1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

Broken bike on the trails

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by ks9mm, Feb 21, 2014.

1. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    Hey Gang,

What do you do if bike breaks down in the middle of nowhere? Has it ever happened to you? What's the best way to get it out?

My old 09 TE 510 seized fuel pump and I was terrified of hicking 8 miles of sandy trails.. But bike restarted after it cooled down...I replaced the pump before I rode again. And that's the reason I got 2stroke.. Less things to break. But it seems that failures of seized pistons and rods are very common..

So what the heck would you do if bike stops running on the trail?
  2. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I ride a Husky so I am covered:cool: Do you mean if I was riding an orange bike and it broke down?:p
  3. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Bring straps so others can tow you out with their bike or truck. Other then that, I'm not sure. I never stay to far from a road I can get my truck down just incase (if I'm alone).
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I pack about 20 lbs of crap so I can fix most stuff short of a rod through the cases. Many times when I ride we are 20+ miles from the nearest access point in really steep, gnarly crap. I have had to push a few times as tow straps don't work in a lot of these areas. It really sucks and it helps when there are several of you to help. At worst leave the scoot and come back with whatever you need to fix it. My buddy had to buy a Honda winch and used it for a recovery in a really bad situation. It worked like a charm and in the right situation would be a life saver.
  5. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    This is the main reason I went back to a two stroke with the old school husky design. They are just so simple and elegant and easy to work on. In addition to that I carry about 20 lbs of parts/tools as previous poster
  6. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    seized piston and rod on a two stroke are common? rode seven years now - not common as in never happened on a bike I've owned. :excuseme:
    2premo and jmetteer like this.
  7. Xriderdown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR360 SW / WR360 IT / FE501 AU
    Other Motorcycles:
    BUL MK3,KAW KE100,CZ 988-1,YAM FZ1
    Always bring a buddy. That's why they make "Buddy Tows". Buddy tows work best when connected peg-to-peg. I carry 15lbs on my waist and 10lbs on my back....enough to perform an abortion on the trail if I had to. But only a buddy or two will get you back if something catastrophic happens to the motor or fuel delivery system.

Been there:

View: https://vimeo.com/57824913
    ripnriding likes this.
  8. richard kersten Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    klx 250s vulcan 900 yamaha stryker
    I do mostly all solo riding and get about 30 miles from the house , have alot of tools but if worst came to worst I would do something uncle sam taught me to do Oh so well , I would suck it up and start humping.
    shawbagga and sabortooth like this.
  9. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I thought you were going to say,"commandeer a vehicle" :)
  10. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    carry a cell phone and know you have atleast one sweet mate that has a van to help out. thats if riding solo.
    proper preperation prevents piss poor performance, if the bikes prepped righe you shouldnt need to worry about break downs.
    unless you break the bike then im usually more worried about wich limb i broke.
  11. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    Thats the tactics of lazy L.E.s.
  12. uranys Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00 wr360/02 wr360/09 wr125/09 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 xr600r
    We towed my bike out after I mangled the pipe so bad it pulled out of the cylinder. We used a tie down strap and it worked well. I now carry one when rec riding.

If i'm going to ride solo (which I try to avoid) I let one of my buddies know where I'm going so if I don't turn up he knows where to come looking for me.

In my experience if your going to push a bike out, remove the chain, it's so much easier to push without it!
    richard kersten and shrubitup like this.
  13. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    I usually carry a 20 foot length of nylon rope with me on longer rides. I used it to tow my buddy out of the bush and 8 miles down a gravel road back to camp when his clapped-out kx125 blew a rod on the trail.(My wr150 towed him and the bike back with no issues:lol:). I attached the rope to my right side foot peg and the other end to his left side foot peg and we went slow and easy with-out letting the rope get too loose. It would have been a long walk for him in the dark if we didn't have the rope with us!
    richard kersten likes this.
  14. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    I broke my clutch lever off 15mies in at the bottom of some hell hole.Laid all my tools on the ground and came up with this fix,got me home!
    The bike wasn't a husky,they never break:lol:

[IMG]
  15. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    nice! a positively rubber damped clutch lever! the dampening effect must have been awesome.