Carabao Highways

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by ray_ray, Jan 11, 2013.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    'Carabao Hiway' is another term I made up for riding here that seems to fit... These 'highways' are trails, maybe roads, that are either so muddy and steep or narrow, that trucks and cars cannot make it up or down them ... Carabao, horses, big bikes, small bikes (when dry), and foot travel only ...

Carabao pull sleds here with people or goods on them and leave very distinct sled marks ... When I see these sled marks, the trail might can be labeled Carabao hiway <#> :) ..

These videos are of Carabao Hiway 101 ... The first time I saw it , it had just been bulldozed and was 100% free of all cover and was just mud from side to side... No vehicle I have ever seen here would have been able to travel it because it is too muddy and too steep ... We only headed down it that day as coming up it would have been very difficult and very hard on our bikes ...

This hiway starts a few miles past the Danasan ECO ADV Park and ends at a river in a large flat valley so I'm guessing somewhere in the future, a bridge will be built across the river as a good road does exist on the opposite side ...

Heading up the hiway from the river at the bottom ... My good friend James Roy is on my 08 TXC250 doing the filming and I'm on the 08 WR250 .. James did not wanna ride his hondo 450 racer as he was not sure it would make it over and back home in 1 piece.

Rolling down the hiway to the river ... If you look at the sides of the hiway, there are at least 4-5 places the road is almost washed in half or at least has some serious washes you do not wanna hit ... First pass over lots of terrain should always be slow and cautious in many cases here ...

I'll upload some pics here after the CH server allows file uploading for me ...
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The pics ... Coffee fixed the CH rigging :banana: ... Great job flying this CH rig and I hope he wears a helmet because even these things can crash sometimes :)

ECO ADV Park ... Its a very cool place ... even has beer :)
    101_1180.JPG

08 WR250 at the bottom of the valley ... The river was very low today.
    101_1183.JPG

James was getting some info on exactly where we were at .... 101_1190.JPG
    101_1193.JPG

Some locals at the river on the other side... 101_1198.JPG

A real life china bike ...imported by the Rusi Company ... It'll make it up and down the Caraboa Hiway, maybe...But it's not gonna run with those Huskies ...looks like a close cousin to most japan bikes to me ... 101_1201.JPG

A view west towards Astoria ... I'll be back as I have more business in that thar direction :) 101_1202.JPG
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    A few more ....

08 WR250 back on the top side of Hiway 101
    101_1204.JPG

08 TXC250 with James on the top also.
    101_1206.JPG

I've posted other threads about the road over to Austoria going from a trail 2 yrs when I saw it first, to this new dozer work just a few miles from the ECO Park ... This area here was a gnarled dirt road not too long ago ... Next up will be cement for it :( .... I don't think 101 will be cemented in the near future as the more traveled road at this fork heading west also will see more work first ... 101_1205.JPG

Couple of hard-chargers and their dog that came up Hiway 101 ... You can just see their colts butt sticking out from behind their horses rear end ... That's the 928 Thoroughbred in the foreground AND its handle bar is not on the tree ...These bikes have a kick stand! I sometimes forget. 101_1208.JPG

A little different area but on the same days ride and on the mountain pass over to the ECO Park... There is village at the bottom of that valley 101_1210.JPG

A little better look at the bottom of the valley and some of the houses there .. I'd like to try to find a way into the place some day. 101_1222.JPG
    huskybear likes this.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nothing like a newly bulldozed road to blast down ...

5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    It was another great day in the Philippines for dirt bike riding on my 2010 TC250 (WA) bike ... I was extending my route here across this great nation and had another outstanding time and of course my Husky was about non-stoppable as usual ...

Here's some pics and video of some traffic on the the highway ...

This shows this old-timer and his grandson maybe with 2 carabaos and their sleds ... That sled design is about the only type I see here .. The front legs carry most of the weight with the hind legs always pointed outwards for stability I'd guess ...Leaves a very unique mark on the ground ..
    101_3448.JPG

That 3rd beast to the far right is used for plowing ... These were some gnarly old-timers here .. Its times like this when I wish I could speak the language here and BS with these the local people some ...
    101_3450.JPG

101_3461.JPG

Out of the blue comes this multi-cab .. You'll notice all the banners here on the truck .. Its election time here ... Can be dangerous during this time as .. Where Americans (1st world) just lie about and slander each other, the Filipinos (3rd world) will shoot each over over elections...
    101_3463.JPG
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    And yep, you guessed it ... These guys are customers for the carabaos !! :banana:...

Too cool and they were excited as I was at the time ... Girls (ESP) are always excited to see a foreigner and I'm down with that ...
    101_3464.JPG

The goods ... 101_3465.JPG

Loaded up bag of rice .... 101_3468.JPG

Heres this old-timer back plowing ... He's one tough old bird for sure ...
    101_3470.JPG
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Enough of the static stuff ... We're going dynamic here ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V85qnCElCzA

I'm hoping some day in the future I can own my very own carabao :) ...

Mission complete and heading back ..probably got a few votes here for providing the taxi service :) ...
    101_3466.JPG
    dave lindsey likes this.