Crashed my Terra off road......fak!!

Discussion in 'TR650' started by James Rideout, Jun 7, 2016.

1. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Off roading last week and my front tire hit a tree stump. I went over the handle bars and the bike flipped and landed on top of me.

Good thing I was on soft muddy ground because that would of hurt, all it did was push me into the mud a little further....little sore for a few days but all is good. Managed to get it up right and drive home so it was a good day.

My Terra didn't fair so well. I cracked my tail section/plate holder....yup I got 13,000km, mostly dirt at fairly high speeds and it took a fall to crack it....not bad lol

My radiator is also busted. Not leaking but it cracked both top mounts completely off just before the rubber mounting bushings and the lower left mount is almost cracked all the way though.....its toast!! :(

I was going to try to epoxy it back together but I don't think it will hold

Called my Husky dealer and it costs $560 Canadian (approx. $440 American) for a new radiator and $80 Canadian ($63 American) for the new tail section. 1/3 of the price of a Tidy Tail. Those prices include shipping but not the tax.

I've looked all over the net and this forum and cannot find another source for the rad or the tail section. Dealer prices are usually inflated...sometimes but very rarely they are the cheapest though. I cant find anything on ebay either.

Bike is laid up until I get the rad fixed at least.

Can anyone else on here point me in a different direction?
  2. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Try ktm-parts.com

Also, the epoxy that has been recommended for gluing the 3d printed airfilter frame to the airbox would likely be useful and structural for the radiator plastic. I'm guessing the airbox and radiator probably use similar plastics. The specialty epoxy isn't cheap and requires an applicator, but look it up, maybe it's easier and/or cheaper to acquire. It's 3M Scotch-Weld Structural Plastic Adhesive #8005 or #8010, http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...uestions-thread.850525/page-200#post-24121125
  3. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Sorry to hear about the crash - lucky you're in one piece and the bike fixable.

Re the radiator, I recall reading somewhere on ADVrider about a BMW Dakar/ GS650 rider getting a cheap Chinese radiator which worked fine apparently - perhaps post up on the relevant thread on ADV and ask the question. I know WayneC who is posts here and ADV frequently, knows the BMW 650s inside out - he would know.
  4. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    I crashed a couple of years ago & the rad lost all it's coolant. The thing was all twisted up.
    A local rad guy straightened it then pressure tested it and not leaking any more. Go figure?
    So I have a spare.
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
  6. DandyDisco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    TU250 SL230. CT110
    Great to hear you didn't get hurt.

I got cleaned up by a car couple years ago. Same thing, all the mounts on the radiator broke off.
    It didn't leak and it was going to take a while for all the replacement parts to come in.
    So I just made all the tabs and mounting points out of thin sheet metal. Pop riveted them on. It worked very well.
    No problems for over 10000 k's of hard outback riding.

Cheers
    Greg
    nev.. and PaulC like this.
  7. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    I tried ktm-parts.com but i need a US postal address. Why the f%$k offer international shipping if you need a US mailing address for them to ship. They quoted me shipping prices but i need a US address first before they send me the parts in Canada.
    Its even written in their international shipping policy.

This makes no sense to me, for some reason it makes perfect sense to them...wtf....or am i the one confused.
    PaulC and justintendo like this.
  8. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I was able to start an order with Honda Canada's address info. Not sure where the hang up is...
  9. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I went down Saturday afternoon in heavy traffic. Some guy in a small car locked his brakes up in front of me. I tried to stop but the rear tire got sideways to my left and I high sided over the bars. It was that or run into the car. Sprained right ankle and a broken collar bone. Helmets are the best, probably saved me. Anyway I hit the pavement hard. Lessons to be learned, don't follow so close, I was at least 4 car length back and thought that was enough, speed, I was going about 30 mph and the limit was 25 mph, I was going with the traffic flow, fatigue, I had just worked a 40 hour week of hard labor-roofing 4 staging pipes high, age 67 may be pushing the limit but just need to ride in less traffic or off road. Cops and ambulance responded after a while 5 minutes. The most impressive turn out of bikers were next to me in an instant, 6 or 7 bikers all stopped to help me out. Helped me up, undid my helmet strap, took my gloves off and helped me over to a big coping stone to sit down, picked up my bike too. A biker chick asked me if there was anyone I needed to call, her name was Daniele, she called my wife and told her I'd been in a minor accident and he'd like to talk to you. As I hobble around today missing work I think how lucky I was, it could have been much worse. Bike faired pretty good too, bent front brake lever, scratched foot peg. Altrider crash bars are the best Edit 7/18/16, I got to thinking after this happened the road condition may have been a factor. A boat pier is next to the road I crashed on and people floor it to exit and enter so I know their is rubber build up, possibly oil and residue from boats too. Seemed to happen much to quick, I have had my rear wheel sideways before and regained control, I went down quick. Road was like greased owl shit. ABS no but next bike yes.
    DeLewis likes this.
  10. Newfoundlander Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Im glad you are ok. Could have been much worse!
  11. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Bikers are the best at helping other bikers. When a biker is having difficulties, usually other bikers are the first to respond, while car drivers have the tendency to look at you as if you're an alien (unless they are bikers themselves).

