1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Clutch drag

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Arkley123, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Arkley123 Husqvarna

I posted the below on a very long thread in the four stroke section called "clutch drag issues" as it seemed to cover the relevant topics but got no replys - maybe the thread was just too old so I've copied & pasted to here to see what fellow smokers think. Thanks in advance.....

My 05 WR250 has the same - when cold the drag is so bad I have to hold the brakes on when I put it in gear - even then sometimes it will then clunk to a stall. Once heated up it's fine - bit clunky neutral to first but acceptable. so.....
    wear grooves in the basket or buckled plates seems to be the answer based on posts to date. What does anyone else reckon - don't want to spend out on new plates if a simple file job will do. Always use good quality fully synth oil / changed regularly. All suggestions wellcome / ta
  2. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

You can often feel if the plates are warpped by the drag varying as the clutch spins. If the drag is constant then it's unlikely to be the plates. I guess you pulled the clutch apart to see what is wrong? A worn basket is easy to see, if it is that either file it or replace. The trouble with filing is that it often doesn't last very long and you will get more clutch rattle, but it is a cheap fix.
    You can also check how flat the plates are by laying them on a sheet of glass and checking for distortion. I assume you have already adjusted the cable and clutch pushrod properly?
  3. smoke229 Husqvarna
    A Class

IF your basket and inner look decent, try just taking all the plates out and putting them back in in a different order, sounds funny but several times ive gotten better performance doing that.
    Im betting its your basket and inner grooved up though.
  4. Arkley123 Husqvarna

Thanks for the comments - no haven't had it apart yet - just wanted some opinions as to what I might be looking for when I do & now i know. Will post back once done. Ta.
  5. B_M_F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR 450
    plz let us know my clutch also drags on my 08 sm 450 when cold i can barely move it in gear and motor off. and when im in gear stopped clutch in i rev and bike surges minimal but it does happen.....
  6. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Maybe you posted it in your other thread but, I would be suspicious of the type of oil.
    If not what are you useing for oil?
  7. B_M_F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR 450
    i am using 20 w 50 repsol changed ever 300 miles max sure its not an oil issue. there was a thread i cant find but someone mentioned adding washers to space the plates maybe this could help the op. i only stumbled on this thread when searching. the op of the other thread had a te 450 or 510 and did long endurance races very helpful thread if i could find it!!
  8. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    I had a similar problem on my 02 WR/CR 250, but not quite as bad. Mine seemed to do it coming up to a stop in first gear, also slow, braking going into corners using the rear brake. I changed from gear oil to Castrol Actevo like w10/40. Had the clutch apart to find everything ok. Clutch adjustment, internal and external to get it just right. I'm running it very tight, almost no slack at all. Also chain adjustment can play into the problem as well
  9. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb

normal for cold oil. esp on a two-stroke. warm the bike with the clutch pulled in to help free up plates faster- might or might not help first time you snick into gear, depends on ambient temp etc. if the basket fingers are notched enough to cause creep when hot replace it. i dont recomend filing baskets. some finger notching is ok on some models, depends on a lot of factors.