1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Bolts for handlebar clamps

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firecrotch, Dec 21, 2010.

1. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    So I put an underbar steering stabilizer on my 300. All is well but I tried with with the spacers now and just love the settings. Problem is the stock bolts are too short. About an inch short. I also notice the stock bolts are goldish in color. IS there a special reason for this? Can I just go down to the local hardware store and buy any bolt as long as it fits or does the coloring indicate a "special" strength or something?:cheers:
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The color is just a finish, and does not indicate strength.
  3. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    I went to Ace and bought their highest grade bolt to use for the clamps on the old 610. First fall those things twisted like a twist tie. On the plus side, they were able to be bent back to ride home. :P You might try to search for some stronger stuff - maybe an autoparts store?
  4. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    thanks...it was ace I bought my replacements from and my suspisions where telling me the bolt was cheap. You confirmed it.:cheers:
  5. gem Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm assuming your buying metric bolts. Metric bolt strength is marked on the head of the bolt with grade markings.

www.k-tbolt.com/bolt_chart.html

8.8 graded bolts are equivalent to an SAE Grade 5

10.9 graded bolts are equivalent to SAE Grade 8

12.9 graded bolts are alloy steel and surpass SAE Grade 8

For handlebars I would want 10.9 as a minimum.

Anything without recognizable grade markings is to be considered Grade 2 maximum and IMO should not be used.
  6. utopia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250, WXC125
    ...what gem said.

If the markings aren't there, don't buy it. I'd also go with a Grade 10.9 since it's the handlebars. (Although the grade 8.8 is probably plenty strong).
  7. pcross71 Husqvarna
    AA Class

oh oh, i recently replaced my bolts to fit a HDB setup and motosportz damper with stainless steel cap bolts from mcmaster car.

Part # 91292A223
    Metric 18-8 SS Socket Head Cap Screw M10 Thread, 100mm Length, 1.5mm Pitch

No grading on the bolts but the a salesman there told me they are listed as being 100,000 psi tensile strength (vs 140 for 10.9 and 180 for 12.9 as i recall).

They offered grade 12.9 but only in "black oxide" or "blue coated" - neither of which seemed appropriate for exterior use.

So should I pull it apart and replace with one of those? The 10mm is pretty hefty and i can't imagine force being applied that wouldnt first bend the bars (hollow aluminum).
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Another problem with the local hardware store's metric fastners is they seem to be threaded all the length instead of five times the diameter.
  9. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    You want high strength hex bolts for the handlebar mounts. I would recommend 10.9 minimum.

If you have trouble finding fasteners/bolts, Bolt Depot has a wide variety and you can buy individual or bulk.
    http://www.boltdepot.com/metric-hex-bolts.aspx
  10. gem Husqvarna
    A Class

IMO you should get rid of the stainless bolts. Stainless is in the vicinity of SAE Grade 2 for tensile strength, but its yield strength and proof load is not even equivalent to Grade 2.