1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc cr vs. wr??

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by marshwater, Nov 8, 2012.

1. marshwater Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 TE449 (sold) '13 WB165
    looking to get a light bike to fling around in the woods. i would be riding mostly trails with an occasional light track ride. can someone explain the difference in the cr and wr? gearing? which model would be best for what i'm looking to do. got a 449 but am looking to increase the stable! thanks
  2. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Oh no not again.....:excuseme:
    If youve got a TE Id say go CR for contrast and out and out simplicity/ fun. Also cheaper?
    Gearing is the same . CR ignition makes it more snappy and easier to sort jeting . Most find it good for trails.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Both great bike. The WR is slightly more mellow power wise (ignition and flywheel) and a lighting coil. CR is more spunky and abrupt power. Same trans. WR has some stuff like kick stand, lights, 18" wheel. Both great bikes. If you don't need the lighting coil just get the one you can find the bast deal on and enjoy.
  4. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    CR. Put a 12 on the countershaft and you'll do everything the WR boys can do in the tight stuff. Get next to a WR on a fire road, twist the throttle wide open and you'll see God, but you won't see the WR until you stop and he catches up.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the CR jetting with the stock carb can be sorted out by mere mortals. The WR, on the other hand, seems to need an exorcist, a witch doctor, and a team of PHD's to tune.
    jmetteer and Tentontimmy like this.
  5. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    Unless you need lights, get the CR. I am biased though since we have two CR's.
  6. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    There's no bias about it. Just read the past 3 years of posts about WR's and CR's. Those with CR's are happy from day one. WR buyers usually spend 6 months and hundreds of dollars trying to convert their bikes from WR's to CR's. :thinking:
    jmetteer likes this.
  7. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I posted back in 2006 Why do people buy a WR and then do just about everything to make it run like a CR

Does that answer your question
    Kevin_TE250 likes this.
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Just incase you missed the other great advise........get the CR. Love my 08 CR WB165!
  9. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    I went for the wr and am now happy with it.Looking back on it all, I would have preferred the cr for the ease of jetting and the snappier power delivery. As Krieg said, you have to be a little bit of a rocket scientist to get the jetting spot on and it will change on you depending on temp and alt changes with the stock carb. I have mine pretty much sorted out now and it seems what works for one person may not work for another with these bikes. I think that they are both great choices and if you get either one you will love it! There is lots of good info in this forum by lots of good people and I am sure we are all willing to help.Keep us posted on what you decide on.:cheers:.
  10. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    I agree with Huskybear since I bought the WR. Check out my posting right after I bought my bike. :confused: Fortunately, my CDI died right after a 2 Day Qualifier this year and gave me the excuse I needed to buy the CR ignition. No question that the throttle response is much better. However, since the displacement and porting is the same from WR to CR, the jetting is the same also. The reason the CRs don't deal with it is that they spin up the motor much more quickly and don't notice the lean spot in the middle like the bog the WRs have with the heavy flywheel. I vote you buy a CR and a larger tank. :banana:
    huskybear likes this.
  11. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    so you can have a road legal - forest legal bike !
  12. marshwater Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 TE449 (sold) '13 WB165
    I like the idea of acting like I'm street legal. So should I go for the wr250? Or?
  13. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike

Is that how it is in Aus? A WR makes it street legal? Nice!

Here in Oregon, it is not that way by any means... Once in a while, someone will slip a dirtbike through the DMV, and snag a plate, but 99% of the time, that's not the case.

However, Washington recently passed you can plate any bike, with the proper equipment, meaning you can throw a light kit, a horn, etc., on a bike, and plate it. It is mainly to help peeps get from trail head to trail head without poaching asphalt. Each state is different, so check on your local laws!
  14. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I prefer the WR
  15. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    The WR has a compliance plate in Aus. Registered bikes can ride in state forests as they have third party insurance. Victoria allows bikes to have Recreational registration - that is a MX bike with lights. not complianced
    I wish we had Rec registration in QLD - then you could put a light on a CR and ride legally in the forest.

The WR 250 is a great bike and worth thinking about too - no power worries there.
  16. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV

Wow you guys have it easy........ In New Jersey they are tough on us...... If your lucky you can slip one by the DMV clerk... But it's not easy..... I'm legal to ride in the forest here because I have a plated WR and my older KTM....
  17. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    :D Guess what you need here.

yep near to nothing

officially a license plate (lost mine on a trip) and its impossible to get a replacement so why bother.

police don't stop you and if they try you don't stop for them :D

if you find one with a motor bike its a chicken chaser that can be overtaken on a mountain bike.

Robert-Jan
  18. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    I have to add that I do pay road tax here.:rolleyes:

even that the word road is questionable as the majority of people would say at first sight its a MX track (hence the need for an Off road bike)

but putting up an argument for $1.12 road tax a year for my 125 CC bike is not even worth considering.:naughty:

lets say that with a road tax on that level, It makes sure a nice guarantee for a off road riding environment in the near and distant future.;)

Robert-Jan
  19. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    I have not tried a cr so I can not say for sure. If you ride more open stuff I would say the CR, but if you ride more technical a WR may be better.
    I have my WR running very well, key is plenty of fuel off idle through mid range to get the flywheel spinning.
    huskybear likes this.
  20. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Tried both CR/WR can say that the cr does spin up a bit faster than the wr, swapped to cr rotor ect but went back to the wr setup as it seems to work a fair bit better in the horrid slimey greasy mucky slippery gooey snot that we here in the UK have had all SUMMER long
    Not had a single event/ride where the rain has turned every thing into rivers of slime and bogs all year long
    Also the WR is road legal here as are all 2 strokes:banana: Also prefer the 18" rear wheel for tyre choices as some of our rides require a trials tyre
    Side stand is worth its weight in gold as after every ride this year the poor little wr weighs more than your average truck and I cant lift it onto a stand :lol::lol: