1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st CR125/WR250 Test

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by ajaxauto, May 24, 2011.

1. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well i have finally finished my year long test .I have raced the CR125 in just about every type of race in just about every area in the west from desert to mountains from hot and dry to wet,muddy and cold .Doing Motorcross,WORC,Desert,and 10 Round of the Nationals Hare and Hound in 10 different areas in 4 different states .Plus a few night races the 125 never let me down and finished every race i entered There is really nothing i could say the bike really needed if you remember it is a 125.With that said i got a used WR250 last year to see if i would like it and after last weeken in Utha i now have done everything on the 250 that i have done on the 125. After many races i now like the 250 better
    much better .Sure the 250 has a few things that need to be worked on but the overall power is worth it .My 125 in now in the process of becomming a 167 time will see if it can make a come back .
    BUT i am now working on a Husky 300 it will have everything done to it.Except the motor the stock motor is enought for me .Everything i did not like about the WR250 will be addressed on the 300 .Lots of custom parts like a TTX rear shock
    still working on the forks either 48mm KYB or the new 48mm zokes .Bigger rear brake like the rest of the Husky line up,even a custom tank will be fitted.My plan is to build with a lot of help from
    Zip Ty Racing the best all around 300 out there .This will have to do until Husky builds a newer updated open class 2 stroke
    I am looking foward to this build and will post more about everything that gets changed but first i
    will have to get in a few test rides stay tuned
  2. Swampds Husqvarna
    AA Class

This should be a good build. I can't wait to see the progress!
  3. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

ya im pretty interested in the 300 build, was lookin at one recently..not that i need one but if it comes down a little bit im goin to try and snag it.
  4. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    big jon rules!!!
  5. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Got the bike Friday did a short break in ride but with the Kehin PKW carb still having the race set up it did not run correct.So i installed the Mikuni carb off my 2006 WR 250 you know the carb that i never mess with and makes my 250 run great everwhere .The setting on that carb are 400 main 35 pilot 3.0 slide and
    6dgy04-59 needel needel in the middle i think and the air screw like 1 1.5 turns out Anyway the bike now flat works and runs great did over 150 miles no problem anywhere
    About the bike started with a 2010 Wr 300 stock motor i feel no need for more remember i use to race a 125
    BIGGEST and most expensive add on was a Ohlins TTX shock $1400 dollars ,from David at Fast bike industries the same guy who built the shocks for Glenn Kearney bikes He used setting close to Glenns GNCC bike
    Front froks are 48mm KYB from a TC Husky redone by Ty The front and rear feel so balanced and the bike handles so well it really feels light do not know why but it does.Nothing like my 2006 WR 250 with 48mm Zokes and a Sacks shock .This 300 loves big woops and will eat them up
    The motor has the older CR 250 electronics and even with out the heavy WR flywheel weight it flat will not stall and pulls everywhere .The stock gearing of 14/48
    will do just about anything and the motor could pull a 15 /48 since it will climb any hill in second gear
    Another big thing were the BRAKES front with the wave rotor will do stoppies BUT the rear has a custom braket so as to mount a bigger rotor and the bike will flat stop .I always felt the stock rear brake was weak well not anymore
    Two of the biggest problem i had with the 250 were it did not like woops where it felt heavy and the brakes just did not work
    WELL the 300 will eat woops and then stop on a dime

Have a desert race this comming weeken and then the next weeken is a last man standing event at Glen Helen where i will see how far i can go on the 300

Will get some pictures posted soon
    MOTORHEAD likes this.
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    i want that 300!!!
  7. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Is that TTX a pain to dial in? And is it a "must have" in your opinion?
  8. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I originally talked to David and we talked about how i ride the shock came it was installed and after a few rides it works so well i would not know where to make it better.It does have many adjustments and dials to turn if you wanted. The Wr 250 only comes with a sacks so your choices are limited ,comming off a well handling cr 125 the stock Wr 250 was a big heavy bike .The Wr now handles like my 125 with a big motor in it for some reason the weight is not a factor anymore.I do not know why but it really does feel lighter .So is it a must do for me i say yes look at it this way with all the extra i have spent on this bike when all done it will be cheaper then a new stock KTM
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Did you start with a new / stock WR or is this a ex-Zip-Ty race bke or something ?
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Raced the 300 this weeken and for it being my first time out on it we had a great time ,the bike handles like a 125 and runs like a 500.Tryed to make the Kehin
    carb work for me but for some reason the Mikuni off my WR 250 is spot on and makes the bike flat run perfect from down low all the way to flat out.Anyway raced both days and finished around 4th in the open A class .As for my old stock CR 125 my son asked if he could race it and he went out and finished first both days in the 0 to 200 A class .He also finished 6th overall on Sat and 5th overall on Sun against the 250 and open class how he can keep it pinned and the little screamer does not blow up i do not understand.
    Will change a few thing this week and get ready for the last man standing race at Glen Helen
  11. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    big Jon, and son, rocks!!!
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Great news John. Did you get the carb I sent you?
  13. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes and i set it up just like my 250 carb i did order a JD carb kit for the air stricker and it just does not perform like the original carb .I am sure people smarter then me love them and they work for them
    But i need to work on the air stricker more to make it work because as of now it does not .
    The carb you sent me will go on the 250 and the original 250 carb will stay on the 300 for now
  14. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    That's awesome man!
    I'm going the opposite way right now. My 300 has been dialed in and running great for a few years and I just got a cr125. The cr feels like 1/2 the mass of the 300 and it rips pretty good when you got it singing, but nothing like that 300. That thing will pull your arms off as it smashes through a brick wall if you're not careful. Anyway, I'm not scared of the 125 so I think I'm actually quicker on it that vs. my 250 or 300. At least at the mx track where there's no mountains.

That Ohlins shock sounds sweet. Saw a yz250 with one the other day and it looked like it was working real well for him.
  15. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The Ohlins TTX shock is worth the money it tranforms the bike into something much better then stock
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

John,
    What were the jets in the carb I sent? Been so long I have no idea what I was using to get it to work above 8000'