1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc CR 125 compared to KTM 150 and YZ 125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mutley531, Mar 22, 2012.

1. mutley531 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None - CR 125 in my future?
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Yamaha YZ450F
    I am considering buying a small bore 2-stroke as a MX track practice bike. I currently ride a 2010 YZ450F, which I am happy with. My brother has picked up a 2005 YZ125 and put an Athena 144 kit on it. It is a blast to ride on the track. I am not looking to replace my 450, but add another bike for more fun. Does anyone have any personal comparison of the CR 125 (with and without the 144 kit) compared to either the KTM 150 SX or YZ 125 (with and/or without the 144 kit)? I am considering getting a new Husqvarna CR 125 (with included 144 kit), a new KTM 150 SX, or a new or used YZ 125 (2006-2012).

I'm wondering how the power compares, along with suspension and general handling. Back in '01, I had a Kawasaki KX 125 and my brother had a Husky CR 125. His bike would eat mine for lunch. I know the KTM is the easy choice for me, but the Husky is tempting just to be a little different. The Yamaha would also be an easy choice based on the excellent suspension components and availability of parts. FYI, I am a 34 yr old professional practice rider. That is, I do not race much, but put in many laps at the local MX tracks.
  2. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Howdy,

There are several thread that compare the bikes listed in the 2-stroke forum. I don't have any personal experience on the other bikes, but I LOVE my wr125, soon to be a big-bore 165cc kit made by one of the members on this site "WallyBean". Look around a bit if you haven't and you'll see just how much is possible with these little bikes.
  3. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    None of the choices would be a bad one however I think most on here will be a bit biased towards the CR. This of course includes myself! Resale on most 125's will be harder than most big bikes. Looking at the response to the WB165 on here I think you would do really well selling a CR if you needed / wanted to. I have ridden a KTM 125 and a CR 125 but not a YZ125. Both the KTM and the CR have strong motors. You have ridden the YZ and seemed to like it. If money is an issue I think your best bet would be the CR. One can be picked up for a really good price (ie cheap!) and you get both the 125 and the 144. The CR is a reliable bike which has a strong motor, great suspension, awsome handling, and you will be without a doubt different. I have heard of issues with some KTM motors and no issues with the YZ's. Also think of parts availability although most Husky parts can be had within a day or three. Just my thoughts.
  4. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Our '11 CR 150 routinely peels the paint off YZ's and KTM's in the 2 stroke class. We've owned 2 KTM 144/150's in the past 3 years and keep coming back to the Husky for the stronger motor and better handling. The YZ's are dinosaurs with outdated everything. The early KTM 144/150's were/are hand grenades with LOTS of horror stories about melted top ends (Do a search on KTM talk). Our CR is so strong we only enter 250F and unlimited class races anymore.
    john01, 454x, lankydoug and 1 other person like this.
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My 08 CR 125 is now a WB165 but in stock 125 trim it was IMHO hands down a better bike than the YZ125. Power, handling, breaking, and ergos are all a step above the YZ. I have never ridden the small KTM's but I trust Krieg (above post) on the KTM feedback. Heck for that matter all bikes LOL he's owned them all at one time or another.
  6. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    You should buy Kriegs CR150. He has it for sale at a steal and it is basically brand new. Check the classified section! I highly doubt you would ever regret buying that bike!
  7. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

