1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc changing jets, hints and tips 4 carb access

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by motosapiens, Mar 17, 2010.

1. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Most stuff is pretty easy to work on, but the way the throttle cable runs between the motor mounts on the wr300 makes getting to the carb a little trickier. I can get to the needle by just loosening the clamps slightly and turning the carb a few degrees. If i remove the slide I can yank the whole carb out without too terribly much trouble, but I'd like to not have to do that for jet changes.

if I remove the slide, should i be able to turn the carb enough to remove the float bowl drain plug and get to the main and pilot?

Can i get to the main and pilot by just removing the drain? or do i need to remove the float bowl too ( i hope not).

Anyone route the throttle cable any differently with success? I haven't looked real closely at it yet. My kx has a little bend so it comes in underneath the motor mounts, which makes it a little easier (cuz the slide isn't trapped there in the way), but you still have to remove the lid to get the carb to turn very far.
  2. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Re-route the cable outside of the head stay and you can then twist the carb to access the jets without removing the slide. The cable is long.

You can access the MJ and PJ through the drain.
  3. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

u da man. I should just start pm-ing you my questions instead of posting them. :notworthy:
  4. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    My pleasure.
    Its not often that I get to sound like I know what I'm talking about:cheers: Plus others may find this info useful in the future.

What you really should do is search for an old NWetrider post talking about the 'fixes' that should be done before putting too many miles on her.

Loctite motor mount bolts, fix mudflap, etc....
  5. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

once i rerouted the cable around the headstays, it was a piece of cake to get to the carb and change the jets. thanks for the tip. :cheers::notworthy:
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yep it is some very helpful guys and girls on this site.
  7. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    yipper run the cable to the right of the stays and it's an easy swing to get the slide out then the jets can come out the bowl drain hole. dont remove the carb unless absouletly nec as the boots are tender and dont like that abuse too much. ill pull the subframe off so as to stress the boots less if i gotta yank the carb esp on the 4t.
  8. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you put a screw top PWK on you can change needle and main jet in under 5 minutes.
  9. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

does it take people longer than that to do it on the mikuni carb?

most of my time is spent wrestling with the jigsaw-puzzle tank. Once that is off the needle or jet change goes very quick.
  10. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Why do you take the tank off? I have a 125 now but I thought the 300 still had plenty of room to rotate the carb and get to the top of it as long as the cable is routed outside the stays.
  11. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

now that the cable is rerouted i may not need to take the tank off. previously i had to do it to get to the top of the carb.
  12. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    So when you reroute the cable, you do absolutely nothing except pull it out of the mounting points from the cylinder to the frame? Chain side or shifter side? Which way do you usually spin the carb to get to the jets? I found it easier to rejet from the shifter side.
  13. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    I understand now. Put the cable on the left side, spin to remove the slide, then tip the carb the other way to get at the jets.