1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc CR Ignition Resitance

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by AUSKY, Aug 13, 2012.

1. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Can anyone out there with a CR125/250 do me a huge favour & test their igniton for me & tell me the resistance between the red/black & red/white wires coming from the stator.
    Regards
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

You should have between 23 and 28 ohms.
  3. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Thanks Wal, your a legend.
    I have 20 ohms so its pretty close.
    I wonder what sort of resistance variation there is between stators?
    Does any one else have a reading?
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I have tested quite a few 125 cr exciter coils and haven't had one yet below ~22 ohms. 20 seems light and you could have a problem generating a low rpm spark with that little effecive windings. It is very possible you have a short across some of the windings. When I have re-wound exciters I usually end up with 26-27 ohms. I am adding about 10% more windings on each pole and it is giving me a nice healthy spark at kick over rpms. I will see if I can find an "official" resistance value for you.
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Are you testing a CR250 ignition? They are different.
  6. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    It's a 1999 CR125 stator

Thanks again Wal,

I'd like to compare it to what we have.

I have been playing around installing the CR igniton conversion in my 95 WR125
    I have a complete 1999 CR 125 ignition, unfortunately the exciter coil on the stator was shot.
    I've had experience rewinding motors many many moons ago, so I decided to give it a go & rewind it.
    I had no idea of the resistance value so I set about it the old school way.
    (This is about the time I should have posted this thread, not after I rewound it:D )

I cut & counted the windings around the posts, 420 turns x 0.25 mm (32AWG)I sourced some enamelled wire, the closest size I could get to the original windings. 0.26mm (31AWG) was all that was available. I hand wound 420 coils wound on both posts, then tested & found 20.5 ohms,epoxied it up, baked it, then soldered it all together then installed it & it runs.

I think the change in diameter of the wire may be responsible for lower resistance, I doubt it if I could have wound much more onto the posts with this size wire. Using a smaller gauge wire would allow me to get the extra 10% or so more windings you speak of onto the posts comfortably to bring the resistance up to 25ish ohms
    So who knows :excuseme: we will see how it goes.

Next to wind the lighting coils on as well. Any ideas on that one mate?