1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc CR125 Ride - yeehah

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by rockdancer, Dec 13, 2010.

1. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Hey , Ive been modding my Wr 125 to improve performance , carb , head mods and had some small gains. Knowing that the Cr has a different ignition and flywheel Ive heard they go better. I was a bit skeptical of now much better untill now.
    I just took an old 04 model for a strap and straight away I noticed it to be much snappier and responsive . The thing ripped. I couldnt believe it. The owner knew nothing about Huskys, never rode it much and it just flew. 2nd and third gear wheelies without trying. :eek:
    Forget carby tuning pipes etc whatever the differences are this bike just worked. It was like a YZ if not better. I even wonder if the newer CRs are as good as this one was as Ive heard so reports that arent so good.
    It is for sale so Im thinking about having it for a track bike but it was a bit rough but a newer one - yeh bring it on.
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My 08 Cr125 rips. A friend has a 09 WR125 and even when he was running the K carb mine was snappier/faster. Mine is stock with the exception of a FMF Fatty and PC2.
  3. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The little 125 is just that a little bike The Wr has a bigger flywheel to turn a bigger rear tire to turn and a heavy o ring chain to turn no wonder a Cr is faster
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have 2 04 CR125's, great bikes and yep ripped but the WR125 and now 144 motor is far better for my needs int he woods. On the track the CR would be my pick.

had a nicely setup for the woods 04 CR, my 09 WR125 is a good bit better IMHO.

[IMG]
  5. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    that looks hot.id love something like that Kelly. Is that a larger tank? is that a gutz seat?

The other thing I noticed was the clutch seemed touchier and the compression was a lot higher when I kicked it over. It had been rebuilt not that long ago but so has mine.
    It didnt seem to have any trouble warming up - no innitial issue with getting into power band - just went straight into it . It felt like a bigger motor. No mods that I could see

It may not be as good on real technical hills with wheel spin etc but I think I could put up with it
    I dont think a 144 kit would make mine as snappy and fun as this thing was -
    I guess changing to a 144 and a cr ignition is the ticket
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yep

the bike above has a IMS tank and guts seat. Liked it.
  7. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    When Walt rode Kevins 167 in the Uptite 167 thread he commented on the older CR ignition setup giving better down low response than his maybe this has something to do with it .
    hmm
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I believe the CR ignition is better all around. But might be a bit much (to explosive) for some that are learning to ride etc. I have ridden CR's and WR's back to back many times. The CR is quicker and more explosive the WR is EZer to manage and climbs better.
  9. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    So how do we get Walt to build a variable digital igntition set up and sell it to us... (through someone else)
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I am not interested in doing any of this stuff to make money. I have made a couple of career changes to do what I really liked doing. It makes your favorite thing a job and it soon loses its shine. I know it is a fine distinction but I don't ever want to think of dirt bikes and riding as a job.

I am certainly not qualified to build a cdi unit. However I am always willing to do anything I can do to promote someone else who wants to produce one if there is a demand. Its all good and I would imagine that Kelly would be the person to market that sort of thing.
  11. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Horses for courses.... If I had unlimited traction all year (Which I don't) a CR is great, but a WR will keep you hooked up in the worst conditions. For my first 125 ride ever, I rode an '06 CR125 in the nastiest conditions... First in pouring rain on MX track and then on hillside woods HS track with 4" of wet snow. It conviced me I could ride a 125, but I knew a WR would be so much better in those conditions! I wasn't wrong.:thumbsup:
  12. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I know what you mean - you are a top bloke
    I was nt being serious - it was tongue in cheek.
    I am a bit excited by this cr I briefly rode - it was fun but wouldnt rip your arms off
    and thats what I like
  13. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Norman - I know what you mean and the traction is important but maybe only for 10% of the ride ( and yes that 10% can really be important)
    I guess if I had the cr or cr ignition I could adjust with a flywheel weight

I think a couple of others are converting as well so will see how it goes
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Ryan (RPMguy) has a 08 CR125 with a OEM 144 kit and it is FAST. By far the best running and most HP of any 125/144/167 I have rode. I rode a real fast YZ 167 a pro raced and it was about like that. Amazing. Cr ignition, advanced timing and race gas he said were the key. Ryan's bike feels literally like a good running 200. Lots of instant throttle response, great bottom end snort, sweet mid and screaming top. Would suck in slick wet leaf covered rocks and clay I ride but RULED at the open and flowing high desert stuff. I only had a short ride on that bike but knew 300 feet from the truck he had it dialed.

Ryan, you still here ????? Post up man. :thumbsup:
  15. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    In the terrain, soil types and weather conditions we ride in at home, traction is more than 10% of the equation.:eek: Some years if we waited for it to dry out, we would never ride!:busted:
  16. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I know guess the 144 kit helps with you guys
    I am just shocked at how good the CRs go - mine feels like a p shooter compared to a shot gun .
    Torque and traction is nice but horsepower is addictive :D

I guess its hard to tell which I d prefer without riding one on a full trail ride
    All I know is I want more power
  17. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    RD

My 06 CR really flew....and the way it quickly climbed to the top of the rev band...was also easier to jet ie I only had the carb apart once...man that thing was a rocketship :thumbsup:

when I got my 09 WR I was initially dissapointed...I knew it would be different...but not that much different

but... over time I started to spend more time on the WR and began to realize how much more civilized it was..with the new chassis its a great combo......and works great just about everywhere

If I was mostly desert riding...I the CR would be better in the high speed stuff...especially sand washes....the CR still has impressive low end though

more flywheel mass...slower advance curve...18" wheel w/meatier rubber...O ring chain....the WR is a more tractive beast
  18. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thanks Troy
    At least i know this bike wasnt a one off . I will keep an eye out for an 08/09/10
    I d like to have two bikes and transfer rego plates across if needed.
    I think traction can be helped with better clutch control and rider skills but I now exactly what you all mean as I am no master.
  19. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

So what would it take to convert the WR to digital without loosing the lighting coils? The JD CDI and a different CAS pickup? Could Kelly (with his Trailtech connections) come up with something? Losing the lighting coil and flywheel keeps me from going the CR ignition route.
  20. rpmguy Husqvarna
    B Class

Hey Kelly, still here. Just havent been on the forum lately . Nice looking 04. That was the bike that got me started on 125's. I modded it and it ripped, so thats when I saw the light on how much fun theses bikes can be for the weight. Is that a factory pipe for a wr125 on your bike with the dent in it? must be for the tank. My bike hasn't spun up since the wreck. Arm is doing better (not great) day after day. The last biggest adjustment I did on my bike that made a big difference was the #4.0 slide in the stock carb. Thats how kelly rode it. Cant wait to get back ON. Later Ryan we need to plan another ride. Yo PC how ya doing.