Buying A Tr650 In 2024 - Still Worth It?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Mikedefieslife, Jun 4, 2024.

1. Mikedefieslife Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW xCountry
    Got a trip coming up soon, and the motorcycle I've ordered unfortunately isn't likely to be delivered in time, and my other bikes are all sold (moving countries).

I used to own a G650 xCountry that I adventurised for 10k mile tour of SA back in 2015.

I've been looking at the xCountry and xChallenge for my up coming trip, but prices of them seem to have gone up a lot. Where I'm based people are wanting near €5,000 for them, before being sorted for travel.

I remembered the TR650 Strada and Terra, and noticed they are around €2,000 cheaper than the x bikes in similar condition.

I'm curious if they are worth it for overland travel in 2024, or if it's better to buy something like an SWM Superdual.

I already 'kind of' know the Rotax 650 engine used in the TR650, so that is a bonus, and the extra few horses would be nice.

I think if I bought one it would need:

Suspension modifications 170mm isn't really enough and I remember how an aftermarket shock really improved the xCountry. The forks needed work though. What are the options for the TR650 that involve minimal work?

Additional fuel range. I had a 5l after market tank on the xCountry bringing the total to 14.5l still wasn't enough. Is there anything for the TR650 besides the impossible to get and mega huge Safari tanks?

Decent skip plate. Are they still sold? I can see an R&G but it looks poor. I need something more robust.

If I got the Strada (more available), I'd probably want a 21/18 wheel conversion.

The bigger issue would be the budget, which would be tight at around €2,500 for the mods.
    Daniel bam likes this.
  2. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Nice bike but I would be worried about the lack of support. BMW has disowned the bike and KTM helped when they bought the Husky brand but never really supported it. I do own Strada and like it but wouldn't tour on it.
  3. Mikedefieslife Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW xCountry
    That was also true of the xCountry when I had it. On a tour dealer support is near zero for most bikes because typically they aren't sold (at least in any numbers) in the places people typically want to overland.

There are two TR650s near me, but also some Superduals which might be worth a look.
  4. anton_80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vespa 200 IRIS, VESPA 125 PRIMAVERA
    Hello, I would not buy that motorcycle in 2024, you have to be looking for replacement parts for everything. Neither BMW nor Husqvarna will do anything for you. But for the price you indicate, maybe it could be a cheap option to enjoy it. I have the terra and it really is very fun and the best thing is how it moves over rocky terrain
  5. Bluff Boitjie Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650

I live in South Africa and I have had my Terra 650 for 3 years now and am loving it. 17' rear tyre and 21' front. Stock shocks, would upgrade but too expensive here in South Africa. I am the 4th owner and have installed a wind screen to prevent the wind panel beating me on the highway. I installed a booster plug to get rid of the intermittent stalling in low range or at stop street. I converted my air box to a UNI POD 2 stage foam air filter as the factory paper filter was not stopping all the dust when off road. I installed a steel tail rack as the factory one was pathetic and broke constantly. I installed LED indicators as the original ones broke from all the off roading. I made an orange plastic head light protector out of a plastic sheet and heat gun bent to fit. The bike has a really nice belly plate and crash bars and a custom chain guard, but were fitted before I got it so can't say where it was purchased. It also has after market slip on exhausts which are too loud, wish it still had the originals. Barkbuster hand guards have come in handy when dropping the poor lady a few times while doing some serious single track bush stuff! The last POD MOD photo with a green filter is from another Cafe Husky post(hope they don't mind). I never took a final photo of mine as I had already oiled it and closed it up.

Attached Files:

Mikedefieslife and Johnn like this.
  6. PaulWatertownCT Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR150, TE250, TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda, Beta,
    Well call me crazy but I just picked up a 2013 Strada with 742 original miles, in storage for years, never registered, came with original certificate of origin. I own a 2013 WR and know what a tough time it is to find parts for these bikes but I just love the looks and style of this bike and couldn’t resist for $3k.

Installed a new battery and some fresh gas and it started right up. ECU was never updated, runs pretty rough at low RPMs and stalls as I expected. I guess I need to tear it open and see if the airbox is sealed and whatever moth or other nests are in there. I’m now faced with trying to get the ECU updated . I’ve been reading up on this forum and see all sorts of recommendations, I guess I have my work cut out for me. I’ll post on the progress.
    Daniel bam likes this.
  7. PaulWatertownCT Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR150, TE250, TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda, Beta,
  8. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada

Local KTM dealer. So cool, good luck and enjoy.
  9. Bluff Boitjie Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650

Hi Paul. I would also check all the basics seeing as it was in storage for so long. Once done and she still stalls on low RPM, get yourself a Power Commander/Booster Plug. I had similar issues and it sorted out the problem. My Terra hasn't skipped a beat.
    booster plug pic.jpg

Attached Files: