Checked out Moab for a couple days

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by CKPC, Jul 21, 2009.

1. CKPC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Took the family to Colorado to see an uncle then on the way back stopped in Moab for a couple days. I had never been but I wasn't going to miss a chance to check it out even with the high temps in the forecast.
    As we drive in on HWY 191 we see this huge cliff that runs along the hwy as we entered the Moab area. The power lines give you an idea of the height.
    [IMG]
    The temp was 106' and it felt every bit that hot. We stayed at the KOA just south of town. If your ever thinking of going there are several camp places and the KOA would not be my choice next time. It was decent but there were other choices that were better.

I can tell you from my opinion if you are going and not planning on riding,4x4ing, mt. biking,hiking or rafting there is no reason to go to Moab. I was only there two days but I think the choices for riding are endless.

Buy a map from one of the bicycle shops in town and it will show you everything. I went to "Poison Spider" bike shop and they were totally helpful. I did tell them I was thinking about taking out my mt. bike which seemed to break the ice. Got a map and some great personal info on where to go and what to expect.

Since it was so hot we started out early (5am) and hit the trail by 6 as the sun came up. It was already 78 and the breeze was warm.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    We rode an area just to the north of town since the guy at the bike shop said it would be easy to find and had a little of everything, from sand, slick rock, and beautiful scenery, plus we should be able to hit it all before it got to hot.

If you know the area the trails we hit were SevenMile Rim,Wipe Out Hill, and Tusher Canyon SlickRock.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Riding the rock is really cool except trying to follow the faded white markings that show where the trail goes is not always easy!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    This little guy never moved even when I walked right up and snapped a pic.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Uranium Arch
    [IMG]
    Ok so that first pick of the cliff along HWY 191, look to the far right in the picture and you'll see a small outcropping. Here it is!
    [IMG]
    My new avitar!!
    [IMG]
    HWY 191 off in the distance..
    [IMG]
    I plan on going again someday and would suggest it to anyone. The scenery is incredible as is the riding..
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Awesome. Every year i say I'm going, every year i don't go :banghead:
  3. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    :eek::eek:
    Great pics and report.
    When it gets hot outside like today 36c (that's 98ish F ) Nothing better than to start your ride early. :thumbsup:

thanx for sharing.:cheers:
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Moab is my week long destination the last week in February every year. So far I have only had to detour to somewhere warmer one year. Typical temps are in the 50's to 60's and you are a week ahead of the crowd and have the entire area to yourself. It is an absolute must ride at some point in your life. You do need at least a week as you just can't even scratch the surface in 2 or 3 days. I have probably riden close to 1500 miles in the area and still haven't made it to many of the great rides that are within an hour of Moab.

They also have a great beer and a nice brew pub:cheers:

Walt
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Yup yup yup, great report and pictures there.:applause: I always want to go every year and I don't....but it's a favorite venue of many SDAR members, so I really don't have a good excuse to not go.:excuseme:
  6. CKPC Husqvarna
    AA Class

My next trip here will be more then just a short stop for sure. The sheer amount of trails make this a place anyone that loves trail riding should check out! I would love to see the area after a rain.

As I am sure anyone that has been before will add if you go really make sure of your routes and have lots of water especially when it's warm. I found there were lots of trails that were not marked that crossed the marked trails and it would be very easy to get lost. My son was amazed that even being hot and dry there was no dust. The dirt/sand is such that it just does not kick up into dust, not used to that here in NORCAL.
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Woo hoo!!! :applause:

Nice report and riding pics! :thumbsup:

July does not seem like a good time of year for that place... a bit warm...
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Nice stuff, CKPC! :applause:

I love southern Utah, and there is indeed a ton of fun to be had there.
    I've ridden there in September in 95 degree heat and I've ridden there in April several times in a dusting of snow t's been spectacular every time!

You're right about the water...take twice as much as you think you'll need, and even then you'll probably run out before your ride ends.

