Check my understanding of the fuel pump

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by timeOday, Apr 21, 2012.

1. timeOday Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    smr510
    Other Motorcycles:
    VStrom
    My 2010 SMR510 won't start. When I turn on the ignition I can hear the fuel pump whir, but when I disconnect the fuel line from the tank and turn it on, it whirs no gas squirts. So I took out the fuel pump, hung it in a jar by the wires with the bottom half submerged in gas, and connected it to 12v. It does run, but no gas squirts out the output port. It should, right? I'm just doubtful because it seems like usually a broken fuel pump won't even spin.
  2. timeOday Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    smr510
    Other Motorcycles:
    VStrom
    PS, while I was in there I found a broken wire to the low fuel sensor. The bike is new to me, so I didn't know what range to expect. It didn't quit while I was riding it, but it's possible I ran it dry or close to dry which probably isn't great for the fuel pump?
  3. It should be pumping gas, either the filter is totally clogged or the pump is bad. It will pump up to whatever the pressure is then return fuel throught the outlet after the filter.
  4. smokinrider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2011, TE250 2010 & 2006,
    Other Motorcycles:
    TE450 2006&2008, WR125, SM610 TE250
    WOa,, basics first please before your strip anything down!!!

You say that the low fuel wire was broken, is there fuel in the tank, and i mean plenty not just a litre!

i rinsed out my tank the other day on the 250 and a bit of gloop came out, when i re assembled it on the bike i turned ignition and pump WHIRed stop as per usual i then cranked over no fire!! ignition off and on and whir crank no fire. hmmm

pulled fuel pipe from injector, ignition on, whir no squirt??????

reconnected pipe.
    i knew i only put a litre in the tank as the rest of the old went in the mower., unbolted tank and lifted up the front so the piddly ammount of fuel pooled at the lowest piont by the pump. whir stop, crank brmmmmm prob solved. pump hadnt primed although it gave the impression it had. that or pumps slipped (see other threads) and 1 litres not enough for the pickup but i filled tank later and its fine.

ok just re read your post before hitting enter, and i guess there was plenty of fuel in it but im not convinced.

could be blocked filter or the impellers broken off the shaft in the pump or pump isnt priming (most likely) if you are in any doubt about it running out. try manually filling pump or fully submerging it and repeat you jam jar test, watch your eyes!!!. im surprised it just packed up stood in your garage! you dont say how much fuel came out when pump was removed.
    250/310 manual decribes test as power it up, if it whirs its ok! or it actally says check its pumping but doesnt advise u how to do this so your jam jar way may suffice. if its still in the housing/mount from the tank your jam jar method may not be enough fuel to reach the pick up so dont rely on it.

Personally i think you may be better off fitting it in the tank filling with 3 litres of fuel and powering it up and seeing if its squirting, chances are it will be fine. by jumping the gun and going straight for the strip it down approach you now dont have a reliable test method if you cannot submerge the pump fully. back wash the filter whilst its apart anyway and read and take note of the other fuel pump slippage thread as a cable tie now may save u the aggro of stripping it again later.
  5. timeOday Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    smr510
    Other Motorcycles:
    VStrom
    OK, I am learning about FI by doing this. I had put some gas into the fuel line with it disconnected from the tank to "make sure" the engine was getting gas, not realizing FI pressurizes the entire fuel line at like 40 psi.
  6. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Yes, gas should be pumping out the out-flow tube, take your fuel filter off and try to blow through it, it should be free and clear with no resistance.
  7. timeOday Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    smr510
    Other Motorcycles:
    VStrom
    Yes, the pump not being primed (due to being only half submerged during my previous test) is just the sort of idea I was hoping for. But before disassembly I had filled up the tank and cranked that sucker way more than I was comfortable with (probably took 5 years off the starter motor) hoping it would come back to life. No luck. The fuel pump is currently removed from the tank and the housing/mount, so I think I will repeat the test with the pump fully immersed before replacing.

As for watching my eyes, I agree... I do not really enjoy working with the fuel system, and the possibility of sparks from the fuel pump or 12v wiring.
  8. smokinrider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2011, TE250 2010 & 2006,
    Other Motorcycles:
    TE450 2006&2008, WR125, SM610 TE250
    i think its timed to whir a certain amount which should prime it. cranking wont do this it has to be on and off on the key or stop button. may take 5-8 goes to reprime pump and filter. my outlet dribbled for ages when i 1st took it off injector so i guess it syphoned the filter empty. maybe just repeating on and off of the key would have solved it rather than tilting the tank.
  9. timeOday Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    smr510
    Other Motorcycles:
    VStrom
    It's working now. I got the aftermarket fuel pump from California Cycleworks. It worked immediately in the jam jar. Only problem was the hose they included was too short, so that cost me an extra trip to the auto parts store and $5. Anyways, it goes to show that a fuel pump might not work even if the motor inside it does work.