...)
  12. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I think the new KYB's on the Husky's are the KYB's that Yamaha was using in 2004. Or maybe they're the 2005 AOSS forks, but neither gets the praise of the newer ones.

And I do love the open chambered 50's on my wr300 for the woods, for sure. Especially after getting them properly setup. They'd suffer on the track though, especially with me on the big 300.

I'm gonna buy a CR soon with the twin chambered 50mm Zokes and I'm excited. I've been told some people are wanting these over the 48mm KYB's they currently offer. We shall see about that!
  13. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I thought the CR came with the good KYB forks?
  14. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    They're obviously good, but they're not the same stuff that comes on the newer yami's. For trail riding I wouldn't care, but for moto the SSS stuff is pretty amazing after getting them setup. More so than I remember any older yami's feeling.

I guess its all subjective though. I'll ride my friends bikes who have never set the sag, serviced the oil or touched a clicker in 5 years and they think its perfect. Ignorance is bliss for them!
  15. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was thinking the CR and TC do have the SSS and the WR/TC had the older style KYB. Is that wrong?