1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Can i use my 125 PV in oem 144 kit?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Morgan, May 8, 2013.

1. Morgan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso IE 650
    I need some help.

I´m Danish. Hope you can understand me.

Two weeks ago i finally recieved my oem 144 kit after waiting nearly six months...
    Well actually i didn´t get a 144 kit, cause Husqvarna didn´t have one in stock.
    Instead i got all the parts for the 144 kit, ordered individually. Except the powervalves!
    My dealer forgot to order the powevalves and now they are in back order:-(

The thing is, im going for a 7 days riding trip in Romania next week and would love to do it with the 144 kit installed. Both because of the extra ooomph, but more because i´ve done over 70 hours on the 125 kit and would like to go with a fresh top end.

I doubt i will get the 144 powevalves in time, so i´m wondering if i can put the 144 kit on, using the powervalves from the 125?

The bike is a stock 2011 WR125. I´t runs VERY well and crisp as is:-)

Thanks for a brilliant forum. Regards Morgan.
  2. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    PM wally bean he can tell you,,hes the go to guy here.. Have a fun, safe ride.:thumbsup:
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    As the bore is slightly bigger the power valve will stick out to far in the bore. You can probably make this work by putting a shim on the powervlave shaft inside the powervalve chamber to make the PV sit back further and out of the pistons way. You could also grind them but this is not reversible and much harder. Regardless you have to make sure the PV's are not going to interfere with the piston stroke.

this might look somewhat different than yours as it is a 04-08 type cylinder but the idea is to put a thin shim on the shaft of the PV's in the lower right of this picture between the collars and the retaining plates.

Hopefully walt chimes in here soon.

[IMG]
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Unfortunately the curve of the cylinder on the 125 is quite a bit tighter. So to keep the tips of the power valves from sticking out the inside near the exhaust bridge will have to be spaced considerably back. This will really hurt your bottom/mid. Also by spacing the valves out to gain clearance you will also lose throw unless you can find the right size shim to go under the cups themselves and hope they don't dislodge. Short answer....I wouldn't try it. Source a fresh ring for your 125 and ride that until you have the correct parts for the conversion. You can also grind your current valves to fit but if you haven't done this before it is pretty easy to bolick it up.
    K.Forte' likes this.
  5. Morgan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso IE 650
    Hi guys. Thanks so much for your replys!

I will go with Walt´s solution and just put a new ring on the 125, untill the correct powervalves show up for the 144kit.
    If i had more time and experience i might have tryed to shim or grind the 125 valves to work, but i have neigther..
    As i said in my post, my 125 runs brilliant (it did from day one) and i don´t want to mess that up before a great riding holiday.

Have a good day (or evening over there):)
  6. antztapz Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna sm
    Hello guys!
    I have husqvarna sm 08-year.
    i have orginal sm 125cc cylinder on my bike, but can i change it to wr cylinder? or can i maybe change it to 144cc cylinder?
    i have electrical exhaust port control so if i change to wr cylinder or 144cc is that problem?
    and where should i get 144cc cylinder kits?
  7. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    In my opinion you can as the actuation is only different not the power vavle set up

but there is another thing that restricts the SMS 125

the exhaust and the carb

so getting it bored up without addressing these components also will leave you with a bit more gain but not even close to what you can get out of it

the exhaust is an easy one to change

the carb in general also (i Don't know if the SMS 125 works with a throttle position sensor (the 2004 did not))

if there is a throttle sensor involved it complicates things

be aware that the power valve actuation response curve is fixed and not adjustable so that could also a holding back factor

the kits should be around on E bay or on the classifieds here on this forum

Robert-Jan
  8. Morgan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso IE 650
    Quick update.
    Lucky me. I got my powervalves last minute:banana:
    So last night i installed the 144 kit and got it running. I simply love how logical/easy this bike is to work on!
    Today, after two heatcycles, i took it for a testdrive and everything seems to be working great. The sparkplug looks good too.
    Can´t wait to give it some and get a better impression of the kit!

Have a good weekend. I´m of to Romania in the morning:)
    crille74, Blakelpd5 and Motosportz like this.