1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Countershaft seal

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by I8AKTM, Oct 5, 2008.

1. I8AKTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Anyone have issues with a leaky countershaft seal?

Did an enduro today, was doing pretty good until I bounced off two trees and went flying a ways...lost all my mojo after that. :cripple: So loading up I noticed oil seeping down the case under the CS...too beat up and tired tonight investigate further. Might get around to taking a look tomorrow, but thinking it really shouldn't be much else...

only 31 hours now on the TXC, if that means anything....I assume it's a relatively easy one to pull out of there and replace? :excuseme:
  2. tadgh Husqvarna
    A Class

check first that its not coming out of the clutch slave. shouldnt be the CS at this early stage.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Same issue here with my TXC450. It's typically the o-ring behind the sleeve / collar. Simple fix. Take the CS sprocket off, slide the collar on the output shaft off the shaft and the o-ring is on the back end of that collar. Throw a new o-ring on there and slap it back together. KTM's seem to have this same issue.
  4. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

replace the O ring with an X ring. Uptite has them. :thumbsup:

check that you dont have too much oil in the little resevoir on the handlbars--to much oil = too much pressure, and remember that oil heats up and expands, since the slave is bolted to the engine (thats the design flaw, imho)

KTM rally bikes have a much larger resevoir at the handlebar to handle the expansion. Just another idea.

Kelley--machine a 1/2" spacer to fit between the resevoir and the cover? Anodize it red. :)
  5. I8AKTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the replies- hopefully tomorrow I can get out there and find the cause of the leak...either way, looks like an o-ring swap will take care of it, which is good news...I've broken enough more expensive stuff lately.

paul