They are all good but you're on a Husky site so what do you expect the prevailing opinion to be? lol
    I have a '12 KTM 125SX & a '12 KTM 150XC and also a '12 Husky WR125 & a '10 Husky CR125....They are all good and I rode a '12 KTM 150SX and it was awesome! In fact I liked it so much that I'm currently waiting on my dealer to get one in so I can add it to the stable....I've ridden a bunch of aluminum framed YZ125s and I like everything about them but I just can't get along with the way YZs turn or should I say for my tastes the lack of the way they turn....but if you get along with them by all means give the YZ a good look as it's got a great engine and is a solid bike...
    The reality is that what you're after offers lots of great choices and there really isn't a bad choice in the bunch but for my tastes I'm really digging the new '12 KTM tiddler offerings!
    Good luck with your choice and have fun!
  8. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Hopefully, KTM has finally gotten the 150 piston melting issue resolved. I gave them 2 years between model years and they were STILL grenading. I'm done with KTM no matter how good others think they are. Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice....
  9. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well I have a couple of friends who are very fast and really put their bikes thru the ringer and they have an '11 and 2 have '12 150SXs and they've logged quite a few hours on them and they haven't missed a beat and 2 KTM dealers(who are friends btw) have sold their share of 150s and since late '10 early '11 and they've had no grenades as you say so you want to rethink your position on that whole KTM 150 grenade scenario....Also my '12 150XC has a few hours on it now and it's run flawless though mind you I'm not as fast as my buddies I mentioned with the 150SXs...
    Just giving real world feedback so don't shoot me.... :oldman:
  10. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Our last KTM 150 was an early '10. I bought it with confindence that they had solved the grenade issues. We raced 1/2 season without an issue... until I witnessed another '10 KTM 150 owner face planting in a race due to the melting piston issue. That was enough for me. I'm overjoyed they got things worked out for the '11 and later models. They really are decent bikes. But the 144/150's started in '07. It's PATHETIC that KTM took 4 years to solve a well documented, potentially dangerous issue with ANY bike. Do a search on KTM talk about the 150's. Unless they deleted the VOLUMES of complaints... it should be pretty clear. Just giving real world experience so don't shoot me. :oldman:
  11. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Well, we can be sure that it happened at least once!:rolleyes:
    [IMG]
  12. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    LOL! I'm sure that's just anti-KTM propaganda! :lol:
  13. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm just giving feedback as the original poster was asking for so he can take it for what it's worth....Oh and btw that pic is of a KTM 125SX not a 150 fyi as it's made the rounds of web sites prior to this.....Should we dig up the pic of the 2010 Husky CR125 that broke in half in europe that's made the rounds on the net also or how about my '09 Husqvarna CR125 that was recalled and replaced as the frame was prone to snapping at the headstay...
    I'm done with this so good on ya you win :notworthy:
    sabortooth likes this.
  14. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I'm positive that there is a picture of a Husqvarna posted on this very forum that looks almost identical to that picture of the KTM.:D
  15. mutley531 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None - CR 125 in my future?
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Yamaha YZ450F
    Thanks for all of the feedback so far. I'm sure every bike has it's occasional problems. It seems to me that the YZ would be the safest bet (reliable motor, excellent suspension components with easy/available valving options, highest availability-at least used), the KTM seems like it has had it's share or motor issues which have apparently been resolved (if buying new, used may be risky), and the Husky sounds like a great bike. I suppose I should first decide if I want to buy new or used. I have no problem spending the money for a new bike, but they all seem to be low supply/high demand in my area.

Continued feedback will be greatly appreciated as I consider this purchase. I would be interested in Krieg's bike, but North Carolina is way too far for me to travel (from Utah). The used YZ market is lacking here right now, but I have found a new 2011 YZ for $5000 (Las Vegas) and a new 2012 KTM 150 sx for retail (Rock Springs Wyoming). I need to call the only Husky dealer in Utah to see if they still have a CR 125 and what price they are asking.
  16. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    DON'T get me started on the KTM Frame problems.....

[IMG]
    pvduke, bbc, Gotlabs and 1 other person like this.
  17. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:

I would try a different dealer if you don't find one locally at a good bargain. Maybe one not so local if considering new. Bill's Husky in Salem (also a sponsor on this site) ships bikes REAL cheap, and sells them at a great bargain as well. If I were in your shoes, and considering new, I would pick up a new (left over) 2011 cr/wr 125 with the free 144 top end kit. I would ship either the 125, or 144 off to Walt/Motosportz, and get a 165 kit.

2011 150 from bills is $5295, plus a few hundred shipping, plus a 165 kit, you roughly around 6,200, and have two brand new top ends, with one that will blow the freaking doors off those other bikes....

Then again, you are on a husky forum!!! Good luck, and even if you go the other way, keep us updated to your choice!! :thumbsup:
    Gotlabs, lankydoug and Dirtdame like this.
  18. Mic Mac Husqvarna
    C Class

Hey Guys, I had an 09 150sx and it caught the exhaust port 2x and I got rid of it. It was really too bad because I loved that bike, it was easily the most fun bike I have EVER ridden. I just couldn't deal with it grenading on me. That's why I signed up on CH, just to see how the other 150 is holding up. I have a 250sx now but I would love to have a 150 again........
  19. racerjake549 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR125, TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    nighthawk 700s, 2x Piranha 190 pits.
    Going back to the original question. We currently have a 2012 cr125 and a SUPER nice 2005 yz125. And have owned ktm 125. All 3 were and have been great bikes. The cr is not quite as quick as yz but yz is not even stock. The ktm blow up picture is crazy! But it can happen. We have scattered our yz's multiple times. Sometimes it just happens.
    So far the new cr125 has been a great bike. Rear suspension is a little finicky to get set up but it works. If you haven't pulled the trigger on a new bike yet I would give the cr125 a shot.
  20. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    PSSSSST.......WB165 !:banana: