1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc busted exhaust mount

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by shawbagga, Jan 10, 2012.

1. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    i run a PC platinum 2 pipe on me 10 wr300 which to get to fit i had to flip the exhaust mount bracket over. i recently discovered after cleaning the bike after a ride that the exhaust bracket mount(tubular piece of metal welded to frame RHS in front of brake pedal) was flogged out and yes i always checked they were tight! it appears there wasnt enough thread on the bolt going into the frame mount and as such the pipe bracket & bolt had enough leverage to just 'work' the mount threads(the very end of the bolt would still screw in but does bugger all as rest of thread was too loose). retapped to a larger thread but stupid heavy handed me snapped the tap off in there-DOH! cant get the remainder of tap out(damn hard steel) so now im stuffed! any ideas anyone? at the moment im just wire tieing the pipe bracket to the frame which does the job but i want it sorted. only thing i can think of is to cut off mount and reweld a new longer one on?! which leads me to ask what is necessary to disconnect if i have to weld the frame on the bike? please help me as my bike looks like a busted up POS as it is.
  2. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    I once broke a tap off in a part and HAD to get it out. I took it to my friends machine shop and he just took a torch to the broken tap until it was cherry red and then after it cooled a bit it drilled out like soft metal. I know this will cook the paint on the frame, but it's all I've got for you. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea.
  3. Parh 474 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '73 Cr125, '06 Cr125/144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ossa, Bultaco, Puch, Maico, AJS, Yam
    Can you get ahold of the tap between the flutes with some skinny needle nose pliers? If its really stuck can you weld something to it and screw it out? Last resort is Electric discharge machining (EDM) if it's available near you.

4. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I guess its an M8? you should be able to get maybe M6 bolt tacked to the end of the tap to wind it back out. It does depend on where it broke off, ie in the frame or if there is any kind of stub protruding.
    I have had snapped taps spark eroded out, but it is hideously expensive and tricky because yours is in the frame rather than in a component.
    Post photo and I'm sure one of us can come up with a solution!
  5. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    try drilling out with small cobalt bit.
  6. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    not a chance with the pliers! yeh M8. tried to remove it with a pick & mallet by gently tapping c/clockwise, worked a little then jammed & just damaged threads. no way its coming back out the way it went in-shes properly rooted! cant upload photos(well not me anyway) sorry. i reckon the mounts knackered so mite just hack it off & weld a new one on. correct me if im wrong but that mount is just externally welded to the frame(i.e. doesnt go into main frame section at all). gotta mate whos a boilermaker/engineer so getting new one made and welded isnt a drama. what do you need to disconnect before welding on these bikes? should be right to do it with everything bar expansion chamber on the bike hopefully. really sh#%s me that i turned a simple job into a major mission-it was profanity central! BTW me old mate will know by looking but how are these frames welded-i mean what type of welding?(& no i didnt pay attention in metalshop) might just leave stock pipe on when i buy a 2012 & stop bashing it on logs & rocks!-yeah right:)
  7. Gasman Husqvarna

Same thing happened to my frame, got a mate to mig it back on and now I'm up for some electrical work.. Has fried something!! Bummer!!
  8. Harbinger Hróðvitnir

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Nuda 900 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Buell
    Please post a picture of it.
    You may have to weld something on it, so you can get a hold on it with a plier
  9. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    spewin'! what did or didnt you disconnect? im as good with electrics as i am with retapping threads so id love to know what i gotta disconnect & how to do so, so i dont do the same. ignition, voltage regulator, spark plug lead?
  10. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    i cant upload photos sorry. tried to tap it out & drill it but just destroyed more threads. due to the fact i was retapping the thread out one size larger there isnt much 'meat' left of the outer diameter of the mount so i reckon shes knackered! wont be able to retap it again so just gonna have to lop it off and weld a newy on
  11. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    try welding a nut onto the exhaust bracket drilling out the frame mount and bolting through frame mount onto exhaust bracket.
  12. Twatty Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had the same initial problem with the flogged out thread, but I've just left it (ie, I don't have a bolt in there now) with no ill effects.
    I don't reckon you need that mount.
  13. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Try to weld a nut to the broken tap & wind it out.
    Or you can shatter the tap with a centre punch if it is not too far into the thread & knock the remains through then put a helicoil in afterwards.
  14. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    you mean drill right thru the frame so bolt goes thru it from exhaust side to outer side of frame?
  15. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    yeah im not sure twatty, ive just got it wire tied at the moment but the pipe seems to move a bit. been ok for a few rides but reckon id still rather have something there to make that pipe a bit more rigid.