1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

Buying a used bike...what would you do?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by 99WR250, Mar 19, 2013.

1. 99WR250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    If you bought a used bike as your first trail bike (1999 WR250)... What would be your check list of things to go over?

So far I have:

Replaced tank with fresh gas/stabil
    Disassembled and cleaned pet cock
    Replaced air filter
    Changed oil
    Replaced tires
    Replaced wheel bearings
    Greased all zerks
    Adjusted suspension
    Changed front and rear brake pads
    New sproket/chain

Am I missing anything? What other items would you suggest inspecting?
  2. bdl507 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    99 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    rd350 dr650 tt500 pe250 hondas lots
    Flush brake fluid
    Clean carb has to be dirty if petcock was
    And ride it a ton lol
  3. 99WR250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    Thanks are those two thing relatively easy to do? Would I need any special tools?
  4. utopia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250, WXC125
    Disassemble, clean, and regrease linkage, swingarm, and steerer tube bearings. Change fork oil and shock fluid. And repack the silencer.
  5. 99WR250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    Utopia! Thanks for the added info. Any suggestions on the type of repacking material for the silencer? My parts shops says there are a few kinds: sheet like material, and more of a cotton candy type/consistency. He also says there are different weights/ratings for the baffle material... Do you know what I need to go with ?

Also. What type /weight fork oil, and how much goes in each stanchion?

Thanks for the help in advance. I'll post up pics of the process in order to help newer members like myself when they run into the same problems!
  6. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Exhaust packing - my preference is sheet material, more even pressure when wrapping. Weight/ratings? So long as it's for motorbike's is fine, l have used steel wool for a 4t road once....

Fork oil - consult a manual (pm and l can email), need a fork level tool or steel ruler, syringe and clear tube works as well, plenty of vids on how to dissemble and measure forks (RMATV has a good one). I use 5wt and 100mm airgap for my forks.

Rear Shock: if you don't have the tools (most don't) send it to your LBS and have them service the shock (fresh oil, gas recharged).

Don't know your riding ability or type of riding, but the best bet is to send your forks and shock to a suspension tuner to do a complete service, springs to your weight and possible valving - THE BEST mod that a rider can do to a bike (new or old).

Make sure to torque the fork clamps to OE specs, sometimes guys over tighten them which causes binding as well as the front axle bolt - all about fork alignment and saving you from leaky fork seals and binding.
  7. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I always pull the pipe and pull the reed block in order to have a good look at the piston and ring wear. Some engines are more prone to stress crack a piston on the intake side so why not have a look while the carb is off. I also do all of the above listed. You will have piece of mind if you find nothing wrong and save big if you catch a problem early
    huskybear and Xcuvator like this.
  8. utopia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250, WXC125
    For packing, I have been using the red FMF stringy stuff and it works well. The sheet stuff is easier to use. Both work fine. Just don't pack it too tight or it will be loud and not work properly. For fork oil, I recommend finding a manual and go by the recommendations for oil weight and level for your year and model.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I bought a 99 WR250 brand new, was my first new Husky. Great bike. Super reliable. I did ahve an issue where the base valves int he forks came loose and cause the front end to have nearly zero damping. I believe that bike had linkage and swing arm zerk fittings so they might be good if someone took the time to actually squeeze some grease in there once in a while. Also all motor parts interchange with the newer ones, same motor. Actually the whole bike except for the plastic is very similar. Enjoy.
  10. nonamerider Husqvarna
    AA Class

inspect adj innerclutch.allother recommendations are excellent.
  11. Jack Husqvarna
    AA Class