Bike shops get fined by CARB

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Dirtdame, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    The standard fine is $5,000 per bike, that would be 18 bikes for each shop.
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    It's not news to me. A friend of mine bought a non-street-legal SM450 a few years ago from GP Motorsports and they plated it for him. He was pretty angry when he got The Letter from DMV. I told him that he had no right to be angry, as he knew full well when he got it that the legality was questionable at best.

There was some back-and-forth on a few forums a while back, with most people saying The Letter was a myth and that DMV wasn't pulling plates. I said "Believe it, it's true, I've seen The Letter with my own eyes." Folks still thought it couldn't happen. For what it's worth, I personally am aware of a few plates that got pulled, and every one of them were Huskys from the same shop.

WoodsChick
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Motoforza is where I got my TE from. I hope this isn't the sort of thing that would "break the camels back" as far as them staying in business is concerned.:confused:
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    They were definitely pulling plates that left the dealers plated that should not have been.

But I've yet to see anyone get their plate pulled that did it themselves after it left the dealer that was registered as a green stickered bike - there was much talk about that, but I saw no proof.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It's happened to some up here.
  7. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Ahhhh Kalifornia. The most beautiful state in the union that I'm ecstatic I don't live in.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    it is happening everywhere. Some places slower than others but everywhere. At this point if you don't buy a factory DS your rolling the dice on keeping the plate.
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Exactly. It isn't that CA is any worse than any place else when it comes to this kind of stuff, it's just that CA is usually first and rest of the country soon follows.

WoodsChick
  10. Jrmobb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im glad my Te is 50 state legal. I wonder what models they were selling with plates.
  11. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Me too, since I'm pretty sure that an 06 TE model was plateable in Ca.
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    The 2006 TE450 is a 50 state street legal machine, no worries. But my Kato 3xx xxC, now that had a semi sick bird* plate on it!!

technically ill eagle*
  13. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450

I think you mean the beautiful "Republic of Kalifornia":lol:
  14. CKPC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Only a few more years and then I'm gone!! I love the state, but not how it's run..
  15. TE 450 Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would think if i bought a bike plated from a dealer and then had the plate taken away i would be taking the bike back to the dealer and asking for my money back. I can not see how a dealer would survive as i'm sure their would be law suits. I'm sure people would claim what they thought they bought was a legal bike but what the dealer did was illegal without their knowledge.
  16. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

On what year/model bikes was this done? Just curious.
  17. Husky Relic Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 511, 2012 TXC 310, 2013 TXC3
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW GS1200, Zero S, Zero DS, Zero FX
    The standard per/unit fine is much more I believe as much as $25,000/unit so there are a lot less units involved. Also the fact of the matter is that the DMV is somewhat complicit in this matter. Their own systems and procedures regulating licensing were not operating properly at the time. I feel very badly for the dealers involved. There was a lot of confusion during the time period when these alleged infractions took place. Unfortunately these two dealers are being made an example of in my opinion.
  18. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sorry about the error in fine cost...

My opinion as well.

The next step will be the people that operate ohv parks will obtain pictures posted on forums and websites that show bikes in a 'better' configuration than stock, and disallow any of those bikes from going into the ohv park - giving one more pain in the rump reason for people to not ride bikes, which will of course affect sales. That has already happened with the Honda X bikes, they can no longer use the ohv parks around here if they are in the 'better' configuration because there are before and after pictures hanging in the entrance booth so they can easily check the bikes entering the park.

I would like to have the time to collect the threads and posts regarding making the bikes 'better' and put them in an area of this site where non-members cannot see them... but that would take time, and I no longer have that luxury unless something changes.
  19. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    You mean to say that if a person adds anything aftermarket, like a different exhaust component or an air box modification, there are places that people take notice of such things? That seems pretty hard to believe. Is the government leaning on them to do this? I can't see business owners stopping customers good money from going into their pockets.

The rangers in our public riding areas are only looking for two things; a spark arrestor and the proper registration. I wish that they were looking at decibels as well. Hate to bash 'em (okay, that's a lie, I love to bash 'em:busted:), but the quad crowd down here really seems to like loud pipes.
  20. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nor Cal and So Cal are 2 different worlds. There are things removed from the X bikes to make them better, that something better is something carb disagrees with.

It's an incredibly complicated subject but it all starts with people that want the best environment possible surfing the internet and passing links on. Eventually the ohv parks need to do something or they will have bad things happen to them.