Clutch meltdown / explosion

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Hurky, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    Hi all,
    this sunday we were out for a ride and had some technical and long hills, one of my team-mates abused his clutch so hardly that the following happened, I couldn't trust me eyes when I saw that: :eek:

[IMG]
    A dark anodized Hinson hub ? No, it's the OEM one ...

[IMG]
    Ouch !

[IMG]
    The friction discs got so hot the the aluminium melted and the discs got disintegrated !

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    More 'oil' black anodized colour :P

[IMG]
    This is bad, the clutch basked has some bended tips :(

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Debris all over the place...

Well that happens if you don't listen an feel what is happening with your bike, he should have taken a break or two to let things cool down. Have you ever seen such a clutch disaster ? I haven't !

We are already ordering a new clutch basket and complete clutch kit with separators and springs.

I cleaned the debris the best I could taking only the clutch cover off, some little aluminium debris is still there.
    i had the idea of filling the engine with diesel and flushing it several times. (without running the engine of course).
    Do you think that would be a good or bad idea ? I think it cannot hurt, the bad thing is that some diesel will remain and mix with the oil so a very soon oil change would be recommended.

Regards.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yuck. When it starts slipping you need to stop.
  3. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    damn he smoked that sucker was it hard to get lite:lol::lol:
  4. Muchmore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW K1600GTL
    That is the darkest brake rotor I have ever seen :D Man there is a lot of debris.
  5. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Flush with diesel sounds okay. Put cheap oil in it and run it (no clutch plates of course) to clean, dump, repeat until it's clean AND doesn't smell like fuel. Install new clutch with good oil. I bet he'll never do that again. However you could probably skip the diesel and just run oil. Since you're not going to ride it you can use simple car oil. Whatever you do don't soak those new plates in diesel.
    Hurky likes this.
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Nothing personal, but that guy cannot ride any of my bikes ...

--
    Call it what you want to, but that is just extreme \ stress testing of a product ... If no data was recorded on the conditions of the testing, all that is as worthless as the parts that were toasted ...
    Dirtdame likes this.
  7. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    make him fix it . and buy him a 60 tooth rear sprocket while your at it
    troy deck and shawbagga like this.
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Did it run out of oil or was the oil level low? Wrong oil was used?

If the oil level was ok he over heated it really bad. Lucky it didn't flash?

When will the manufacturers get it right and seperate the engine oil from the tranny oil?
  9. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    Oil level was OK, not at 100% but OK, Iḿ sure some oil got burned into smoke ...

I flushed the engine several times with diesel fuel and some debris came out. Today I filled some engine oil and run it some minutes, so far it sounds healthy. Already flushed that cheap oil and now Iḿ waiting for the replacement parts that should arrive Monday :P

Greetz !
  10. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Does it have a oil cooler?

Did he use motorcycle oil or car engine oil?

The car and truck engine oil no longer has the wear additives in it for the motorcycle clutches. Sorry but I'm thinking about what caused this clutch to cook.
  11. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    Was using Castrol power1 racing 10W50 synthetic...

No extra oil cooler, the WR250F comes with that reservoir:
    [IMG]

I think the clutch plates were already weared and start to slip in that hill, He doesn't notice and continued to climb.....
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    He just cooked the slipping clutch till it cooked?

My first street bike was a 1980 Suzuki GS750L (I advertised in a bargain paper for a Suzuki ts 100/125/185) this guy calls me about this 750 and it runs? I bought it for $150. I was riding it and the clutch felt like it was slipping when I wicked it. After a few rides I burned a flat spot in the rear tire. The rear tire was spinning the whole time.
    That old 750 had tons of torque. It was like riding a Cadillac when compared to the ts bikes. With no computer aided design system (CAD) years ago the Japanese made everything over built. Now using the CAD system they build stuff on the hairy edge to the point it's just good enough to get by or is it? Where seeing more and more flaws in designs lately.

I'm sorry for the questions but after being an engineering lead tech for over 20 years I see stuff now from the engineering point of view, the mechanics point of view and the end user of the product the consumers point of view. I like to know why it broke first then we can fix it with confidence it won't happen again. I like to repair things once.