1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc CR lighting coils

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by MOTORHEAD, Oct 27, 2013.

1. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I just set up a DC lighting system on my WR, so I had to remove the CR ignition and go back to the WR unit to get the lighting coil.

Problem is my bike does not run as well as it did with the CR unit, so the ultimate set up would be to have a lighting coil on the CR unit.

Anybody know of a lighting coil for the 2002 CR stator ?
  2. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    use batterys you will more than likley toast your cr stator within the first 4 rides.

adjust your ignition timing on the wr a little move makes a big differance imo
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    So you've advanced the stator with good results?
  4. uranys Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00 wr360/02 wr360/09 wr125/09 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 xr600r
  5. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    ive had my bike running like a bag of nails boardering on detonation, thought it was carb issues. long story short it was the stator too far retarded, it the 360 now has a better top end than i purchased her with and a midrange that pulls my arms off. lowend im thinking may be carb as fowls a plug every now and then but at low throttle openings.

just saying make sure the ignition is spot on it makes a big difference
  6. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I'm definitely not retarded. On my timing anyway. :lol:
  7. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
  8. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Is it a 250 or 125 On my CR 125 I had the stock stator rewound by Ricky Stator cost 100 dollars Did it back in like 2008 have had zero problems since. The stator now puts out 36 watts I run a led light that pulls 26 I then added a battery in the air box cost for stock husky batt box 6 dollars now when I let off the gas the batt kicks in and the light stays bright done a few desert races this way no problem If it is a 250 well then will have to look into it

BUT I can tell you a CR electronics on a WR 250 or 300 makes the bike so much better as you already stated I have the set up on my 300
  9. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    is it just the ignition box you swap or flywheel etc also? be tough to find a CR ignition nowadays wouldnt it? what sort of cost would one be looking at?
  10. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    It's a 250.
  11. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    It's all of it. Stator, flywheel and CDI box. If you can find one on ebay your talking about $350, or so. New, if you can still get them, about $800. A JD racing CDI box, if you can still get them, are about $400.

But, they make a huge difference how the bike runs. Much more snap and from the mid up there is no comparison. Rev's out so much harder. Feels like 3 to 5 HP.
  12. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    I've been thinking about the same thing. What is the 2002 CR 250 ignition? Is it a 2k2 kokuson? Trail tech makes 100 watt stator kits ac and dc for KTM's. I'm sure if you can adapt one for a 125 we can do it for the 250 / 300 too and have the 2 curve cdi.
  13. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Changing coils on the stator is one thing, switching the CDI unit is another.

It would have to be something that had a stator coil arrangement similar to what's on there, like the 125 swap. Where the trigger is in the same orientation as the one that's on there.

Swapping the CDI box could be a real nightmare. Odds are that since both motors run the same bore and stroke, and similar port timing, the advance curve would work, but the flywheel spins the opposite direction. Finding the firing point might be a chore.

Then there's the flywheel itself. Will in fit the shaft and is the trigging point in the right spot, and the right length ?

It's like a 2001 and 2002 Husky CR250 ignition. The stator coils are the same. The trigger is the same. The flywheel looks the same, but the trigger is like 4mm longer on the 2002 wheel and the CDI units are totally different. The 2002 has the more desirable one.

I took a 2001 flywheel and stator with backing plate, installed a plug from a KX250 on the Husky wires, so I could run a 2002 CDI unit. Namely the JD racing programmable unit with dual curves. Everything worked, but the timing was way off and I couldn't get it to come in line.

So, I got a 2002 flywheel with the longer trigger point and presto! Everything came right in line.

With that, I would consider a coil swap like the 125, but that would be it. I'm getting old and may not live long enough to sort another total ignition swap out.
  14. uranys Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00 wr360/02 wr360/09 wr125/09 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 xr600r
    Whoops! Didn't realize you were talking about a 250.

I'm going to try winding my cr125 stator a shot. I rewound my 610 stator and it worked. Just need to figure out what gauge wire to use and how many turns to get on each pole. I don't intend to ride at night, just need the lights to work decent enough to keep law enforcement from bothering me. I'll post a thread about it when I get around to doing it.
  15. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

A 125 stator has like 6 poles of which only 3 are being used in stock form there are 3 empty poles Ricky Stator winds up the 3 empty one which run the lights they are a compltly different system then the one that run the motor So it has no effect on the motor
  16. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I just got super lucky Jeff Hall had a brand new still in the box 2002 CR stator and Flywheel then Jeff Hall
    had a Fast By Ferricci electric box with a dual program switch on it So now I got a Complet CR system with 2 setting with the button on the handle bars The change is worth it as most of you guys who changed your WR125 to a CR Never heard of anyone who went from Wr to CR complain
    juicypips likes this.
  17. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yes, you are lucky.
  18. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Hey ajaxauto, tell them to send you the rubber band and mounting plate from an '08 125, so you can mount the JD Racing CDI box. It will save you a lot of hassle.
  19. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I'm finding hard to believe that I've had to drop my main jet 3 size to get my bike to clean up on top, from where I was with the CR ignition, after going back to the WR ignition. And it still doesn't pull out nearly as hard on top as it did with the CR ignition. These WR ignitions just aren't nearly what the CR's are.

I wonder how much power it's giving up?
  20. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    i would like to try cr ignition on the 360 as the motor is a tractor low down grunt not much up top, ive had to lean my carb out to get it running well the needles on the top clip an that helped the revability alittle.
    strange as this if the first time ive had jetting issues.