1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Cold weather engine protection running a lectron?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Chums, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account
    Just wondering if anyone has tips to protecting your motor from a cold seize? I'm set up to ride the ice but only have maybe three hours on the motor. I run a lectron so jetting should be OK I assume but I'm guessing there is a temp that is even to cold for the fuel rod to deal with??? Anyone know what that temp might be?
    Has anyone put something in front of the radiator to block cold air and allow the engine to run warmer?
    I don't run a thermostat....thanks for any advice!
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I cant really help you here other than to let you know these are very popular carbs for snowmobiles as they do well with altitude compensating. Maybe call Kevin at Lectron and ask, he is very nice and helpful. All that said I had mine stick wide open on me last ride. I guess it is not a good idea to wash your bike then ride it in 21 degrees :D
  3. Palito Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300, 1986 430AE Auto
    Other Motorcycles:
    1989 DR600
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Buddy and I went riding in 21 degrees the other day. his engine temp gauge would not get above 83 unless he was pinned for a long time then 97. Might be a good idea to install a thermostat if you ride in cold temps.
  5. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Having my carb freeze wide open might be the only way I can keep up with some of these ice racing guys lol. A buddy did say they run card board in front of the radiators so that may help engine temps stay up then.
    I know in my previous life as s snowmobiler we only got worried about carbs freezing when the temps were just below freezing something to do with moisture and condensation then freezing. Maybe that temp range was more ideal for creating frost can't remember. In any case I'm gonna give it a whirl this weekend!
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Which bike are you going to run?
  7. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I pick up your 165 magic machine on Saturday but can't break it in with 20° temps and feel OK about it so I'll be taking the 300..and waiting patiently to pull some wheelies on the WB!

Attached Files:

8. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Running 1000 screws....

Attached Files:

GusG likes this.
  9. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

it has to do with the dew point and the flow on the negative side of the slide
  10. Treesmacker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 CR150 "Woods set-up"
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ125
    In snowy Minnesota we use a old inner tube or similar flexible mat'l to basicly wrap around the carb in order to keep the heat in and the snow off!
    jmetteer likes this.
  11. Hoov165x Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The Latest: 2014 FE250
    Here is what you need: carb.jpg
    Rotax 600 with heated carbs. Carbs are TM rack style carbs though. Coolant runs through the carb body to keep bad things from happening.....
  12. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    So ran the lectron today at 12° F, was a little nervous so I pulled the plug after a little riding and it was golden brown!!! Woo hoo! Ran flawlessly all day! I did install 3/4 length radiator covers and let everything get warm before riding the lake. Everything went great!

Had to leave myself a reminder on my radiator covers lol....

Attached Files:

Motosportz likes this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  14. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Another thing to mention is that when the weather was warmer the bike never spooged oil when I rode the other day in 12 degree temps it had tons of drool out the muffler. I can only imagine the pipe couldnt get hot enough to burn up the excess oil but just goes to show I dont think the Carb has everything to do with the spooge.
    Motosportz likes this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Exactly what is happening. Guys that ride MX never have spooge issues. Woods riders always do as they are off the throttle for long lengths of time.