Carmen (west) trail verification ride - 1

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by ray_ray, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    A trail verification ride is what I do from time to time on specific trails in my immediate area to ensure that they are still ridable... Usually GPS assisted.. So I'm off 20 miles from home and miss a turn and just kept riding down the route I was verifying .. Missing the turn was no big deal and I could have turned back but it was a really cool dirt road and I just changed plan in the middle of the ride and decided to follow the new road out to where ...

This road needs to be ridden out also and turned out to be a quit a ride ... Much more than was expected ... I did not even come close to finishing out the road and it has several branches to follow up on and a large flat creek than needs to be followed... This was big find for me as it opens up several new routes possibilities and much of what I saw today was lots of dirt without so many rocks :0) ...

Busted out the white Klims and yep that tire is toast but I know where I'm going and that tire will be OK working with my 010 TC250.. just gotta do the clutch and throttle thing ...There's a good chance of hardtop miles on the way back and this tire is the best for that also
    102_4685.JPG

Cruised by the big banana field
    102_4686.JPG

Saw some water in the creeks for a change ...
    102_4688.JPG

Here's where the known gnarly-ism started and continued for the next several miles.
    102_4691.JPG
    LandofMotards likes this.
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The road I was following just kept getting smaller and smaller ... Still good riding and the dirt in this area was about as loamy as I've saw anywhere on this half of the island.
    102_4697.JPG

The road finally started following a large flat creek ... This was pretty cool riding... Water was only a few inches deep and we keep going out of it and back to some sandy dirt ...really cool ridng
    102_4703.JPG

There's the creek and there's my path out to the right...Not sure where this creek is going so I'm looking for a trail out of it and head in a different direction ....
    102_4706.JPG

Here's a closer look at that climb ... perfect dirt almost and of course much more steep than the camera shows ... Also, those washed out places are much deeper than they look ... The 010 TC250 with 13/50 gearing is about to be tested over the next few miles ... My tire could be a real issue here ... I was not counting on riding in this type stuff today ...
    102_4710.JPG
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This about all I have to show you what was up there across this mountain ridges ... Believe me, it was steep small climb after climb up and around some deeply rutted dirt roads ... Lots of places I was riding between ruts on places not much wider than the tires ..All safe but the ruts might be over knee deep ...After starting the climb in places, no stopping and I had to get rough with the bike on these short steep twisty climbs ... I can't control a bike in 1st gear hardly, so I always go to second if possible ... I just got up on the pegs and shifted to 2nd and the rest is Husky history ... I was forced back to 1st gear in places, but over all I was in 2nd, on the clutch, the throttle, and the pegs ... It was heaven at 2,000 ft ...
    102_4717.JPG

102_4718.JPG

Back home after a 30MPH hardtop ride after I dropped out of the mountains ... This area was even more remote than the last remote spot I was in ... Same general area as this ride but even deeper in the mountains ... I really need a local with me here ...
    102_4721.JPG
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I forgot to add these bikes (taxis) I saw up there ... I've saw bikes customized here but nothing like theses ... And I've saw many different SA on bikes but never anything extended this much or in this way ... These guys were traveling together ... Maybe for safety purposes ... As I said, there were some steep climbs out there ... This is not a beginner route.

102_4713.JPG

102_4712.JPG

This guy has some sort of shock problem ...
    102_4714.JPG

Looks like some small FS on all of them also ...
    Dirtdame and LandofMotards like this.
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    haha! "Gnarlyism"...love it! :applause:

Gotta love the huge seats and twin shocks on those "taxi"bikes. Whatever works, eh?

You sure live in a beautiful place. I think you should host the next gathering!
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yep and don't forget about the bike foot rests .. Gotta keep the customers as comfy as possible ... That extended swing arm blew me away at first sight ... But it makes perfect sense for the climbs around there ... I'm heading back in there tomorrow after an easy ride today and I'll be watching for these guys .. I'll be trucking the bike north a few miles to shorten the ride time to the area that actually needs exploring ...

--
    As far as hosting ... I'll be here for quite some time I think, so take your time showing up .. and I'm good for recommending hotels as my place is very small ...

--
    I was in hills like this today ...
    102_4737.JPG
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I went back into this area to do more mapping but my GPS battery went down :( ... So I got only minimum tracking recorded on the area ... Some really cool climbs but only one trail seemed to go anywhere and not dead-end ... It was just a little spooky in this area with not alot of people and trails that are so gnarly ..

Here are a few more pics and some video below ...

Small chapel for taking a break at along the way ...
    102_4772.JPG

Unless I miss my guess, there is a small trail I've ridden on just under that top ridge line ... Probably not possible, but I'll return in the near future and try to connect this ride over to that trail.
    102_4789.JPG

This shot gives an idea of how steep some of these climbs are ... Looks like a dozer was here recently also ...
    102_4806.JPG

Here is a small elementary school at the very start of the climb ... I call the ridge it is sitting on Pet Ridge..
    102_4807.JPG
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here's the trail heading down into that big valley ... This road was dozed in the last couple yrs I'd guess ... I gotta return here and finish this ride down into the valley and see what is down there ... Across the valley looks like a ridge I have ridden before and it would be really cool to cross over and go up the other side ..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvA81KF6aco

Here's heading back up this trail and back up on the ridge line.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T36IKRaGrPA