1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Can you here me husky , new old motor idle

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by johnnyBgood, Nov 12, 2010.

1. johnnyBgood Husqvarna
    B Class

Does anybody miss the old piston port motors of the pass , I think Husky should be the first to bring them back ! Ya I,ve got a o9 WR250 and ya its got tons of power and big two stroke hit but for the kind of woods riding I do , I miss piston port motor power like my old DT1 250 I think husky made a few back in the day , wink-wink , gobbs of tork and plenty of top end that bike made sweet power and we ran the hell out of thoughs motors for years with no problems .To be honest I,m much faster and most people are with less horse power and more tork and realy good suspension Now I,m talking about a modern version a water cooled , no giant exspation chambers , no power valves , less parts lighter weight due to less parts , easy jetting if any at all we never jetted our old bikes and they didnt seam to care , lower maintenance due to less parts now put that motor in a late model husky frame and modern suspenders now that would be a bike I,ed buy . So Husky if your out there I hope you hear me ya,ll could sell tons of these bikes they would make average joe,s weekend heros , I,m just saying , I think I,ll go now and shoe horn one of these old motors in my new husky :D
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    When sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous!:eek:
  3. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

A time when spelling, punctuation and grammar mattered! :lol:

Sorry, I’m a bad person and could not resist! :busted:
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Been riding one a lot lately and agree. Love the motor so much I have been upgrading everything around it. Newer front end, wide pegs, fat bars, etc. In addition to the great motor with torque for days (WR400) the 10 inches of travel and low seat make it wonderful in the slick winter crap. Fun bike.

[IMG]
  5. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    Does that have a piston port motor?
  6. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    That looks like a nice challenging little uphill trail.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I thought it did. Carb enters the cylinder not the case and has no powervalve. Thought these were still piston port but maybe not. Never had it apart.
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    piston port motor is open ports for exhaust and intake, no reed valves (IN) and no exhaust PV (Out).
    Those are the most simple (and inefficient) 2 strokes. The only thing that controls the ports is the piston, piston up crankcase vacuum =intake, piston on powerstroke going down expanded gas under pressure escapes through the exhaust port same time as crankcase pressure is pushing the new mixture into the cumbustion chamber. The item that controls the new mix and exhaust is the expansion chamber which stops the overlap to keep the new charge in the chamber, but on old piston port motors many did not even have chambers developed (read simple effective but somewhat inefficient as far as fuel control went).
    I really dont think we ever see a basic piston port motor again unless engineering some how gets it injected and have some sort of expansion chamber or something to control the intake charge and exhaust gasses to keep the overlap minimal.
  9. johnnyBgood Husqvarna
    B Class

Good thing they don,t pay me to spell or punctut-- what ever , funny how much $$$ I make not being able to , back at ya punk ! Back to the older bikes all you see on these sites are people me included trying to work out all kinds of problems with the modern bikes don,t get me wrong I love the new bikes just wish they still made motors 2t,s with out so much bite and more tork and keep all the good stuff frame , suspension etc.. bike builders all ways cut this stuff out of non race inspired motors . Buddy said they where inefficient I have a vintage one I ride now and its super smooooth compared to most modern bikes ( some not all ) and that old bike still rips and never complains . As far as the sex , danger thing I never saw a dangerous motorcycle , only dangerous in the hands of idits . Spell check please.
  10. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

No hard feelings JBG, jus yankin yer chayn!

I’m too old to be called a punk though. More like, cranky old fart.

We could compare $$$ though, I mean, if you want….

I learned to ride on those old school smokers. My '77 YZ125 and '81 IT250 had such narrow power bands and cruel hits that I learned a unique technique that can only be described as slip 'n blip. I still use it today on my modern bikes. Can’t teach an old dog new tricks! :lol: My KTM hates it! The others tolerate it, but I go through some clutches. My left forearm looks like Popeye’s!! :lol:

To be honest though, I kind of like my ’06 WR 250. It is much nicer to ride in ugly snot than my IT250 ever was.

Edit: BTW, My son loves Johnny Be Good. He can play it with all the punch and style of 'ole Mr. Berry. He's a good boy.
  11. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

One more thing JBG, you can really smooth out that low end on even the most modern bike by fitting the 'right' sized carb. The WR250 loves a 34mm carb, but this is a lot of work. You should be able to fit a 35 or 36 rather easily. It will give you back a lot of the old school low-end response you are missing without loosing more than a HP on top. Unless you are trying to take RC or JS on the inside line at Anaheim you don’t need that 38.

There are those here that will disagree with me. They believe that today’s manufacturers screwed everything up, except the carb size. :lol:
  12. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I remember those old days of screwing a spark plug into all three holes in my Maico head, so I would have something to try if where it died wasn't on a hill and too muddy for a bump. Different heat ranges, so there would be a hot one for cold start and when it flooded the Bing eccentric. Almost every time my WR fires up on the first kick, I think of those "good old days" and those Maicos.

When every thing was good though.... it was really good.
    [IMG]
  13. johnnyBgood Husqvarna
    B Class

All right Billo-popeye now your just making me mad I,m way to Irish :mad: , what are you a school teacher . All I was saying is that a bike like that sounds fun to me , don,t run my dream bike down , I said a modern version gees . I still like my 09 wr250 I,ve put on 36mm carbs and have gone back to 38 pwk and it just fine . I can also remeber when cars where fun to drive I guess thats why I keep and old jeep around just for that . I,m probably older than you:oldman: , so your still a PUNK .:lol:
  14. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey JBG, I was born in Bray, just south of Dublin!! :cheers:

No, not trying to make you mad at all, and no, I'm not a teacher :eek: I actually did not do well in grade school or high school :confused: Long career of issues with authority .:excuseme:

In any case, if your WR runs well with the PKW38, that's a good thing! :thumbsup: I think the bike these days that is most like the power of the old school open bikes is the KTM300. A bit more civilized, but tons and tons of torque everywhere. Try one out if you haven’t already. It might be a bit closer to getting that old engine feel in a modern bike. Too much bike for me but the nice thing about is it starts and you don’t need to bring a bag of plugs with you, like in the good ‘ole days! :lol:

I used to have a ’67 Valiant. 225 slant 6 and a 3-speed manual transmission. That thing had torque! Sometimes that 3-speed felt like overkill! Not much on the HP though. :(

I'm only 53 ... my kids assure me I'm old. :oldman:
  15. johnnyBgood Husqvarna
    B Class

Your cool BillO:thumbsup: , I just like to fuss or fight or what ever comes first , and you are older then me , that makes me feel better I,m not the oldest one here:lol: . Most the kids are still trying to catch me in the woods they smoke me on the track , wisdom and experience beats youth and luck most the time to old guys:cheers: .
  16. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ha, my son got faster than me when he was 13 and has never looked back!

I jealous of where you live, JBG. You can ride year-round most years. I've got to get somewhere warmer than where I am. I had was probably my last ride of the year yesterday.:thumbsdown:
  17. johnnyBgood Husqvarna
    B Class

Ya,ll come on down , just rode 38 miles of single track 5 & 6 dimond this pass sunday super tuff but loads of fun . My riding season just began way to hot here in the summer mid 90,s are rough . We do have two of the south best riding parks here if your not in to racing , Highland park is one of the check it out on the web , miles of hard wood single track make nice vacation spot .;)