1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc CR or WR for HS?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Grey Jay, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Grey Jay Husqvarna
    C Class

If your were planning on buying a 125 specifically for harescramble racing and didn't want to do a lot of mods to it, what one would you buy?

What mods would you do?

I have a 07 KTM 250XCFW right now and I love it but I rode my chum's 200XCW and found it to be much lighter. I have never ridden a 125 but I hear they feel even lighter than that. I am planning on buying a bike for HS racing by next spring and I like the huskys, just not sure which one. I am not fussy on the Marzochi forks and lights but I do like the idea of a wide ratio tranny of the WR. I was actually thinking of buying a KTM 150XC but I guess that is almost identical to a CR with a 144.
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Welcome to CafeHusky, Grey Jay :cheers:

I'l leave the WR vs CR question to the experts, but you might want to know that Husqvarna is now offering a 144 straight from the factory :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  3. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    This depends on how you ride.... If you ride the top end and use the clutch to regulate speed, get a CR. If you ride more at the bottom- mid, get a WR. Both bikes have the same CR 6 speed tranny ratios which work well with the 125 in the woods. Bike can still top 70 mph in 6th with stock gearing. Bigger tank on '10 WR125 is a plus for HS.

'11 WR150 is $500 cheaper than '10 150XC.:thumbsup:
  4. Grey Jay Husqvarna
    C Class

Where can I find complete specifications for these bikes? I went to the husky usa website and cannot find anything. I remember on their old website finding a pdf version in italian at one time.
  5. rpmguy Husqvarna
    B Class

My vote CR. All in the jetting and pipe. Race fuel is a must on any new race dirt bike. If you like them to run hard, and the same every time out.
  6. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I prefer WR for my riding style. More low end. Less shifting. Bigger fuel tank.
  7. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Pretty much agree with Norm....The CR is great if you can live at the top of the rev range...it definately flies when your on the boil

WR carries more flywheel effect and is more tractable with 18" wheel ..particularly in slick conditions....O ring chain is more durable...and it comes with lights and kickstand

you can in a pinch set up a CR with a stator and lights if you wish
  8. rpmguy Husqvarna
    B Class

I run my cr in 3rd and 4th 85% of the day in the woods. running 12 tooth. Just need to understand the engine. also the clutch pull is so easy you can ride them like it has recluse clucth.
  9. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is it even possible to find a CR?

JS
  10. rpmguy Husqvarna
    B Class

bills has 2010 cr125
  11. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has anyone tried a newer CR with a Keihin? I rode a 04 with a TMX and it had to be on the pipe to go but my WR wasn't much better stock. I was thinking a 2010 CR with a 144 kit and a Keihin might work good in the woods, but maybe it would be a handfull:excuseme:
  12. rpmguy Husqvarna
    B Class

Mikuni works great for me. did take a good part of a day to jet it. One thing is you cant (or I cant) ride a stock cr. Just not enough. But just a few mods and they rip. Is hard to pass a 450 in the straights, but all you do is wait for them to bobble in the tight turns, hit the pipe and blow by them LOL.
  13. bigriver Husqvarna
    AA Class

cr, doma, corbra sprarky, race fuel, will get you going. remember the cr is a race bike. the wr is a trail bike.
  14. rpmguy Husqvarna
    B Class

I race in the trails, what is a trail bike?
  15. endurokids Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250WRX, CR167, 83 430WR, TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    75 Guzzi 850T
    My sons ride stock but jetted WR 125's and they really love them for everything. We primarily race H/S and some Enduros. They are tough to beat in the muddy conditions up here.
    I vote WR. More stuff, less money.
  16. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have a 08 CR125 and love it but I rode a friends 09 WR 125 and it feels better in the woods for sure. It surprised me when I took it on the MX track and it felt very good and for my old butt it was actually easier to ride on the MX track. Now I have see new 09 WR"s with the 144 kit, FMF exhaust, jetted, ready to go for $3,999.00 it's a no brainer IMO. Bottom line Husky 125/144's are awesome bikes pick one and ENJOY.
  17. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    enduroguy with the endurokids...I race hare scrambles and for a while both boys raced also...one's in college now, but I still haul the younger on around and just bought an '09 WR125.

I think there should be more posting and pictures of everyone's local race results. The national/international stuff is really cool...but I'd like to see the rank and file race results that everybody should post...I'm talking who's racing what, where, results and pictures, post in the racing forum and be proud!
  18. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Pictures - YES! Results? I would be too embarrassed to post mine so can that be optional? :D
  19. endurokids Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250WRX, CR167, 83 430WR, TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    75 Guzzi 850T
    Paktm,
    I still have the oldest son for this season and next, (Senior this year), then it's off to college for him as well.
    He is at the top of the "B" class in WI on his 07 WR125.
    My youngest son also rides an 07 WR125 and is right on the heels of his brother most of the time. He will be a Junior this year. It makes for some fun rides home most of the time, lol. It's kinda like reliving the sibling rivalry between my brother and I. We all still race as much as we can. There are 5 of us alltogether with my nephew on his TE 250.
  20. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You guys are all having to much fun! sweeeet! I vote WR for hs because more flywheel effect = no stalling and great traction if it is slippery.