1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Considering a WR300 but I have questions...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by giantjoe, Oct 1, 2011.

1. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    So I'm moving off a DR-Z400 because, well, it's heavy. All my peers feel a KTM is the answer for me, but I usually go against the grain, so no orange for me. The huskys look hot! It also seems they have a larger cockpit, which is important to me. Down to the questions...

1. Can I get an extended shift lever for it? Size 15 boots don't work too well with most standard shifters.
    2. I don't know much about 2 strokes, but I have heard that KTMs have "adjustable power reeds". I think that's the name of them. Since I'm coming off a two stroke, I'd like the power to come on as smoothly as possible, so do Huskys have them as well?
  2. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The short shifter really bugs me too. The real problem occurs when I'm in 1st gear and have to preload and then clutch/throttle to jump over a creek or log. Even though I slide my left foot way back on the peg sometimes the toe of my boot just ticks the shifter and instead of launching over what ever it is I hit neutral and usually end up in a really unwanted position (like over the bars). I've geared my WR250 down to 13:53 so I can use 2nd more in the tight stuff so now I have a 4 speed with a bail out 1st. If you find a longer shifter I'd like to know about it.
  3. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Bigfoot (just joke)

Welcome to the animal kingdom. No, really, welcome! The 300 is an animal. Has nice smooth torque up thru gears. You can get an adjustable power valve from italy, but think it is expensive. You can drop compression some by using thicker oem base gaskets, to tone it more mellow. You also can change your gearing. If you want to go the other way, pwk carb adds torque based on needles or can get head cut. You can also mellow it out with Pwk needles the other way. Pwk is probably a must up in your elevations and changing ones.

I just got done dropping my compression/porting/carb/ez pull clutch mod change in my 250 and the thing rails and picked up better powerband and speed!

For shifter, a lot guys use Hammerhead Designs shifter tips that are offset up to think 20mm?

I am sure guys like PC and them will chime in as well!

Now that we took your objections away, go get the Husky and this is the best site on planet!

Welcome to Cafe Husky!
  4. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Will the hammerhead shifter tip fit other shifters because their website doesn't list a shifter for a Husky? http://www.hdmoto.com/
  5. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just saw one on a Husky about month ago on the starting line and it was extended. Rider told me that's where he got it. You might have to send them your shifter to match one up?
  6. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I was thinking of buying a Driven shifter and trying to put a Hammerhead tip on it. That's how desperate I've become. lol
  7. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Be a good thread topic!
  8. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    First trick is to flip the peg mounts which will create a bit more space between peg and shifter. Motosportz is one source of another shifter. I am a big guy and the roominess compared to my brothers KTM is something I really like. Power is strong but quite controllable so I recommend riding before getting too concerned about engine related mods. I run the stock Mikuni with RB-Designs carb work and it runs nice and crisp.
  9. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I wear size 14 boots and bought Fastway pegs and put them in the down and back position to gain room. Doing that gained some space but I'm still looking for more room and I'm only a 14.

oregonsage, I'm glad the hear about your RB-Designs carb working out. I have got my stock Mikuni working pretty good but I was considering sending it to RB if for no other reason than to pick up a little efficiency from the divider plate.
  10. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    ...ONLY a 14 :-) Im a 10 and putting the pegs down and back actually makes it hard for me to reach the shifter
  11. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Ha Ha, well Giant Joe the originator of this thread wears a 15 so I thought I could get away with "Only". I have to put the ball of my foot on the peg to keep from up shifting on a step up or a preload before a jump.

People say they wish they were tall but it has it's own set of problems.
  12. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Thanks, you did alleviate the concerns. I'm 50/50 on a 2010 WR300 (old stock) or a 2011 'Berg FE390. It's a 4stroke vs 2stroke argument in my head now. Anybody riding with a Reckluse?
  13. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Additionally, about the finicky carb... I ride in the mountains, 3500-6000 ft from staging to tops. Is one needle setup gonna work here? That Kamloops fella, should be able to relate. I'm in Calgary.
  14. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Go for the 2 stroke. I have an 09 and this thing handles like you wouldn't believe in the woods. I ride at altitude as well. Stage starts at 4000ft for me and goes up to 11000 in some spots. Even with that huge range, the needle itself is fine, once you get it dialed in. I DID swap carbs. First because the stock was real finicky and I don't like messing with stuff ON the ride. Second, because my YZ250 has the same carb and I was real familiar with it. And it is a great carb.
    I can honestly tell you that this is the best handling bike on singletrack that I have ever ridden. You will really like it if you end up with it.
  15. haulin husky7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 txc310, 2000 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 TM 300en, 93 KLX650R, 1975 XR75
    My dad had a drz400e and I bought a 2000 wr 250 after riding the wr he went and bought a cr250 husky he liked riding the 2 stroke huskies that much, and he has always been a 4 stroke guy. (I wish Suzuki would put the drz motor on a rmz frame the drz motors rule)
  16. 2wheelsonly Husqvarna
    C Class

I went from a DRZ to a 300. I was worried about the 2-stroke being too snappy in the tight stuff, but found out it is very controlable. The rocks are much easier to handle with a lighter bike.
  17. Anthony_1978 Husqvarna
    AA Class

ive got a FE450 and a Husky WR250
    they are two different beasts. the husaberg is great for open trails, thats where the 250 hates transport sections. the nastier the terrain is where the husky shines, super nimble, pick-upable and heaps of power. the husaberg is pretty heavy to lift from the rear.
  18. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    I've also found the Berg to be heavy from the rear. (in the showroom) I'm feeling the lightness of the Husky both on the trail and in the wallet!
  19. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    I would add that if you want to cross shop 4 strokes then take a look at at TE/TXC511. Its pretty dang nimble for a big bore and I actually prefer it over my WR300 almost anywhere.
  20. Anthony_1978 Husqvarna
    AA Class

took me and a mate an hour to get my berg out of this bog hole. thats when i realised it was too heavy at the rear :(

Attached Files: