cold start issues

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by schweikert, Nov 7, 2010.

1. schweikert Husqvarna
    B Class

Hi out there! my 09 te450 wont start when it's cold, got the valves checked-all good. It starts fine when its warm. Any ideas?
    would be appreciated.
  2. Croc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Get it to R&D or trooper lus. Dick tells me its very boggy & that aint rite for a 450.It should be very aggressive & will probably help with your fuel consumption. I gave up on Richard with trying to organise a ride down here. He don't answer his phone. If you can organise a ride down here you could drop your bike off as well & get it fixed in about an hour.
  3. husky bom Husqvarna
    A Class

100% its the temp sensor my 09 te450 is up to its 3rd one now if under warranty ok or its only $35.00
  4. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    yes, first place I'd look is the coolant temp sensor.

will know real quick by hooking up to Ibeat...
  5. schweikert Husqvarna
    B Class

Hey Croc, yeah Richo is a shocker to get on the phone! he's been working a fair bit and going to drs too. We are trying to organise a watagains ride again in the near future. The only drama is organising the four of us with different teams and rosters.

Looking forward to catching up mate
  6. schweikert Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks guys it was the water temp sensor!
  7. trooperlu CH Sponsor

Guys a quick one on TE 450's. If they have been hard to start since new and it is an 09 or 2010 model. Many of the 450's were supplied with the kickstart autodecomp valve weight. This makes them very hard to start when cold off the starter as the weight is not enought to close off the valves as the engine fires. We now replace all of them as we sell them as they are litterally identical to look at but they are a different part number. It makes a massive difference to starting the bike. Took us ages to find it and it flared up as an error in parts labelling at the factory and was specific to TE450's 2009 and 2010. It can mask itself as other issues and you can kind of cover it up but when the right decomp weight goes in it is a big imporvement. just FYI
    Kreza likes this.
  8. neversurfaced Husqvarna
    AA Class

Was it a parts error for the auto decomp cam?

I'm on my 2nd one on my 08 TE450 and it only lasted a few rides. I need to use my manual decomp lever to start the bike. Between that and a bad temp sensor, my bike's battery is about done for!
  9. trooperlu CH Sponsor

A parts error on the can weight if this makes sense. It makes it really hard to start on the button. Try to kick start it. If it starts really easy on the kick, but hard on the button it means it has the TC cam weight. We now replace every single one on pre delivery as we believe all of the TE 450's (2010) where wrong. I have not sold one that was right yet. Evey says it is how they are. When we replace the weight they are fine. The issue is you need a press and it is a bit of a tricky job as you have to press the bearing off the cam. Feel free to call the shop and discuss with myself or one of the mechanics. If you get stuck you can send the cam to us and we can change it for you.
  10. neversurfaced Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not 100% sure if we're talking about the same part or not.

Here is a picture I stole from another Cafe Husky member's site of the decomp cam I'm talking about:

[IMG]

and the thread I stated awhile ago that addresses the issues a few of us have had:

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876

I replaced the cam once (just used a puller for the bearing so I was able to do it myself - but thanks for the offer) :thumbsup: but it only lasted for a few rides before it failed once again.

Without the decompression, I cannot kick start or use the button without using the manual decompression lever. That and this new cold-starting issue problem I'm having (bad temp sensor perhaps) and my bike is almost impossible to start.

If it is a parts problem and I've replaced the wrong cam with another wrong cam, that would explain the failures... :excuseme:

EDIT: Is this the part you are referring to?
  11. trooperlu CH Sponsor

Visually we cannot tell the differences between the two. But it 100% makes a difference. We did 2 yesterday and it is day and night. In saying that we are also doing a temp sensor on the same bike!! The part you show is the right part as such. But whether it is the kick or electric start one I cant tell. You just need to order the correct one and know it is right then put it in. Good move with the bearing puller that is a great way to go. IF it gets curly for you and you cant sort just call and I can try to bounce some ideas around with you no worries. Crap time of year so I may be hard to get but still the offer is there. You may have just replaced one bad cam with another. On the bike we are doing now the TPS was also out dramatically. This really effects start up issues so make sure it is set correctly. Best thing htere is to get your local shop to do it. We can do it and R & D at Emu Planes are very good and they can do it. As for out of Sydney no real advice sorry. If you call PFG they will refer you to someone locally who they know has good diagnostic skills.
  12. neversurfaced Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good man - thanks for the info. I'm going to make a couple of calls on my end (I'm in Los Angeles by the way) and probably just bite the bullet on this one. As much as I hate to take it in, without the proper diagnostic tools that may be the only way to go. Thanks for all the info -

Chad
  13. trooperlu CH Sponsor

not a prob mate any time. j
  14. Kreza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 KX80 2013 TM85
    Might be a bit late to add, my '10 TE450 was difficult to start cold, dealer said it was the auto decompressor, now no problems starting from cold or hot.