1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Cold Start method ? why?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by pollolittle, Nov 17, 2010.

1. pollolittle Husqvarna
    AA Class

The other day it got down to around low 40's, high 30's fahrenheit. I kicked like a raging mule for about 20 plus kicks. Never could get the 2000 WR 360 to get "fire in the hole"! I called the trusty dealer he informed me that the cold start method is to lean it over on the left side until fuel runs out of the overflow. Stand it up and walla it should magically start. I grumbled a wee bit about it, called bs, and a few other names. Well, I couldn't get the procedure out of my head and waited until it got back down in to the low 40's. Went out and tried to start the way I had done it before with just the choke on, half throttle and kick, kick, kick, cuss, kick, etc. repeat until done laughing.

So, then, I go and lean it over until fuel starts flowing out, stand it up, kick one seems to grumble like normal. Kick two, make sure half throttle and Zing da da ding ding, commenced a cussing and wondering why in the world does it work like this.

So, anybody care to speculate on why this behavior to get it started works like this. I'm at a lost.
  2. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Years ago the old carbs(bings..Amal's) had "ticklers" and you squeezed them to introduce some raw fuel in the inlet tract....

I think when you tip it over you basically achieve the same concept...:excuseme:
  3. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Bloody hell...-1.1C and starting a two stroke....apply a blow torch to the barrel and plug :)

Maybe look at a decomp head for easier starting?

My std method of starting a Wr360:
    -Twist the throttle once
    - Choke on
    - One full slow kick (just to cycle through to comp stroke)
    - At the top of the compression stroke, very slight kick (you'll hear a familiar rattle)
    - After that slight kick, let the lever return to the top and then a full kick with a slight twist of the throttle.
    It takes me around 2-3 kicks to start her after the bike not being started in 3mths (thats without a fresh plug or fuel!)
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    oh school method and i still use it all the time. puts fresh gas in the carb and leaks some into the intake letting it get a gulp of gas. Works great. I do it a lot when the bike is cold.
  5. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

With the KX250 I had to go a step richer on the pilot jet to get it to start easier in the cold. With the WR144 I've had to close up the air screw a half turn to get to crank up at 45 F. It is borderline though and I might have to change the pilot jet.
  6. gem Husqvarna
    A Class

+1

2 strokes like to be rich on cold start. Works on all 2 stroke engines.
  7. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

:thumbsup: WHO SAID "OLD SCHOOL" ???????????? Still works doesn't it :doh:
  8. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    LoL@Vinduro

I'm going to bloody video the starting method one day cos there's none on youtube.

PS Pollolittle, you should try kicking a Maico490 left kicker, YZ/IT490 and any 500cc :rant:
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Left footers are fine. I have had...

93 TC610
    CR480 honda
    ATK 406
    WR400 husky

No issues, left leg works just like the right :D
  10. pollolittle Husqvarna
    AA Class

thanks for the replies, very interesting info, that's for sure. I was just wondering if it was a workaround by laying it over or was it a setting to adjust or clean somewhere in the carb. It is mindboggling, how leaning it over makes it work.

Years ago, I had the pleasure of trying to crank old dirtbikes sitting up under the edge of a shed out in the weather. Kick, Kick, kick, kick, etc., No start. Then, the usual, hook it to something or push and push and push. Somehow miraculously the thing would eventually start, but you had to WORK at it.

"At the top of the compression stroke, very slight kick (you'll hear a familiar rattle)" Not sure what the familiar rattle is?

At idle I seem to have ding, ding, ding sound coming out of the motor. Not a high pitched sound like bare metal on metal, just a noise. Maybe it's a noise without the "ing". Sounds like something steadily pinging away. Rev it up, still noise just faster. Never heard this motor before, so not really sure of all the noises it is supposed to. Do these motors sound smooth, like Honda 300 smooth, with just more attitude? Or are they just kinda noisy? I don't have one to compare to, so I get to ask just by making sounds and then typing them on the keyboard.
  11. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    LOL... time a video l feel.. l'll find a some time to cam me and try and get that noticeable sound for ya.

I'll title it on youtube "Wr360 - starting the farker up" :)

The 360 takes a bit to warm up and not high pitched like a 250 or even a 300 when cold.
  12. pollolittle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks, I'll be waiting for the starting Video. Rode again yesterday, that thing still pulls like a freight train on crack.