1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Countershaft play and seal

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by rockdancer, Feb 19, 2013.

1. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Guys. I've just found some fresh oil has come out from what looks like the seal around the countershaft
    The sprocket clip was missing as well so it was lucky it didn't come off!
    Does this mean the seal just needs replacing. Any tips on removing seal?
    Is it normal for the shaft to have a small amount of play in and out?
    Also time to replace wobbly gear lever!
    Cheers
  2. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    replace the seal just pry it out, probably got some dirt under the lip, transeals or similar will have stock, warm it in hot water to make install easier.
    you will have some side ways movement but not up down,
  3. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    A bit side movement is standard and not to be worried about

small leakage of oil could be as there might be some wear grooves in the spacer around the shaft (mostly seen on older engines) or a dried out /cracked seal you can just peel it out and replace with a new one (inexpensive to change)

I ended op to lathe a new spacer ring when I overhauled the engine (grooved)

Robert-Jan
  4. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    thanks guys
    I thought it may be a big issue when I saw it .
    Its strange I cleaned it all up with the sprocket off and cant get much or oil to come out now but there was quite a puddle on floor. it wasnt from chain .
    I will get a seal
  5. bdl507 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    99 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    rd350 dr650 tt500 pe250 hondas lots
    The seal is probably fine if there was no clip it would leak if its like every other dirt bike ( haven't looked at this seal or even ridden my new 125 yet) it has a oring behind the bushing and without pressure from the clip it will leak like crazy and even more when on a side stand
    rockdancer likes this.
  6. Down Under XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    XC250 83', WR250 87','XC150 10
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR165 10, 83 KDX 250,
    Hi, noted your comment on the loose gear lever. I noticed same with ours and ring spanner / socket just doesn't cut it for tightening gear lever. Switched to a set (allen) bolt and problem fixed. My 2 cents worth.
  7. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    since it was free to wobble, replace everything on that shaft. get a seal puller, they are cool, cheap too, remove the collar then the seal. be careful not to gouge the seal boss. if yer super careful they schloooop! right out w/o any drama, if its sticky work it from opposite sides to get an even draw on it. . they slip back in super easy so dont go too nutso with the make-shift seal driver....RD, you can do eeeeet!
  8. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Yes this a good option but I think the original gear stick is cactus - Ive got a super small socket wrench that allows me to tighten it . Its fine until you ride it and it loosens
    Love your descriptions PV - I am waiting to see if it leaks again with new clip - thanks for advice
    They wanted to charge $30 for a seal - $6 for a washer! which wasnt on there before
    I should have just bought one but I went cheap and got 4 for $5 at an Autoshop but they seem to be too thick!
    Weve had about 6 weeks of rains so - I just wanna ride
  9. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    oi! forgot about them prices down there....jeebus! check the collar for a groove or scoring from the lip seal, shouldnt be one should be smooth. if the washer aint a whole lot thicker, tape some 60gr sandpaper on a pane of glass. figure 8 it. do it having a few cold ones in front of the tube. or take it back and spend an extra buck ya cheapo! o-ring should be cheap enough. try n match that seal up with a ditch pump motor front crank seal. yous is outback aintcha mate? you should have have gobs of them around! weeeeeee! baaaroop!