1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Chasing pics of WR 250 exhaust mounts

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Rob09, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Hey guys, put my 09 WR250 down pretty hard on the road the other day. Only damage seems to be exhaust, broke a silencer mount, the upper expansion chamber mount and destroyed the o-ring when the expansion chamber got torn out (DEP pipe seems ok, few other scrapes but I have to admit the thing is built like a brick.)

Anyway, hoping someone could provide pics of the pipe mounts, I have replacement parts coming, but I can't get everything to line up even close and I'm worried I have bent the pipe. Thanks in advance!
  2. Doug Piper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 SM250
    Sounds like the chamber is bent lots, will try and send pictures later, do you want the chamber mounts or frame mounts ?
  3. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Thanks champ, just the lower and upper mounts thanks, have a replacement for the upper mount coming today but can't get it to dummy-up right with old broken bracket. Pipe looks fine, believe it or not! Thanks for your help.
  4. Doug Piper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 SM250
  5. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Thanks champ, helped heaps. Exhaust back on and fine. Sounds dumb but couldn't get the orientation right.
  6. Doug Piper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 SM250
    My pleasure, glad it was not a major job. :)
  7. duey Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 ktm xc 2008 ktm 250 sx
    hey rob how do you like dep pipe an what using for silencer had one on ktm years back
  8. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    I haven't ridden this bike with anything else so I can't really compare. Have the DEP silencer as well but this is the on WR 250 I've ever seen in person so I can't even compare sound levels for you sorry. Pulls hard right through the rev range and has pretty decent bottom end torque for a 250 2T so it can't be a bad thing.
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I think the DEP pipes are killer on the WR250. Best all around pipe I've tried, but that's just my opinion. They do seem a little hard to mount up correctly and the head pipe runs a little tight to the water pump hoses, but hasn't been a problem.
  10. 99WR250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    Glad I came across this thread! I'm in the process of fixing up a 99wr250 and have run into a similar issue. When I bought the bike one of the exhaust/expansion chamber mounts was broken off. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I recently pulled the exhaust to paint it and ordered a new exhaust mount to replace the missing one. When re installing the exhaust I couldn't get the pipe lined up to fit into the motor AND flush with the new mounts. I think the previous owner must have bent the pipe in a crash? I was able to modify the mounts (bent them a little and added a few spacer washers) and was able to get everything to line up. Should the end of the exhaust that goes into the motor be super air tight? I replaced the 2 o rings on the expansion pipe where it couples with the motor, and everything looks pretty good...just worried it might affect the performance of the bike.

Side note: when cleaning the motor (before I noticed the exhuast issue) I noticed a lot of grime and build up at the lower portion of where the exhaust couples with the motor. About a half inch to an inch of build up. I'm thinking the previous owner crashed, bent the exhaust, broke the exhaust mount, but just kept using the bike with ought fixing it. The pipe was never then properly seated to the motor which lead to a small leak where the two join....resulting in a build up of crud that I cleaned off.

All in all I got everything to line up ok after modifying the exhaust mounts.....I guess my question is how air tight should that seal be where the motor meets the exhaust??

Thanks guys!!!

Sorry to thread hijack but it seems as the OP has solved his problem and this issue is semi related.

I'll post pics soon. What should I be looking for when testing it out when this snow is gone?
  11. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Does the '99 just have the top spring hook or is there one on the bottom also? Some have top and bottom spring hook loops and some don't. Seems like the older one don't, but I can show you a way to add a lower place to hook a spring that can help tighted up the fit.

As far as a tight fit, it's possible to have some drool from the joint and still be tight enough not to cause an issue. But, the tighter the better.
  12. 99WR250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    Great! How do I add another spring?