1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Brake pedal height to foot peg

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by lankydoug, Apr 28, 2011.

1. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I have stock foot pegs and can't adjust the brake pedal low enough because the inside radius of the pedal hits the frame way before the pedal is where it needs to be. I would like to buy lower and offset pegs but lowering the pegs would only make things worse. Currently I can't get my foot on the brake pedal without lifting my entire boot off the peg and then it's a stomp of the brake with no feel. I will admit my feet are big at a size 14 but still wonder if anyone else has had this problem and how did they solve it? The only sure fix I have heard so far is cutting and re-welding the pedal pad or buying a Recluse clutch and putting a rear hand brake where the clutch lever is.
  2. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I think you're going to have to move the pad or grind in some releif in the area where the arm contacts the peg, or both. You are a rather extreme case with that size flipper. [IMG]
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    What gets me is that the pad is the same height if not higher than the peg so when the instep of my boot is on the peg the brake pedal pad is 1/2" higher at the least. This is after I have ground the inside radius of the pedal and have it adjusted as low as it can go. If I adjusted it in the middle of the travel it would be off by at least an inch... Forget how tall I am, who would want it that high? Now add lower offset pegs and it would be 1 1/2". Actually if I was going down a near vertical hill where my butt would be over the rear fender the pedal would be in the perfect position for a situation where I would use little to no rear brakes. lol
  4. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I have a similar issue with my 630. I'd like my brake pedal about another 1/2" lower or more. So far, I've just dealt with it. Now I'm starting to get used to it.
  5. dirt-dude Husqvarna
    AA Class

Try laying a folded up towel on the seat , sit on it and see if the pedal height feels better. It may be your legs are long putting your lower legs on more angled forward position and making the brake pedal awkward for you. You may just need a taller seat. I never run the brake pedal bellow level with the peg really don't want my toes pointing down.
  6. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I've had this issue with Huskys for years and since I do not use my front brake and ride hard iI MUST ALWAYS run semi-mettalic brake pads so I do not boil the brakes over. I adjust it as low as it will go. And live with it (not bad) One thing I may suggest and it may sound crazy but a different set of boots could possibly help. Some boots are big and clunky and some compact. Just a suggestion. I am so rider sensitive I must use OURY pyamid grips or am slower! Serious. I would also think you could bring your bike to a smart fab guy and he could think of how to fix the issue pretty easy.
  7. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I'm only 5' 10", I don't think long legs are an issue. :D

A while back, I had a little back & forth with George Erl about him making me a brake lever platform (not the whole lever, just the part your foot pushes on) that was lowered a little. I think he forgot about me, because the communications stopped. I have since gotten used to my pedal where it is (adjusted as low as it will go) and I think I can live with it.
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Thanks for the input guys. I think there might be something to a taller seat since my knee angle is more extreme due to a 38" inseam. My boots are Garne G-10s and are almost new so this weekend before riding I wore them for 3 hours while using a chainsaw to make some new singletrack on my newly purchased property in MO. After the workathon and getting the boots soaked I noticed the next day I was a little easier to get to the brake pedal. Still it seems that if the average guy had the adjustment in the middle there would be plenty of adjustment left to please everyone on the extremes. (think where the pedal would be if you adjusted it all the way up)
  9. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mine is as low as it will go and still just above the foot peg height. I am running Pivot Pegz which help a lot.
  10. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 SMR, TE250, CR125, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    The 610 rear brake lever is arched, what I did to lower the pedal height was to cut back the tip of the lever, and I drilled a hole further down on the arc of the lever. I used a furniture nutsert as a brake pedal. The nutsert looks like this...
    [IMG]
    You can get the nutsert from Home Depot/Lowes/any hardware store.
  11. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

I second the suggestion of looking into a taller seat- especially for a fella with a 38" inseam.....

Must be nice to sit on these bikes with your feet flat on the ground[IMG]
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Ha Ha.. It does have it's advantages but it's a long way to stand up and sit down (kind of like a deep knee bend every time) and nothing ever ever fits out of the box. For example my arm reach is 6'9" so sleeves are always too short by at least 2" and if you buy an XL in anything the makers assume you weigh 300 lbs.
    giantjoe likes this.
  13. dirt-dude Husqvarna
    AA Class

Don't forget if you go to a taller seat you may want to raise your handle bar height also. risers or taller bars.
  14. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    Another member here had the same problem on his 610. He ended up drilling, grinding and re-fabing the connection between the pad and arm and dropping it down low enough so that he could ride with his foot over the brake pad/pedal without dragging the brakes.
  15. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I have the stock pegs on now and would like to go to the lower pegs but not until I resolve the brake pedal problem. I agree that the Husky is a taller feeling bike and I like just about everything about it. I have a GasGas EC200 that has lower pegs and was still able to adjust the brake pedal on it with no problems. I set the GasGas up for my 15 year old son but now he has passed me in height. I think it will take a combination of low pegs, high seat, Aero taper high bars, (which I already have) and modifying the brake pedal to get things perfect. The new boots amplified the problem but three more hours of trailblazing with a chainsaw should have them broken in.
  16. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I tell you what, if someone were to fab up an aftermarket brake pedal that was lower, or more adjustable, or whatever, I'd buy it up!

It seems silly to me that even with the brake pedal adjusted as low as it will go, it's still higher than the footpeg.
    lankydoug likes this.
  17. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Amen and +1
  18. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Have you guys looked at replacing the stock clevis? There is a lot of play in the clevis before it actually pushes the plunger. I had a 8mm rod end on my old WR that worked real well. It may help you to get some brake action before the pedal hits the foot peg.
  19. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    All it would really take is a lever that's basically straight, instead of arching back upward at the halfway point. Here's mine:

[IMG]
  20. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Apparently there is some guy that is over 7ft tall (I think he's an ex-NBA player?), riding a KTM in some events in the southwest. He must look like a bear in a circus on that bike.......