1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc CR125 Water in Float Bowl After 2-foot Water Crossings??

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by dfeckel, Nov 1, 2009.

1. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

On two separate occasions, my '08 CR125 has stalled out on the far side of a short but deep-ish water crossings. The first time was about 1.5 feet of water, revving the bike pretty well to churn my way to the other side, and it died just as I emerged at the other side. I pulled the plug and cleaned it off, but no start. Noticed after removing the plug a second time water droplets on the plug, so I drained my float bowl and the bike started immediately.

The second occasion was today, and the crossing was more like two feet. Same situation. I figured it was water in the float bowl, so I drained it and the bike started again first kick. I didn't bother pulling the plug this time.

I am using the Uptite carb vent filter with the single "in" line T'ed off and one end run up to the air box. My overflow line is stock and hangs down 6 or 8 inches below the linkage.

I am certain the water was not high enough to block off the T'ed vent line in the airbox.

How is this water getting in my float bowl???
  2. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    Airbox drain sealed?
  3. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I suppose some water could be splashing into the airbox, but how does it go from the intake to the float bowl?
  4. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Fuel line from petcock to carb clamped tight?
  5. hipsterdufus Husqvarna
    A Class

my cr always tried to stall midway through any water crossing, i added my usual 7602racing carb vent line filter, these have 2 extra ports: ran 1 line up behind the headlight, 1 up into the airbox and it blazes through water without a hitch

sounds like your carb needs more than just your 1 backup line

http://www.7602racing.com/prod_t6cf.php

hip
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I missed this... You need both top vent tubes going up.
  7. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

After the first drown out, I suspected the single line running down from the T might have sucked up some water. So for this last ride, I ran it up towards the airbox, too. So, all carb vent lines were up at about the level of the top of the airbox, i.e., nothing hanging down (except the fuel overflow hose).

Can water drawn through the air filter settle into the float bowl, or will it all just get pulled into the engine? I pulled my airbox yesterday to clean it, and there was no shortage of muddy remnants inside it, especially around the big rectangular "drain" at the bottom. Maybe once I really get the rear wheel churning water up, some water gets drawn up through that drain, through the filter and enough gets into the float bowl to kill the motor? I just can't see water being drawn into the vent hoses, or even blocked off since they are both higher than the water level.