Carb Leaking Fuel from Overflow/Drain Line

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by duggoey, Mar 4, 2014.

1. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    From another thread on the 98 Yam WR project: When the bike is moved about without the motor running I notice a small amount of fuel leaking from the carb overflow line, when the motor is running there is no leak, when the bike is upright and stationary there is no leak. The leak is particularly worse if I lean it over to the right. Not having ever owned a bike with this type of 2T carb is this normal or is my float needle dodgy and not sealing off new fuel from the bowl? The carb has a new pilot and main jet and was dipped and thoroughly cleaned before reassembly.

I'm assuming the movement of the fuel in the bowl is enough to drop the float needle just a tad allowing an overflow?? Do I need to adjust the float level? Never had this issue on any of my carb'd 4 strokes.
  2. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Sounds like the float is not adjusted right. It varies by bike, but you ought to be able to tip the bike about 45 degrees without overflow. Check the owner's manual for the actual spec for that model. Floats are generally set to parallel with the body when it touches the needle's pin, but I don't know about that bike specifically.

Given the age of the bike, it would be sensible to replace the needle, seat, and any o-rings in the system, and possibly the float itself if they are cheap.
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    And the float level adjustment is a little short of precise .. You just gotta bend a small metal tab up\down with your fingers :)
  4. xlink Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey guys, sorry to dig this up...

2006 610sm dumped the whole gas tank on the ground, through the bowl overflow. I assume it is a needle/seat/o-ring issue...where do I buy the right o-ring?

Does anybody have any tutorials? It has been a while since I've messed with the carburetor.

Thank you in advance.
  5. xlink Husqvarna
    AA Class

6. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    Hi.
    Yep, i fixed it with a new float seal assy. I heard some fixed my problem ( on an older Yamaha 2T) with just cleaning the sealing face/seat and the float pin oring/needle. I think the oring is on the needle, I can't remember.
    It is normal for fuel to leak if its tipped too far over if the float is high, i had a bike which over time leant further and further on the stand until it started to leak. I ended up fixing the side stand and the carb was fine.