1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc CR or WR? Need advise quick....

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mnnthbx, Jun 23, 2012.

1. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thriumph Thruxton, Honda Ruckus
    I'm 200 w/ gear, race Vet C hare scrambles a few times a year, nasty single track often, and just play ride the rest. I've owned Husky 610 and 510 motards, but have always been a KTM man in the dirt. My current bike is a 300xc, Slavens Mule porting, Paul Wright suspension, and such.

I'm not riding as much anymore, and thought I'd change it up all together, as I've had a blast playing on my friend's KTM 150.

Do I get the CR or WR?

I hear the CR is faster. That tiny tank will pose an issue on single track days. Not a fan of the 19" rear, but that's not a deal breaker. I'm guessing either suspension will be way off for my weight, but is one prefered over the other? Also I see the WR is 20lbs heavier on paper. The main reason I would be leaving the greatest bike I've ever known to get a small bore would be for light weight, so I'd much prefer the CR in that regard.

I have a chance to buy a 2012 this weekend, but will hesitate until I'm confident I'm getting the right version. Any detailed advise is greatly appriciated.

Greg
  2. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    I was on the fence about deciding between a wr or a cr 144 and ended up with a wr and love it. check out my thread "new" 2010 wr 144, there are a lot of replies and info there to possibly help you decide. I am 200 with-out gear,6'2" and the wr is magic in the trails! If I had my choice, I would buy both:thumbsup:!
  3. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    We have a CR and it is awesome, planning on adding the WR tank soon. I can't compare to a WR, but would guess the CR is much better (biased). Lol. I am actually planning on getting a WR later this year just to have one.
  4. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I'm 215 with no gear and have been drooling over both CR and WR 125/144 models for 2 years. For me either one I choose I would end up swapping or adding parts for the other so I figured I'd pick the one that is less expensive to make suit me. I kick my own butt daily for not buying a new left over 09 CR when they were $3,700.00. I bought a WR250 and I'm happy but I grew up riding a 125 and wish my 250 weighed 20 less pounds.
  5. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Keep the input coming.

I understand what's involved in having or not having kickstands, big tanks, 18" wheels and such. I guess my biggest concerns are the different forks, and the different ignitions, neither of which I'm familiar with on either bike.

I've added flywheel weight to bikes over the years and understand that, but for technical riding, does the WR whywheel have a big advatage over the CR, or would I rather have that added snap? Not sure... How much do the larger tanks sell for?
  6. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I got a screaming deal on a 09 cr125, so that's what I bought and in retrospect it was the right choice for me. I like quick, explosive power in a light weight frame and it does deliver.
    I ride it all over the mountains and I personally find it easier to ride than my wr300. The only thing the 300 does better is allow me to be lazy on hills and obstacles, which isn't the experience I'm after.

19" is a non factor to me. The small tank sucks and the IMS alternative sucks too, but it does work and offers 2.9gl (I think). The suspension was terrible out of the box, but my tuner was able to come up with settings I like and I have no complaints about it now. It was a bit of a struggle to set the bike up, but it was well worth it. I think the newer models have all bugs worked out (thanks to Cafe Husky members :D) and rip from the start.

PS - I'm 200lbs w/out gear and have no complaints with power. It's honestly far more powerful than I thought it would be.
  7. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV

That thread Husky Bear posted helped me make a decision to test ride one... I saw a lot of helpful input from a lot of good people.. You should test ride a WR if you have a chance.. You will be amazed at how agile they are.. As you will see from my post I also have a KTM and since buying my new bike it's been pretty lonely sitting in my garage...
    WHITEROCKET5.9 and huskybear like this.
  8. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    It doesn't need a FWW, when I say "I have a Cr144" I mean my daughter has one. My 13 year old daughter has one that she rides/races in HS, the power is not explosive like some think. It is very controllable, she rides it in ST regularly with no problems and hills are a joke to it. The suspension is very rough for her lightweight but that is an easy fix.

The few times I've ridden it (210 without gear) it has been awesome. Power is crazy for such a small bike, and handling is unreal. Stock suspension at my weight felt great for leisure riding, if I were to race it then it would need to be sprung a lot heavier.
  9. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    i bought a stolen recovered 2007 wr125 in mint condition for $800 (blown engine been ran on std unleaded) and then bought a cr engine which i wound a lighting stator onto.
    total cost $1800, got headlight, speedo, brake light, 18" rear and switching gear with the cr engine which is like new.you can probably by a good secondhand cr motor on ebay for around $800 this gives you both options and you can always on sell.
  10. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Id go for a CR 150 if available and if you dont need the road ticket especially coming from a 300 EXC
    Tuning is a lot more finnicky on the older WRs anyway . Flywheel weight does affect down low urge at times.
  11. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have a WR150 / 165 and love it. Gearbox is same. Ignition is different. WR has larger tank. You race offroad then get the WR.
  12. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

CR I have been saying it for years.Again why do people buy a WR and then spend money trying to make it run like a CR? I have watch this question get asked for years.
    OK you need lights well it cost me 100 dollars to get Ricky Stator to rewind my Cr and it now puts out 35 watts enought to run lights.Add a battey the stock batty holder from Husky off a TE cost only 6 dollars Now you have power all the time even at a idle.Ok 19 inch wheel why do you want a big heavy 18 and a 0ring chain which is harder for the little bike to spin. If I can go for years with a 19 and NO flats then why the need for a 18.Why do you need a flywheel weight You make it a 165 and it will never stall.I just did and finished Last Dog Standing and had no problem I am one of the only guys I know on a CR that races National Desert and National in the trees,GPs,Motorcross,Enduros,Night Races and now a Last Man Standing race .All on the same bike with NO jet change or Suspention change between events Bottom line a CR is Better,Cheaper and with the money you save you can add things to it to fit your needs.
    Kevin_TE250 and Gotlabs like this.
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    From reading all the 125/150 posts I've come to the same conclusion. Hearing it from an skilled rider like you really makes me want to kick my own butt for not buying a left over 09 CR when they were $3,700.00
  14. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Keep it coming...

What's the weight difference in to bikes? Does someone offer a kickstand for the CR? I've never owned a bike w/o one, so I'm unsure how much finding a good tree will get on my nerves...
    Kevin_TE250 likes this.
  15. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
  16. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    That bike is too damn pretty to ride, :lol: I can see why your are reluctant to sell it. Why not test the 125 water with a used Husky before you part with your KTM?
    huskybear likes this.
  17. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    I don't ride much at all any more. Too many irons in the fire. Kids, new Thruxton, kids, RC racing, kids, Ruckus, kids. Fixing to get some "play" land, and will hopefully be riding more, though on a 10 minute lap trail of our own doing. Sounds like 125 material. Thought completely changing bike types may spark my interest for a bit as well....
  18. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    Your ktm looks and sounds soo good that I would almost trade my wr144 for it,... almost:lol:!
  19. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here's a specific question... At slow race pace / fast trail pace, which bike has the better fork?
  20. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    No preference I take it...