1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Chain Stretch

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mbrophy, Dec 29, 2012.

1. mbrophy Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    I have an 09 WR250. I have to adjust the chain after every ride because the chain is stretching so bad. Wearing sprockets as well. I adjust the chain with a Motion Pro adjustment tool and than check it with a micrometer. Could the swingarm be bent and if so how do I tell? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks Mad Mike
  2. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    What type of chain?
    What type of riding terrain ie. mud, sand....?

Cheap chains stretch quickly as do most non o-ring chains.
  3. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Adjusting the chain too tightly will also cause the problems you are describing.
    ray_ray likes this.
  4. husky3002t Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    get yourself a good quality chain like D.I.D gold chain and supersprox stealth sprockets and you will get long life out of them
  5. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    X2:thumbsup:!
  6. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Chains can be adjusted with a ruler, if not just by feel; you definitely don't need a micrometer.

I would be concerned that you are setting the chain too tight.
  7. gasgas17 Husqvarna
    A Class

I have worn out many good quality O-ring chains, but have never had one show any signs of stretch. Ussually the rollers wear out long befor they stretch.
    Gotlabs likes this.
  8. mbrophy Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    I'm using an O-ring chain. I use the micrometer to measure the distance of the axle stops compared to the swingarm. The tension is set according to the manual. The chain will not ride on the slide on top of the swingarm but cuts it at an angle. Has anyone heard of bending a swingarm?
  9. woodzi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Measure from the centre of the swingarm pivot to the axle on each side to make sure they are the same. Measuring the axle stops may not be accurate (you will know after you measure from the swingarm pivot). You can also look along the length of the chain from the rear to make sure the sprockets are aligned.

Use some tiedowns over the seat to compress the suspension to where the chain tension is tightest and adjust so there is some slack at that point.
    MotoMarc36, huskybear and McKay like this.
  10. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    Line up the wheel/chain/sprockets, by eye. Forget about measuring the swing arm slots. If you cant get it all lined up by eye, then consider your swing arm may be bent.
  11. haulin husky7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 txc310, 2000 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 TM 300en, 93 KLX650R, 1975 XR75
    I've still got the stock chain with 300+ hours on my 09 wr250,but I've been through 3 sets of sprockets. Does anybody know what chain came on the 09?
  12. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    + 1 The only way.
  13. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Super sound advice! I would add that the chain is at it's tightest when the rear axle, swingarm pivot, and countershaft are on the same axis (straight line through them all). No matter the bike this is true, it is looser as the axle travels above or below this axis. So use a tiedown to achieve this or a jack under the bike with the top shock unmounted. Then, adjust the chain to have minimal play, almost tight. Next allow to extend, and put on stand. Check chain slop by finger-feel or measure or make a go-nogo block. You will always have the chain perfect now and it should stretch less.

This is useless on a worn chain, they stretch WAY unevenly.

By all means spend good money on a chain. More expensive is generally better. non o-ring chains don't wear faster than o-ring chains until the run dry, keep em well lubed, pack chainlube if your ride takes you farther than the lube lasts. A worn (stretched) chain will quickly waste new sprockets, keep the chain fresh and even aluminum sprockets last forever.