1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc CR125 and 144 scored piston and cylinder (Pics and vid)

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by High Society, Jan 4, 2014.

1. High Society Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 DRZ400sm
    The first pics are the 125cc piston and cylinder before the 144 kit.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The videos are the 144 con rod, piston, and cylinder. I just installed the kit, and rode for an hour. I stopped to swap pipes and looked into the exhaust port and saw scoring. I'm wondering if the connecting rod is to blame? There's no up and down play, only side to side. The two look similar in damage. I'd like to get this sorted out before I do the 165 kit and the same thing happens. Are both the cylinders done for? Or can they be used for the 165?

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w9OUSdXkDk

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9v2o6z22ls
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Your 125 cylinder will absolutely need to be re-nikasilled as the lining has been flaked off above the exhaust port. Side to side play is built into the crank so it can self align. The 144 cylinder might be ok once you remove the melted piston material from the walls. You will need to check for grooving.

Did you wipe your crank down before you shot the video? It is awfully dry. What oil are you using for pre-mix? At the very least you are running very hot and something is causing that. It is either gas(lean), oil, or coolant related. Neither cylinder is ruined in the long run but will need some attention.
    jmetteer, High Society and Motosportz like this.
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I agree, looks more like you are burning them down. Compression leak, to small a main, forgot to put oil in the gas, that sort of thing.
    High Society likes this.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

For sure. Looks a lot like my buddies KX250 he forgot to add oil to.
    High Society likes this.
  5. High Society Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 DRZ400sm
    Thanks for the replies. As for oil, I was running 25:1 in the first tank of gas and 32:1 was in my fuel can. I didn't wipe down the rod. Maxima Super M is the oil I used for the mix. 460 main, 35 pj. The 144 may need the same as well during further inspection. A little flaking around the center of the exhaust port.
  6. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Coolant in the system? Weird deal for you there...
  7. High Society Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 DRZ400sm
    Yes, I made sure to add coolant in the system. My first 2 stroke experience isn't going so well ha.
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Check that you don't have a flow problem in the coolant system. Blockage, bad water pump gear, :excuseme:. Maybe an air leak. Check that you don't have a partial blockage in your main jet/crud in the float bowl.
    MOTORHEAD likes this.
  9. High Society Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 DRZ400sm
    What's the best way to check for a bad water pump gear? When draining the coolant, everything drains fine. And there was coolant dripping out of the cylinder when I removed it. I installed the jets before I even ran the bike.
    hillbilly likes this.
  10. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    pop the waterpump cover off and rotate it with your fingers when you do this the engine should turn over, some one may have left the nut loose that holds the waterpump onto the shaft.

not good and yes definetly needs relining
    sorry to see an engine in that condition.

good luck with diagnosis
  11. dirt addict Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 cr125
    Any chance your air filter isn't seated properly and you're getting dirt or sand in?
  12. High Society Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 DRZ400sm
    The water pump seems to be working fine. Spins freely while moving the crank. I double checked and the air filter was sealed fine.
  13. High Society Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 DRZ400sm
    What's the numbers on the cylinder mean? "B" Size? The piston says "A". The ring around the cylinder, does that mean the base gasket is too thick? Would this be an issue?

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. Drtrider82 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 CR125 with WB165; 13 TC250
    Base gasket would not cause this problem. The ring around the top of the cylinder is just where the pistons ring(s) have not worn the cylinder. There is still part of the piston crown above the ring groove so probably fine. I would really be looking at an air leak causing a lean condition as both pistons are indicating a lot of exhaust heat. Did the bike idle normally or was it erratic? Check around the reed block. Sure looks like a lack of lubrication to me though.
    High Society and jmetteer like this.
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Those are just casting and version numbers. The ring travel looks correct in the picture. There is only ~.010" of variation from stock base gasket dimension either way with base gasket changes. You need to first do a leak down test of your top end to make sure you have no air leaks. There is a thread on here that describes the procedure. I have seen things like a warped intake manifold cause these kinds of issues. Also even if there is coolant everywhere in your system doesn't mean you don't have a blockage. There are two ways into every area of the motor. I have seen a rag stuffed into the hoses to stop leakage during rebuild be left in and block flow, etc.

I am still a bit worried about the lack of oil film showing up in your pics. I wonder if you had the fuel separate on you and lost your lubrication. Just a thought. There should always be about 1/8" of oil in the bottom of your crankcase. Check for this and if there isn't any there you might have found an issue.
    High Society likes this.
  16. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Scoring like that for the full circumference of the piston is almost always a lubrication issue.
    High Society and huskybear like this.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Yep
  18. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Probably a dumb question, but are you sure that you are calculating/mixing the premix oil correctly?

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. :(
  19. High Society Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 DRZ400sm
    The first start up after installing the 144 seemed to idle perfect. Even after the piston failed it still ran. I mixed 2 gallons of fuel at 25 to 1. I poured 10.2 ounces of oil in the fuel can and shook it up. How long should I shake the can for? I used Maxima Super M. Is this a bad oil? The expansion pipe has a rubber oring, and a thin exhaust gasket between cylinder and pipe. I don't think it should have a leak there. The rubber boot for the exhaust pipe and chamber seems a bit loose. I assume I have to rebuild the top end before I can do a leak down test? What do I need to look for around the reed block? The mouning bolts are tight.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    exhaust leaks dont matter, intake ones do.
    High Society likes this.