Having some experience in street riding in heavy traffic (Rome), the tip I would give anyone is to never follow a car preceding you at the middle of the lane, but instead stay behind the left taillight (or right, if you're riding on a highway with a lane on the right). I know it's something that takes some time to get used to, but that way you would be much quicker at dodging the car in front of you, and also your tires will not attract all the waste in the middle of the lane. (Also, I'm not saying it condescendingly. :))
    johnsweet likes this.
  12. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Glad to hear that you're not too badly banged up - or the bike. Get well soon!
    johnsweet likes this.
  13. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Glad to hear you are alright, just takes a bit longer to heal is all.

There is a nice Strada on Ebay for $4k, with only 500 miles on it. It has abs and should keep your rear wheel planted.
    johnsweet likes this.
  14. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:

I doubt she'd go for me buying another motorcycle. With a collection of 3 Bultaco 350 Sherpa Ts, A street legal 73 Rickman Zundapp 125E, and the Husky TR650. The Bulatco's and Rickman are restored so maybe if I can sell one or two of these machines I could buy something with ABS. But I really want a Husky 701 or KTM 690r
    PaulC likes this.
  15. Masterpotter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R27, R100, R1200gs,DT1,
    Did a slow speed crash a few weeks ago and busted most of the mounting tabs off the radiator(no leaks). So looking to replace it. It looks looks like the f650 uses the same one. Anyone have both bikes and check this out?
    Plan b would be to build a housing to surround the radiator or fit one from another bike.
  16. Newfoundlander Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Did you have crash guards on the bike?
  17. Masterpotter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R27, R100, R1200gs,DT1,
    No. I think less is more. The ones for this bike stick out far enough to hook vines and small trees so I chose to not run them. The wings stick out past the front of the crash bars. I think crash bars in this case would not of helped.
    The mounting for the radiator is on the down tube and the wings. A push or a hit on the front of the wings moves the radiator to the rear and breaks the mounts from the wings and/or the radiator.
    The f650 radiator seems to be the same size but not the same tabs. It does have a bmw part number on it.
  18. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I did a slow speed crash (3MPH) and a higher speed (25 mph) crash, crash guards saved my radiator and the plastic wings. Only thing that got damaged on the higher speed crash was the front brake lever and the foot pegs. Altrider crash guards have paid for themselves.
    PaulC and Newfoundlander like this.
  19. gullywasher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ6, Beta 300RR
    I high-sided my Terra on the street last summer at a fairly low rate of speed - less than 25 mph for sure, probably closer to 15 mph if I had to guess. Crash bars took the hit like a champ. I don't even think they bent (at least as far as the naked eye can tell anyway.) Busted a turn signal (replaced), pretzelled the handle bars (I really wanted a ProTaper anyway), marred up the foot peg slightly (still perfectly functional) and bent the passenger foot peg mount (which I "fixed" with a sledge hammer.) No injuries to me at all fortunately.
    Mark_H likes this.
  20. rride Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650, someday
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F650 Strada, Kawasaki Versys 650

Radiator crash guards and dual PIAA horns (w/relay and thick wire harness to horns) are my first 2 accessories for any bike: the rest can wait. Safety First!

http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=373
    [IMG]