You weren't too far from the Klondike Bluffs trail when you were there. It's pretty scenic and there are dinosaur tracks in the rock :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  9. mikewindspeed Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    Moab planned for October

This is great, the pics are amazing and comments from you'all are getting me all pumped for a planned one week trip the 1st week in Oct. Thank you very much for taking the time to post.
    I am meeting several riders from Northern-UT, Los Alamos-NM and Reno-NV to ride for the week; all of the out of state [UT] have already received their registration permits.
    I purchased an ATV trail guide and I have been studying it for the last month and have picked out a different trail to ride each day.
    If you have any recommendations relative to where to ride, preparedness, et al we would certainly appreciate your advice and recommendations.

Thank you ahead of time for your help

Mike - UT
    TE510
  10. CKPC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mike,

I was only there a couple days so my knowledge is limited. As for maps I used one put out by "latitude40maps" called Classic Moab Trails which I found very helpful. As I said in my first post I also went into Poison Spider bike shop which is just as you enter town. I knew from talking to lots of fellow mt. bikers that the shop is very helpful about where to ride. There is also a motorcycle shop at the other end of town, I think a Yamaha dealer, so I'm sure they might have good ideas as well.

Also look on TT as I found several good posts about where to ride in Moab. If your riding with a group you should be able to carry everything you could ever need where as I was with my teenage son so we were packed pretty heavy.

As for the bike besides just making sure it's ship shape, a trials tire is a huge plus, knobbies stick well on the rocks but a trials tire is so much better. If somebody has a GPS always nice to have along.

I'm sure you won't have the heat we had but I can't say it enough, have plenty of water!!!

A post I read before hand on TT-Don't mean to direct away from CafeHusky, but in this case I think out of safety reading as much about the area is a huge benefit. After a few more years we'll have the posts here to look up for all the areas so we'll never need to stray!!! :)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602028&highlight=moab

Anyone else feel free to chime in since my knowledge is limited..

Have fun and take tons of pics! And post them!!! :)
  11. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Slickrock Trail and Sovereign Trail are the only two trails that are only open to two wheelers, and are two must do's in my opinion. Brad.
  12. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Looks absolutly fantastic, pity I'm in Aussie. Glad the ride met with your expectations. Now be honest this was the real purpose of your visit and the family gathering was just a convienient ruse-right?
  13. mikewindspeed Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    Thanks CKPC and Bradass80 for your feedback and suggestions. I did purchase the Lattitude40 maps, they have been a great help - thanks!
    So far the Sovereign Trail and La Sal Pass are planned for the 1st several days, still deciding on the others to date with Poison Spider Mesa & Top of the World saved for the last several days...looking to gain some experience before we hit those two since they are rated more difficult.
    Since I only live about 6.5 hours away I will get there before the others and I will definitely hit the bike and motorcycle shop on Saturday morning. After talking to them the plans may change for the front of the trip but definitely will not leave without doing Poison Spider Mesa.
    Again, thank you for your insights and suggestions, very much appreciated!
    CKPC - I will definitely make sure we are very well hydrated! - thanks!

Wow, this is an amazing Web Site...should have been here long ago, beginning to believe I was the only Husky rider in UT...but not he case.
  14. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Poison Spider isn't that hard, it's like everything else in Moab, a few gnarly obstacles here an there with awesome views. The loop I would reccomend if you're going to do Poison Spider is Poison Spider, Gold Bar, Golden Spike. I'd personally rate all three trails about the same. Brad.
  15. mikewindspeed Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    Poison Spider...

Thanks Brad for your recommendation, we will definitely do those parts of the Poison Spider Mesa ride as well.
    I think we are pretty much ready to go this coming weekend, just need to load the bikes up and hit the road.
    Thanks again to everyone for your recommendations and pointers.

Mike
  16. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

Glad you could enjoy it. I hope I can get out there before the freakin' Feds close it up. Some idiot New York Congressman is trying to get it closed next week. HR-9125 is scheduled to be heard on Oct 1. If it passes, Moab is a goner. Write your Rep. NOW!

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=1344
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Could you start a thread with this also? So it gets the attention it deserves? It is a good thing to leave here too. :thumbsup: